Author Topic: 3D Printed commissioned artwork  (Read 28265 times)

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
Re: 3D Printed commissioned artwork
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 12:18:12 AM »
Back from GenCon! Letting the dust settle (and get a paycheck next week) and I'll be ready to make an order!

You'll probably need to PM me with the details of what you need me to do though. :)

Lyc~

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 09:52:34 PM »
sent a pm

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 08:14:12 PM »
Mysterious donor:

Thank you for the BuildTak!

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 09:55:32 AM »
sent a pm
PM received and responded!

Looking forward to the outcome, and money well spent, my friend! :)

Lyc~

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 11:01:49 PM »
Update time!

2 lbs of white plastic for R&D arrived today -

Along with a few sheets of BuildTak (again, thanks to my mysterious donator for pointing out a few critical points and helping me with all that communication breakdown)

Which means I shouldn't have to deal with (RAGEFACE) this:

Acetone, melted plastic slathered on glass. A time consuming and toxic chemical to work with. GONE.

The funny thing about this BuildTak, AND Afinia... A time ago I was informed by a donator, I contacted Afinia (The maker of my printer) inquiring about the compatibility of BuildTak and originally it was stated that there was no compatibility nor was there plans for it. In addition to this I also inquired about an upgrade to my printer to the next model up, allowing for auto calibration. I get a BIG FAT NO. Which anyone with knowledge on how to build a 3D printer would tell you that was a flat out LIE. The holes in the chassis for the next model up ARE THERE. Iv'e noticed a pattern with Afinia. I get shut down and the door slammed in my face every time I try to get customer service out of them.

After some time passed, I was again informed by a donator and then I contacted BuildTak directly to see if they had anything compatible, because on their website, they did NOT. BuildTak responded with "To answer your question: Afinia is one of our customers and we have a special agreement with them, whereby they distribute BuildTak to their customers themselves."

Thanks for being jerks, Afinia.  :P

When dealing with me, Afinia drops the ball on all levels. Reliably. In fact; Trinus managed to lock a tractor beam onto me thanks to Afinia's bumbling.

I have a few orders to keep me busy, I'm also am working on a new-ish thing, sculpting auras with peg attachments.

When I get back to doing action figure development I hope to generate enough to get those dark and light skin tone filaments.

I see Trinus in my future. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTEqnEtqJHw

Thank you good people for all your attentions.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:13:39 PM by Mister Hassenpheffer »

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2016, 07:33:57 AM »
Wow, that sounds a little like my relationship with Comcast, aside from toxic chemicals LOL (but that's another story ;) )

Good luck with the R&D!

Lyc~

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2016, 10:32:32 PM »
It's awesome that you're doing this...

Because apparently it's got a future: Star Trek Online announced they're working with a 3D Printing firm to offer 12" replicas of player's starships to be 3D Printed and sent to their door. https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10142383 (At a nominal cost, of course, they're not doing this for free.)

From the shots I've seen and the painted surfaces, it might be a Sand Prototyper they're using for the 3D Print.  Downside: brittle, which is why they come with stands to discourage touching.  Upside: these things have far higher detail than plastic printers can offer, and no struts or stands are needed to defeat gravity (I've seen one in action: Sand is layered into a bed, and glued into position.  The finished prototype is vacuumed out of the sand bed and dusted.)  The finished print is taken out of the printer and the operator then either covers it in a resin for maximum durability, or sprayed in a brine solution to increase it's strength (if this step is skipped, it's as vulnerable as soft chalk.)  This step is done outside of the printer.

Keep up the good work, with any luck there might be jobs in doing this someday! :D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 10:44:51 PM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2016, 11:56:50 PM »
Thank you!

Just a quick peek under the hood, Here's a model being separated into layers, prepping for unification.

Here's a set of wings going through the thickening process (completely manual)

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2016, 03:26:13 PM »
Looks fantastic! The really cool thing about your efforts is players being able to have their hero (or villain) in physical form that they can always keep. :)

Lyc~

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 09:55:10 PM »
Update time.  Lately Iv'e been having problems with misprints.

Cause: Lack of proper temperature settings will cause smearing, burning and jams both in the nozzle and hot end. This goes for all 3d printers, not just Afinia.

Afinias software is locked down. There's no decent way to hack it that I know of to properly adjust anything especially the temp.

Solution: Thermal regulator.

I also needed a new nozzle (yike$), I learned from experts each time a roll of filament gets changed so should the nozzle. Now I need to find some babyfood jars for an acetone bath.

It was pointless to install the new nozzle until that regulator was installed, otherwise it'd be more jams and failures and arg to that.

It was a pain in the rear waiting for those parts to get in. Hopefully soon I'll have something decent and wolf like to showcase for all you good peoples.

Last Known Hero

• Minion
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 09:32:31 PM »
Is this still open?

I have a 3D printer and would love to attempt this!

Are these models taken from CoH or recreated? I would love even more to know how to view their models.
Contender's Lil Bro - Stone/NRG Tank
Freedom

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 08:41:56 AM »
sent a pm

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2016, 06:47:30 AM »
Just got the first one the other day!

It's beautiful! I'll put up pictures once I get it assembled and painted (and since it's a gift, after it has been received ;) )

Appreciate all the time and effort you put into it!

If anyone is looking to place orders with Mister Hassenpheffer, he does great work and puts the effort into making it 'just right'.

Lyc~
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 06:52:38 AM by Lycantropus »

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 01:46:52 AM »
I am looking forward to the pics :D

trumans

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 06:55:41 AM »
Cool have you painted these yet?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 07:38:20 PM by trumans »

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2016, 01:43:28 PM »
Sure have! Finally got her assembled and painted. She now has her gift, so now I can shamelessly promote Mister Hassenpheffer's modeling skills (as well as my painting skills ;) ) She loved it, which made me very happy, and since it's her gift, is what really matters.

Here's the original character/costume I was working from.

And here's a basic overview, with a quarter to illustrate the impressive size of the model

The face and torso I gave the most attention to, because frankly, the face can make or break the piece. Note that I added in shading using different gradients of paint and drybrushing (using a darker tan on the skin, for instance) since the model itself doesn't really have a lot of texture to it, though the framework to create all that is still there, as you can see (textures of the models are part of the overlay skins in-game). I also had to hand-mix the paints for the dress and hair to get a better match, and went over the hair with a darker red and then a white drybrush to add those layers to the hair (the hair color in game was a pale red with a white underlay)

While I couldn't copy the details of the top 'exactly' I wanted to give it enough attention that the 'feel' of it is the same. If the model were larger, I may have gone and touched up with some darker purple and silver drybrush to highlight some of the details to give it that 'sheen' the actual model has, but ultimately I decided that it looked fine, and too much futzing would probably mess it up.

Another bit of detail I was proud of is the strapping on the boots.

And an overall profile to show the sword details and the overall model.

Oh! And here's her back to see where the wings are connected, and the drybrushing I did on them to get them to pop. Since I knew I was going to have to mail it out once completed, I re-inforced the wings with a bit of duct tape just to make them a little stronger, but that choice was deliberate, so as to also add a bit of texture to the wings to give it that celled/insect look that makes that drybrushing really look nice.

The fine details and outlines were done with a precision art pen to complete the look. I also included a little package of blue and purple butterfly confetti for the aura. I was considering making a mobile out of sturdy wire and fishing line, or finding a glass dome to put over her and attach the 'aura' to that (but decided against the dome because then it'd look like she was captured!) Ultimately I did neither out of time constraints, as I wanted to get this to her before the big holiday mail rush set in.

I really, really, have to give kudos to Mister Hassenpheffer for his dedication to making sure all the little details came out perfectly. You can tell in the model that he really wants to get the best print, and with such delicate pieces just having the female frame, along with the swords, wings... and the head details in general (wow- getting that head aura to actually happen! Just... wow)

I look forward to commissioning more in the future! :)

Lyc~

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 10:13:40 PM »
THANK YOU!   

I'm in awe! That paint job is better than anything I could've done.

Very cool! I'm so glad she loves it!

Awesome all the way around!

News: The good folks at build tak contacted me about the availability of the (experimental) flex plate system (THANK YOU Kayla Jacobs!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaIIuiiKReo

Parts have been ordered and will ship as soon as they are ready... This means one of the most annoying and dangerous rituals of 3d printing will be a thing of the past; model removal...

<3
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:36:41 PM by Mister Hassenpheffer »

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2016, 07:07:31 AM »
Thank you for your praise, Mister Hassenpheffer. It made her happy, and that was enough. That I you say I did justice to your work in creating the model is a bonus. :)

Also, YAY to the new flex-plates!!

Lyc~

Stevens

• Underling
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2019, 11:41:05 AM »
Is this still open?

I have a 3D printer and would https://www.virtualpalomarwest.org/sizegenetics-review/ the sizegenetics to work love to attempt this!

Are these models taken from CoH or recreated? I would love even more to know how to view their models.

Hi Cool have you painted these yet ?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 03:36:32 PM by Stevens »

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2022, 11:12:29 AM »
This is as far as I have gotten on the project before life took my efforts and changed for the worse.