Author Topic: TSW, STO, NWN  (Read 5619 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
TSW, STO, NWN
« on: February 18, 2016, 08:25:14 PM »
How does their FTP stack up to CO? CO's is pretty darn good.. Someone here said once that STO has very good ftp if I remember right.

I've got bandwidth to burn for the first time since forever, soooo, I surely must snag a new game client.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Re: TSW, STO, NWN
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 09:48:34 PM »
How does their FTP stack up to CO? CO's is pretty darn good.. Someone here said once that STO has very good ftp if I remember right.

I've got bandwidth to burn for the first time since forever, soooo, I surely must snag a new game client.
having played all three, I can insure you that co does not hold a candle to TWS and STO, no comment on NWN. TSW is buy to play, you pay once for the game and play forever for free. The only expansion you need to buy issue 8 and that is for Tokyo. TSW is based in the modern world. Like I previously stated co does not hold a candle to TSW. TSW gets more the very few updates, every update in TSW is meaningful.

When it comes to STO, the free to play is just like co. However, a major difference is STO has more content. STO is awesome when compared to co. 
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 03:30:26 PM »
I would download STO right now and be playing if it didn't share downtimes with CO (which is down atm).

I need to squeeze in that Windows 10 update before the offer finallllly expires, too, but, I'd rather do that after I do an ssd drive upgrade, or, find out I'm not..

TSW is out. Spending priorities. On that subject.. CO is freaking awesome for the ftp they have. I have nothing to compare it to except being subbed in every other online game I've played since the $500 a month (that was My average bill) original NWN, which, was the original graphical mmo. I only know this because I worked in a major software store for some years before this and jumped all over NWN the first day IBM's could log in due to it was an amazing event not to be passed up. Basically. Apple people got to log in first... By like a month. I forget who the original provider was. CompuServe? Noooo it was... was it.. America Online? *snicker* I dunno. Whoever it was, they didn't start out providing to IBM compatibles. NWN eventually went to Prodigy and a flat $15(ish) a month as I remember.. By then I think I moved on to EverQuest. I did stop gaming, once, briefly, back then, too, due to being sick of the sight of computers from work. *shrug*

Anyway..

I owe ya CO. Last time someone gave me stuff this valuable for free I dropped $1k a night at their place when things turned around. Keep yer fingers crossed. Me too...lol!

Server's down.. dangit I was set to play!  : )

Thanks Angel. I'll probably end up with STO. NWN is a lil tempting.

---

Due to they share downtimes with CO I'd probably rarely play either but may as well snag a client while I can.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:38:27 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 04:53:53 PM »
I would download STO right now and be playing if it didn't share downtimes with CO (which is down atm).

I need to squeeze in that Windows 10 update before the offer finallllly expires, too, but, I'd rather do that after I do an ssd drive upgrade, or, find out I'm not..

TSW is out. Spending priorities. On that subject.. CO is freaking awesome for the ftp they have. I have nothing to compare it to except being subbed in every other online game I've played since the $500 a month (that was My average bill) original NWN, which, was the original graphical mmo. I only know this because I worked in a major software store for some years before this and jumped all over NWN the first day IBM's could log in due to it was an amazing event not to be passed up. Basically. Apple people got to log in first... By like a month. I forget who the original provider was. CompuServe? Noooo it was... was it.. America Online? *snicker* I dunno. Whoever it was, they didn't start out providing to IBM compatibles. NWN eventually went to Prodigy and a flat $15(ish) a month as I remember.. By then I think I moved on to EverQuest. I did stop gaming, once, briefly, back then, too, due to being sick of the sight of computers from work. *shrug*

Anyway..

I owe ya CO. Last time someone gave me stuff this valuable for free I dropped $1k a night at their place when things turned around. Keep yer fingers crossed. Me too...lol!

Server's down.. dangit I was set to play!  : )

Thanks Angel. I'll probably end up with STO. NWN is a lil tempting.

---

Due to they share downtimes with CO I'd probably rarely play either but may as well snag a client while I can.
that's cool, STO when you solo you can bring 4bridge officers, they do make it seem not as lonely. :) For TSW I can send you a trail key to try it out for free. If I am not wrong you can play it for 5 days.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 11:25:16 PM »
I keep pondering when would be a good time for me to get into TSW.  I was impressed with it's visuals and the customization was pretty balanced compared to CO, inspite the lack of options I had.  The fact was the faces looked far better to me than CO's(which imo are pretty ugly).  Of course whether multiplayer or not is half irrelevent with me as i tend to solo anything and that causes me to also enjoy single player rpgs a lot.  But I also like that from what I hear people aren't quite as trinity reliant for things in TSW, but then I also read people complain of "hybrids" all the time like they did about CO in the good days.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 04:09:09 PM »
I'm still kinda curious about NWN too. But now that I think about it.. Nerfs. If NWN has nerfs so bad someone is actually hacking them in retaliation... hmmm... PASS... lol..

I mean, I just had a moment in CO where I logged in and here we go with the nerfs again. Very popular and widely used power X is radically changed, radically changing that players build most likely and he doesn't even get to vent in Trade about his loss due to there is this whole Nerf Police culture going on over there right now.

Vat am I talkink about? I vill tell you. Ven you report *kawhip!* a power that needs to be nerfed *kawhip* veeeee here at Nerf Nazis errrr CO vill review it *cold stare while smacking whip into leather gloved hand for emphasis* and ven veee feel your call for nerf is (roll your r) rrrrrrright veee villll NERF HARD! Sank yu so much for your COOPERATION! *ending kawhip*

After the moment in Trade faded and this whole Austin Powers/frau Farbissina scene played out in my head it occurred to me that I might just enjoy a change until zee above said culture passes and they finally figure out what they want to do with years old powers and years old devices. I owe CO a lot of fun but dangit it is mimicking RL a lil too much since awhile now and I already have a LTS to that. I mean, I just had something special to me wiped out in RL and replaced with a big turd and told it was an improvement... it felt just like that Trade conversation above and it's not the first time.

ha

Anyway, yeah. Luv ya CO but I'm starting to get into the try a new game thing. I honestly just wanted to burn the bandwidth originally but I was thinking earlier, when I saw that Trade conversation, how nice it would be to have a place to go if I have another build wiped out. I don't have the playtime to play 2 games and have decently good toons in both so learning another game hasn't been appealing but if I have to redo another build instead of spending the time just playing then it might be nice to have someplace new to spend the learning how to play the game time...

I'm not even putting out new builds anymore. I have 1 free retcon which I would normally use if things stayed the same for more than a month or so and I have the G's saved to retcon Reks completely but no plans to spend them. (Feel free to quadruple + retcon prices while I only have G's stashed away for current pricing, btw, CO, you won't even get the shock value out of me anymore.) Oh and I have level 1 FF's on 2 other accounts that I have no plans to level and am not saving for another FF.

Soooo TSW is out and NWN is out. My first (?) pc game was Star Trek: The Rebel Universe. I' was always a fan of the original series mainly due to there just wasn't anything like it for sci fi fans when I was a kid + it's good  : )
Some Faves:

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 06:29:38 PM »
I'm starting to get "balance" fatigue in CO, to be honest.

I'm reasonably sure that Rex will be okay once I get his retcon figured out, but I'm leery of leveling another toon knowing that at any time whatever powers I'm using could be totally changed.  I'm starting to think about playing some more console games again. Far Cry Primal is looking interesting to me and I'm looking forward to Doom.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 07:44:56 PM »
But I also like that from what I hear people aren't quite as trinity reliant for things in TSW...

Whoever told you that is blatantly lying. TSW absolutely relies on the trinity for most of its group content. It's when soloing that you can get away with mixing and matching abilities a bit more.

That said, the best time to buy TSW is when the ultimate edition goes on sale on steam, which it does pretty much every time steam has one of their big sales. With that you get the base game plus all the DLC content up to issue 11 - for reference, the latest release was issue 13 so you're not missing much more there.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 01:21:35 AM »
Guildwars was buy the game + an expansion and a half (?) if you wanted them and play forever. I gave them money like three times and was up to date the whole time I played. (It was a backup to whatever my current backup game was (it mostly sucked) (NCSoft sucks more) (I got their stuff at sale price, too)).

See now, when Kaos comments like he does then I knowwwww it's not just me. I have the same attitude you just put it more to the point and are gonna play different stuff if it comes to that.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:36:38 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 11:16:15 PM »
Whoever told you that is blatantly lying. TSW absolutely relies on the trinity for most of its group content. It's when soloing that you can get away with mixing and matching abilities a bit more.

That said, the best time to buy TSW is when the ultimate edition goes on sale on steam, which it does pretty much every time steam has one of their big sales. With that you get the base game plus all the DLC content up to issue 11 - for reference, the latest release was issue 13 so you're not missing much more there.

Ahhahh, ok.  Yeah, no reason for me to touch it then.  I had lots of bad experiences from holy trinity gameplay(like rude players playing a vital role ect).  So I'd rather stick to non mmorpgs until city of heroes/villains returns or city of titans comes around.

Been playing fallout 4 a lot and surprisingly, it does have a lot of replayability for the type of game it is. Granted, I hate helping Preston Garvey on low charisma characters.  The guy just won't shut up and delegate to other minutemen about the stupid raiders, like as if the generals job is really the privates job and his job is to be ordered around by incompetent villagers who have about ten missile turrets, six max capacity pipe assault rifle users, and ten automatic plasma gun users with full body armor...
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 02:13:25 PM »
I had lots of bad experiences from holy trinity gameplay(like rude players playing a vital role ect).

Healers..?

Must be, due to they are (or should be if the game is properly balanced!) by far the most important toons in any game.

lol

I laugh because I totally get the (bad) healer mentality due to I had it in spades myself some decades ago. If you were a good healer back in the you had to have a holy trinity days, you could get away with murder and still always have a team.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 03:40:03 PM »
I went STO. Sorta. It's freakin' huge...! Well, I got a good third or so of it downloaded anyway.. ha.

Bandwidth burned, mission accomplished.
Some Faves:

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 12:55:38 PM »
Healers..?

Must be, due to they are (or should be if the game is properly balanced!) by far the most important toons in any game.

lol

I laugh because I totally get the (bad) healer mentality due to I had it in spades myself some decades ago. If you were a good healer back in the you had to have a holy trinity days, you could get away with murder and still always have a team.
What irritates me is that in almost every MMO 90%+ of playing a support character is still nothing but healing. Hate hate hate games where the vast majority of support is some version of health bar whack-a-mole. (Did i mention that i'm not especially fond of healing being the only viable method of team support in most MMOs?) One of the reasons i still miss CoH.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 02:45:51 PM »
Playing a CoH support toon is great not only because there's a lot more to do than healing but there's also lot of different ways to be effective across the different powersets. I played a few support toons (Xev, Timefreeze, Mr. Plantastic, Mr. Green Genes... I forget who else..) and they were all fun in their own way and any of them could get the job done. I mean, I didn't feel gypped if I didn't pick a certain universally considered uber powerset because there wasn't one. I could just play whatever was most fun to me at the time and there was a wide variety of things to choose from to do.

"Paparazzi" is one of the most memorable Liberty CoH Support toons to me due to his style and he happened to be good too. He had this newspaperman like outfit and whatever that powerset is that uses flashes of light so he could RP he was using a camera while doing CC hehe..
Some Faves:

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 02:34:25 AM »
What irritates me is that in almost every MMO 90%+ of playing a support character is still nothing but healing. Hate hate hate games where the vast majority of support is some version of health bar whack-a-mole. (Did i mention that i'm not especially fond of healing being the only viable method of team support in most MMOs?) One of the reasons i still miss CoH.

That's why there's no support class I've wanted to play since leaving COX.   

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 04:59:01 PM »

Long post, bear with me.  If you want, skip to my second section under bold.  "Trinity gameplay problems in a nutshell, and mmorpgs in a nutshell.  Why they are 'grinds'."

One of the main reasons I say MMORPGs suck :).  If I compared an MMORPG to other RPGs, even combat heavy ones, I notice a sharp difference in the importance of healing vs mitigating damage.  Lets look at say, Fallout 4 for example.

Stimpacks in ALL difficulties heal over time.  Survival mode as currently stands the healing rate is slowed drastically.  This means anytime you face high damage, you need to do something about it;
You can hide behind corners(in fact, there is a hidden 'cover' mechanic, in which if your facing a wall with a corner next to it, aiming at it will lean you around the corner as you aim, exposing only part of your character).
You can use chems to buff your defenses(like MedX/Psycho).
You can use chems to boost your damage and ability to react to incoming fire(like Jet/Ultra Jet).
You have VATS(VATS in F4 works more as it did in Fallout 3, but it's more slow-mo, just make sure you make a decision quickly).
Stealth, nuff said.

Good use of all five make a gigantic difference in how much damage you take from enemies.  It's critical to mix them up whenever you have the difficulty up.

But mmorpgs make it so healing is a be-all-end-all instead.

They tend to be to scared of anything with significant impact on a fight as to render anything else useless.  Because they want healing to be useful, they tone it back on everything else.  Which is in reality a deadly mistake.  Real RPGs focus on reducing damage.  MMORPG's focus instead on healing.  But it's also due to another problem, a mindset that in order to encourage teamplay, you have to make people entirely dependant on others.

Which isn't really a good way to encourage team play.  It isn't like say, a first person shooter coopertive where one guy could distract a more tankier enemy so the other guy can shoot the tank in the more fragile back side(like halo), or pile on more shots on a spider masterminds softer brain pan like brutal doom(spider masterminds only take 7/8ths damage from leg shots).  Or the timed switch in which someone has to hit a button, maybe it just makes sense for a few people to be in place to hit the buttons correctly?  But you don't need to have such a narrow strategy of the trinity to pull those off.

In fact it could just be simple positioning that is all thats needed to maximize team effectiveness.  In FPS coops thats done in a sense one player covers the other players back.  Thats all it takes.  But mmorpgs never really get that.  They try to be over elaborate, but in reality end up over simplified and end up discouraging any variety of strategy.

There is a good reason I always draw the analogy with roman legionaries vs greek phalanxes.

Those who want to skip this should go down to 'history analogy finished'

Greek Phalanxes couldn't move any other direction but one direction with any amount of speed.  They had to slow themselves severely to make slight turns, but to really turn they had to lift the spears up, re-position, then lay them back down.  This severe lack of speed made it incredibly easy for cavalry and even infantry to out-flank them in open ground, so they depended on archers and cavalry, entirely, to cover those flanks.  This proved the be the downfall of the greek phalanxes when the romans tried to use it against the gauls.  The gauls simply chose to surround the romans, and since they very likely had cavalry and it was likely better, the romans got crushed.  The other issue was the phalanx required flat terrain to work.  It required plans to go perfectly.

A greek phalanx that was hit in the sides would break and crumble within record time.  Especially because men in the formation were ill equiped to fight flankers, had no room to maneuver to defend themselves, and were often "free kills" for more experienced swordsmen and cavalry.

The greek phalanx also took up to 3-4 HOURS to assemble fully due to how perfectly everyone needed to be positioned for it to work.

The inflexibilities should sound familiar, because holy trinity teams suffer very similar inflexibility.  They need the tanks to take all of the punishment, or they all die.  If one thing goes wrong, every one dies.  This lack of flexibility and dependency on a plan that cannot change is a cornerstone weakness and it's also bad for game play for multiple reasons.  And the holy trinity team has to have every person perfectly spec'd for the team.  AND they often wait for in game times, 30 minutes or even up to an hour.  Which kills gameplay for anyone who would also like to do other things with their time.

Right off the bat, the roman legions mobility becomes apparent: every man not only had room to move that a greek soldier could only dream of, but the entire formation could move and pivot itself.  The legion could adopt multiple formations and thus a far wider variety of tactics.  It did not depend on hammer and anvil strikes.  It did not depend on archers or cavalry to protect it's flanks.  It could do it all, in a way.  While you could argue it's frontal hitting power was "less" than the phalanxe, thats wrong to, it had a lot of hitting power.  It mixed in the pila as a means to severely damage frontal attackers, a legion would throw a storm of the heavy javalins and cripple shield using foes and cut up the ranks severely.  The fact that the formation could pivot also meant it could flank and wrap around an opposing phalanx the same way the gauls could.  Combined with the fact that they could help chase of cavalry by pivoting.

They also had another advantage, men in reserve, for fighting.  Men could be kept behind lines that a phalanx, due to it's lack of mobility, couldn't.  A phalanx behind another could only reinforce a phalanx in front.  A cohort could run in any direction it needed to, and thus could march up to attack a flank, or chase off flankers ect.  This proved to be a key advantage.

Last and not least, a roman legion could have itself ready to fight in thirty minutes or less.  One sixth the time it took for a greek phalanx.

Which, brings me back to mmorpgs, and why CoH and many non mmorpgs handle team play better.  A well buffed team in city of heroes was defended all around, and wasn't vulnerable from "adds"(such a stupid term) or more properly, reinforcements.  If enemy reinforcements arrive and hit a trinity team, it tends to break very fast from attackers hitting people who are completely unprotected on the sides/back, just like a greek phalanx.  Because they were dependent on an "additive" force, healing, any increase of enemy numbers were a severe concern for the team plan.  I exclude the terms "tactics" and "strategy" with the trinity because, it cannot really benefit from either.  It's all about the plan going perfectly, and it can never change.

Of course, that tendency for one plan only tends to increase repetitiveness combined with all the other problems.

Trinity gameplay problems in a nutshell, and mmorpgs in a nutshell.  Why they are "grinds".

So with my analogy mostly out of the way, I'll just summarize the issues trinity gameplay has:

1: Inflexibility.  Every further problem stems from this.
2: Set up time: It takes 30 minutes or even an hour at times to fully set up.
3: Inability to follow a variety of strategies.  It has to follow a set plan, as often games make it so only one plan works.  If anything goes wrong such as unexpected reinforcements or "adds"(hate that term!) happens.  This leads to....
4: Repetitiveness.  It's the same thing over, and over, and over, and over again.  The trinity also due to this and inflexibility also leads to....
5: Cog based team play.  People do not invite people because they are friends, but because of their rolls.  This combined with repetitiveness leads to...
6: Bad team environments.  Everything I hated about Guild wars 1 boiled down to this.  Leads to the next big problems....
7: Something going wrong?  Find someone to blame.  The plan had been made perfect, after all, or the attempt wouldn't have even been made.  Since it isn't working, someone is failing.  Maybe the healers disconnected, maybe the tanks disconnected, maybe the damage dealers aren't using the right skill/power/spell chains.
8: Players wanting to join their friends but cannot join because their rolls are redundant and the "slot is already filled".
9: Players who are hostile towards others but you invite them anyways because they are your only option for that roll(a big one).
10: Coming late, but #2 also greatly increases iteration times for attempts at team content.  This creates an unfun situation...
11: If it's hard, it's hard for punishing reasons.  Punishing gameplay generally means time is completely wasted and the player cannot try again until they succeed, but instead is blocked by numerous factors keeping them from further attempts.  Combined with the dependency on other players to the degree it does, this further also removes....
12: Skill as a factor in difficulty.  This makes the game feel like it's presenting a big barrier in between you and fun.  It creates a sense of 'this games hard for the sake of it and it sucks for it'.  It creates a sense of unfairness and that 'luck' is the be all end all.
13: This combination of potential for very negative experiences, sheer amounts of time with little gain creates the dreaded "Grind" term.

When you combine everything together, you realize it's not a fun game genre.  It's difficult in ways that are not fun, but just frustrating such that it does not feel like a game, but just another bad job.

The above are why I didn't like playing DCUO, or CO, or guild wars 1 in teams.  And it all boils down to the levels of inflexibility the what should be called "Unholy" trinity.  The only people who benefit from it are those who just wish to sit back, click health bars and heal all day.  Everyone who wants a real game thats fun and entertaining are left out of the genre, or trapped in a "Skinner box".  The only thing MMORPGs survive on, is addiction-based psychological tactics.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 05:12:27 PM »
Dang LA we've got to get you a game.

For the love of everything good and holy, save CoH!
Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 06:06:03 PM »
Dang LA we've got to get you a game.

For the love of everything good and holy, save CoH!

I know right?  LOL, I had just woke up to a call wanting me to do an interview, found out everyone but me is sick in the house hold, so I ended up writing an ultra long post for the first time in a very long time.

Funny.

I keep pondering when I should make "Nuclear Ghandi!" in fallout 4.  Because I already know the overall strategy for it, I just need to get around to it.