Author Topic: Avast reported program as malware  (Read 5536 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Avast reported program as malware
« on: April 03, 2016, 06:37:50 PM »
Yeah, it went there  >:(.  I am trying to find a way to get avast to let me run the stupid thing.  I'm very ticked off at Avast now.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: Avast reported program as malware
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 07:04:49 PM »
Ok scanned it on other scanners, it's indeed just avast.  So I added all three parts of the program to exceptions.  Got in paragon chat, yippy.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Poetic Soul

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:34:32 AM »
Can you say how you added all three parts? Avast alerted on two, and I successfully added one exception but it's showing the same path for the second mart and I can't get it to go away.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 04:07:17 PM »
I went into options and added exclusions, I also went into the virus vault to restore and add to exceptions.

Sorry for the deley, I lost the internet for the rest of the day thanks to Cox deciding it was fun to do maintenance and then my connection never came back after  >:(.  That actually ticked me off more than Avast.

undeadslayer69

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 12:45:37 AM »
Thank you for finding this fix for the Avast issue quickly and letting everyone know about it.  I just used your advice and I am now back on Paragon Chat!!  I was about to loose my mind, after being away from The City for so long, then to get it back only to have my Anti-Virus software tell me "DENIED!!!" was making me borderline postal!! (jk)

Thank you again!!!! "Rage subsiding..."  "All systems functioning normally."

freewaydog

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 11:58:16 PM »
I'm sorry, I do not know how to delete my messages here.  I am reposting new information.  I want to know the workaround for this "Avast" issue.  No, uninstalling Avast & getting a new antivirus is not an option!  I would prefer a fix.  I tried "reporting it as a false positive"--only to make it worse.  Now I cannot get past this, even if I turn off the protection.  I do not see an option on my avast to make exceptions.  Here is a screenie:

I want to know how to solve this!  PLEASE!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:20:03 AM by freewaydog »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 12:10:58 AM »
I think Avast took away my game!  >:(  I gotta redownload!
No it didn't. Please keep your complaints in one thread so we can keep replies to you in one thread.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

freewaydog

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 01:20:47 AM »
No it didn't. Please keep your complaints in one thread so we can keep replies to you in one thread.
Please see above that I reposted, thank you.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 06:11:55 AM »
1. Stop using Tequilla.  You do not need it anymore; it's only use is to download i24 for you.
2. Open Avast and click on the cog wheel, a new window opens
3. Click Active Protection on the left side of the Avast Settings window, a new window opens
4. Click Customize next to File System Shield, a new window opens
5. Click Exclusions on the left side of the File System Shield Settings window, a new window opens
6. Click Add, a new row is created
7. Click browse, a new window opens
8. Go through the tree on your boot drive (Usually C:), you are looking for C:\Users\freewaydog\AppData\Roaming\ParagonChat   (Obviously, replace freewaydog with whatever your username is on your computer)
9. If you cannot see the AppData folder, you probably have system folders hidden. In that case, open up a Windows Explorer window (NOT Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, the thing that lets you look at your drives), and in the address bar, PASTE the following:   %APPDATA%\ParagonChat

This will open to the correct folder. Then just click back in the address bar, and COPY what's in there (highlight, right click, select copy).  Then CLOSE the browser popup you had open in Avast, and instead just PASTE (right click, select paste) into the textbox that's next to the browse button.

Click OK.  You have now added PC to your exclusions list.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:31:11 PM by FloatingFatMan »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 09:20:04 AM »
No one in my extensive household uses Avast anymore.  It stopped being a decent antivirus about a year and a half ago.  Now it doesn't do much except data-collect on your surfing habits for Avast's parent corporation.  There are other antivirus programs out there, yes, for free or minimal pay, that are much better than Avast, which at this point I would call malware.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 01:51:02 PM »
In addition, you'll want to restore the file Avast has quarantined, if you haven't already; the same as LaughingAlex did.

Open Avast.
Click Scan (the magnifying glass).
Click Scan for viruses, but don't start a scan when the options appear.
At the very bottom, click Quarantine (Virus Chest).
On the window that pops up, right click ParagonChat.exe or whatever parts of Paragon Chat appear there.
Select Restore from the context menu.
If there are more than one Paragon Chat file in the quarantine, restore the others.

freewaydog

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 04:24:29 PM »
I figured it out, thanks!