Author Topic: Paragon Chat 1.0  (Read 108245 times)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
Re: Paragon Chat 1.0
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2016, 12:41:32 AM »
I got a new computer (laptop) with Windows 10 over the winter, and never installed Paragon Chat. With the release of 1.0, I decided to do so. In the event that it can be of use, here is my experience:

I already had tequila (just the .exe) downloaded, for when I got around to doing this. I ran it last night, and it seemed to install things correctly, so I went to bed.

I opened Paragon Chat, and logged in via PC successfully. Rather than getting the CoH loading bar, as I had in the past, I was immediately taken to the character list of (I assume) the default server. Unfortunately, there is no sound at all, even when I turn my volume up to 100.

Creating a character took some time, but I got it done :p .  Things seemed to go well. I went into the game, and opened the options to check volume. When I went to that tab, the "apply now" button was blinking. So I clicked it. Not sure what happened. Other than the sound, everything else seems to work fine, though.

Edit: Quit PC. Opened Icon. Unfortunately, it has no sound either. Same with icon in NPC edit mode. SO it must be some issue with CoH and my computer, not PC.

On the plus side, this is the first of 3 laptops I've played on where the game actually recognizes \ as its own key, and not ] instead (or whatever that oddity was).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:58:43 AM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2016, 02:01:52 AM »
Ah, the torrent may still be active, but the link to download it here is dead. Wasn't sure if there were any other links to get the torrent file around. There probably are, but I'm a little out of touch, sorry.

The one I'm seeding is here:

https://spideroak.com/browse/share/COX_DEMOS/2000/RECORDS_COX/Torrents/

Highlight the file and then use the download link that appears on the right side of the screen.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2016, 09:12:12 PM »
I was immediately taken to the character list of (I assume) the default server.

Just to be perfectly clear, characters are not stored on a server. They are stored in a database file on your local computer. Previous versions of Paragon Chat had to live with the default COH client logon screen and log on twice. That really confused a lot of people, but there wasn't anything that could be done about it.

Now we have a new logon screen that is streamlined by removing the useless password field, automatically using a default account that matches your XMPP name in most cases, etc. Multiple local accounts are still a supported feature for if you have a ton of characters, but you have to consciously decide to use it by hitting the back button.

Unfortunately, there is no sound at all, even when I turn my volume up to 100.

Not sure on that one. Checked the system mixer to make sure it's not muted on a per-program level? You can run Paragon Chat with -debug -debug (yes, twice) in order to see the client console, there might be some clues in there if it can't initialize your audio device.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2016, 09:38:48 PM »
Just to be perfectly clear, characters are not stored on a server. They are stored in a database file on your local computer.

Right, I was using the live game nomenclature.

I will try double debug when I get a chance.

Edit: Actually, I'll check the system mixer first. I had no idea you could mute specific programs, so I doubt that's it, but it's a simpler check first, hopefully.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Twi

• Connoisseur of Fine Imports
  • Lieutenant
  • Defender
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2016, 12:22:51 AM »
That cel filter is pretty amazing, I love it.
I am a defender and so can you.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2016, 01:56:02 AM »
Is Atlas Park 33 Foundation a real thing?

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2016, 02:20:35 PM »
That cel filter is pretty amazing, I love it.

I was pleasantly surprised by how effective it was.  But I think that's because CoH had models (albeit lower geometry models...) that were nicely painted/textured with bit map art.  The characters never appeared 'sub-human' or 'vacant' or 'plastic' as with Champions.

The revelation that it has 'knobs and buttons' not hooked up yet to the interface is an interesting revelation.

Cel-shader.  In general, I like it.  I like comics and cartoons.  It doesn't always 'work' on everything.

More intriguing to me is that Codewalker could do this at all...

...it teases at what's possible for the future of Paragon Chat.

Azrael.

Primus1

• Minion
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2016, 08:59:54 PM »
Love the Cell shading option.  I'm keeping it on for a while.
I don't like CO but I enjoy it in COH

Ectokin

• Minion
  • Paragon City lives in me
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2016, 02:03:49 PM »
I wish you would get a Mac install for Paragon Chat *sob*.
I have Icon 1.7 installed thanks to Manga, Shout out and props to Manga !!
Would love to get Chat running though on my Mac.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2016, 03:30:49 PM »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 05:07:48 PM by Manga »

impiousimp

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2016, 02:35:10 AM »
AVG virus protection sees it as a threat.  This should be fixed immedietly.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2016, 03:06:35 AM »
Right, let me just call them up and tell them to fix it...

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2016, 03:53:44 AM »
No way to do that. Heuristics will always catch false positives.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2016, 07:37:14 AM »

OR, alternatively you could just wind back your demands and add it to your exclusions list?

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2016, 12:02:15 PM »
Avira's an ass for this as well. I've even added ParagonChat to the exclusion list and it still flags it up when I turn my computer on.

Primus1

• Minion
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2016, 07:13:56 AM »

or else....  :roll:

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2016, 12:54:06 PM »

Sophos Home doesn't seem to complain about ParagonChat.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2016, 04:47:31 PM »
The day after the final PC 1.0 release, I started getting alerts from Symantec.

When I first added a folder exclusion, I added the wrong folder -- "Paragon Chat".  After a second round of alerts, I realized my mistake and added the "ParagonChat" folder. 

That stopped the alerts.

Anyone having continuing alert problems might want to verify they haven't made my mistake.

What's funny is none of the versions prior to 1.0, to include the beta 1.0 candidates, ever triggered Symantec.

Linuial

• Lieutenant
    • Survivor: a City of Heroes novel
Re: Paragon Chat 1.0...bugs?
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2016, 09:35:24 PM »
Is there a place for ParagonChat bug reports?  This appears to be a dead thread.  (I was a poet and didn't know it...) 

CodeWalker, congratulations, and magnificent job.  As a retired professional computer programmer/analyst/systems analyst, etc., I am completely blown away by what you have accomplished. 

I don't know if you are aware that 1.0 isn't recognizing /customwindow as a legitimate command.  At least, for me it isn't.  With or without an argument. 

/bind_load and /bind_save do work, but they reference two different folders.  /bind_load pulls from C:\PCC\Settings\ while /bind_save saves to %APPDATA%\ParagonChat\Client\Settings.  It works just fine as along as I copy the file from one folder to the other.  I note you have no arguments for /bind_load...perhaps you could add that to your list of things to do?  It'd be great to be able to pull different keybind sets for different toons. 

All hail the mighty CodeWalker!  :-D 
Liberty and a plethora of others.  Altaholic.  SG Starfire.
"...and it's never too late to stop being afraid..." 
"...have you ever been caught in a sea of despair?
"And your Moment of Truth is the day that you say, "I'm not scared!"
"Unity" - - Shinedown

Linuial

• Lieutenant
    • Survivor: a City of Heroes novel
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2016, 09:43:49 PM »
The day after the final PC 1.0 release, I started getting alerts from Symantec.  When I first added a folder exclusion, I added the wrong folder -- "Paragon Chat".  After a second round of alerts, I realized my mistake and added the "ParagonChat" folder.  That stopped the alerts.  Anyone having continuing alert problems might want to verify they haven't made my mistake.  What's funny is none of the versions prior to 1.0, to include the beta 1.0 candidates, ever triggered Symantec.

saipaman, I have Norton Internet Security, and it not only alerted on version 0.99 paragonchat.exe as a Trojan, it insisted on deleting it every time I tried to install it.  Even putting it in the "Exceptions" list only got it a step further....then SONAR started deleting it.  (SONAR is a part of NIS that doesn't have its own Exceptions list, or at least I can't find it.)  I finally got it installed, and then it did exactly the same thing when 1.0 came out and I tried to install it (April 2nd, so as to miss the cell-shading).  I fully expect to have to fight it again when the next update comes out. 

The message I've gotten each time is that not only is it a Trojan, but that it is being auto-deleted (without my okay) because "fewer than 50 Norton users have used it".  I realize that expecting Norton to change something like this is out of the question, but is there any chance that having enough PC users contact Symantec about the program might get it off their "under 50 users" list? 
Liberty and a plethora of others.  Altaholic.  SG Starfire.
"...and it's never too late to stop being afraid..." 
"...have you ever been caught in a sea of despair?
"And your Moment of Truth is the day that you say, "I'm not scared!"
"Unity" - - Shinedown