Author Topic: OSV's  (Read 3698 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
OSV's
« on: March 01, 2016, 03:12:06 PM »
What's your feelings about Onslaught Villains?

I have to run halfway across the map to get the daily mish even though there is a new Onslaught Vendor in Ren Cen after the vendor mixup patch.  Players without a sub only get to be an OV how often....? (I dunno but it's less.) So there's less participants. And then what the whole event boils down to anyway is you pop a temp super magnified Become and walk halfway across the map so you can invite people to come beat on you until you're bored. And then when someone else does all this you are motivated to go beat on Them until you are bored due to you need two currencies for the new gear doing all this gives you - one's gained from giving a beating, one's gained from being beat on.

After going through these motions way more than I would want to do I can get some of the best gear in the game. Wha? So they're basically paying me off to make Ren Cen lass boring.

Oh and it adds lag where everyone duels and now Vendors.

Just popped into my head due to the Silvers Get To Be An OSV Daily week ad in the launcher and what my reaction was.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: OSV's
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 03:49:45 PM »
I played it on the first day it was out, and it was fun at first but, I got bored quick, and saw it was a particularly lengthy grind.  It's just a system that doesn't impress me.  They were like "want to play a villain?  Ok, but you get to play OUR villains, not make your own!".  It's like they twisted the concept into a player getting to be the raid victim.  But then I think they made it so you had to target non healers or something utterly stupid, so there is no real thrill of a real fight, just as well have had an AI do it know?

I think it was really done because rampages were dying off in popularity.  Which considering how boring and tedious grinding rampages was, didn't surprise me.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 04:33:55 PM »
It's a grind... And... They brought a slot machine to a poker game.

There's no skill involved with getting some of the best gear in the game.

Then again... a lot of the best gear in the game we can just outright buy. What's the difference... hmmm.. Outright buying seems way less cheesy?
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 01:20:00 AM »
Onslaught for me was fun for the first week or so, then it became a grind and I stopped caring about it or doing it. At some point Cryptic might realise that the solution to people getting bored of grinding is not to add new things to grind even more, but I doubt it.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 02:11:56 PM »
I became Grond, once. Made a few runs to the Onslaught vendor for the guardian token daily before I realized "what am I doing".

I can see why it was fun when it was shiny and new. It was shiny and new. I got into people getting into it in the beginning but that was about it. It's a cool idea and it was fun to hear people having fun.

I guess if you're still into it then it's as good a way as any to grind for gear.

Dunno why it makes a difference but completely non skilled grinds that result in top of the line gear insult my gaming sensibilities. I mean, I got over being able to Buy everything... Why does this bug me.

Some Faves:

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 03:24:04 PM »
I really did like it, but they failed to expand on the system and put an end to it with the epic lair. What was needed were additional activities and objectives, possible new modes of play in the other zones even.
Love the game, but the trend in this game and CoH seemed to be releasing something, tantalizing with the prospect of expansion, then completely disappointing in that.
Spess

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 03:57:09 PM »
I really did like it, but they failed to expand on the system and put an end to it with the epic lair. What was needed were additional activities and objectives, possible new modes of play in the other zones even.
Love the game, but the trend in this game and CoH seemed to be releasing something, tantalizing with the prospect of expansion, then completely disappointing in that.

I think what separates CO from CoH is that, CoH did not focus on end games, and was more variety focused.  It'd continue old stories every so often, but when you look at things like the Rikti War Zone, or Cimerora, you notice that the stories were designed to allow for newer stories.  Hell, even earlier issues preceeding Issue 10(Invasion), hinted that the rikti would come back for round 2.  In the case of the Cimerorans, the story focused on what the 5th column was doing since they got their butts kicked by the Council.  The thing though, no matter what the content, be it earlier game, mid game, late game or even "end game"(which was not CoX's focus, even with incarnate content), CoX had multiple stories to tell and they often lead to other stories.

In a way, though, CoX had enough updates that you saw a lot of improvement in the writing.  In a way, it wasn't so much as trying to achieve perfection, though, as it was going for the highest levels of refinement it could.  It's developers were like blacksmiths in medieval times; they were always refining and experimenting with their work.

The other difference CoX has to CO, is that CoX didn't try to twist things into something half done.  If it did, it was never intentional, was rare, and the devs would return to fix/finish it.  CO always did so intentionally.  The rampages were done for a need for end game content that the devs were hopeful enough people would play.  Because people stopped playing the rampages, and players had asked endlessly for the ability to make and play a villain, well, the devs had a "AHA!" moment.  The "AHA!" moment was to make players play raid bosses.  Not let them make their own villains as they asked, but play pre-made raid bosses.  When popularity faded within record time again as I predicted(in zone chat no less), they decided to make a new lair at the request of try hards.  Of course, I'm sure it's dying in popularity to with how repetitive it has to be, especially since I read people use trinity teams in it, to, and how punishing it is(that is, every single player has to be perfect in the puzzles).

CoX refined it's stuff.  CO never refines anything.  CO instead changes on a whim to try and pander to players with a narrow view of how games should be played, OR it tries to half-ass everything.  It's in a constant state of doing the minimum, instead of going for the gold medals.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 04:06:38 PM »
I dunno that TA puts an end to OSV'ing. There's a lot of people that can't/don't want to TA and there seems to be a fair amount of people in the OSV routine already and OSV'ing does offer some of the best gear in the game to anyone who plays and has patience enough to collect the tokens.

I love the game too but to me it's the nerfs that are crushing it. Just this morning someone who I have teamed with many many times and whom I've never seen break the game in any way was heartfealtfully complaining about a nerf in Trade about one of their oldest (non 2gm) toons and before I could even say I felt sorry for them there were at least 1 or 2 other people telling them to suck it up and then after I did say something I got made fun of for sticking up for them. I don't want to be any these people. Ya know? And I have been all 3..

What is all this balance for, anyway....?

(I don't agree with the CoH thing but that's a whole other thing..)
Some Faves:

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 05:30:47 PM »
I dunno that TA puts an end to OSV'ing. There's a lot of people that can't/don't want to TA and there seems to be a fair amount of people in the OSV routine already and OSV'ing does offer some of the best gear in the game to anyone who plays and has patience enough to collect the tokens.

I love the game too but to me it's the nerfs that are crushing it. Just this morning someone who I have teamed with many many times and whom I've never seen break the game in any way was heartfealtfully complaining about a nerf in Trade about one of their oldest (non 2gm) toons and before I could even say I felt sorry for them there were at least 1 or 2 other people telling them to suck it up and then after I did say something I got made fun of for sticking up for them. I don't want to be any these people. Ya know? And I have been all 3..

What is all this balance for, anyway....?

(I don't agree with the CoH thing but that's a whole other thing..)
I've heard it only takes 11 days(no doubt no-life grinding) to get a piece of gear.
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 07:54:30 PM »
I've heard it only takes 11 days(no doubt no-life grinding) to get a piece of gear.

If it takes 1, 11, 111 it's about all the same to me. Although, If it only took 1 even I would go for it... ha. If Vig gear only cost 11k Q I'd go for It, too. I mean, why not.

We have different problems with the game but they both come from the same source. There wouldn't be all this balancing if it wasn't for what you are hoping for but never happens. Right?

~~~

Oh yeah...

CoX refined it's stuff.  CO never refines anything.  CO instead changes on a whim to try and pander to players with a narrow view of how games should be played, OR it tries to half-ass everything.  It's in a constant state of doing the minimum, instead of going for the gold medals.

The above is a fine example of why 'lol' was invented and how it can be induced.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:10:33 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 07:02:44 PM »
One last thing about OSV's. It's been gnawing at me since this topic started winding down and that is that there's noooo offense to people who enjoy OSV'ing. Some people obviously do. I can tell by Zone chat.. Just because I don't get it doesn't mean it sucks (duh)...lol. And for those that enjoy it, more power to ya. I think the idea is good, too. So do the people who enjoyed OSV'ing in the beginning probably too.

Buying top of the line gear in a game with real life cash is probably still harder for me to swallow. At least with OSV'ing you have to actually play the game. It's not soooo far removed from spawn point camping, for example. Spawn point camping doesn't generally require a lot of playing skill just a lot of patience and the ability to get/hold the spawn. Main difference is that the loot gained is generally a lot rarer than what OSV'ing provides due to with OSV'ing everyone has their own virtual come and go spawn point to camp vs. all the goodies coming from one spot that might not give up loot for days.

Some Faves: