Author Topic: The Expanse  (Read 1490 times)

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
The Expanse
« on: February 04, 2016, 03:15:43 AM »
This is my third start-over trying to write this. So much to say. So scatter-brained after just finishing watching the 9th and 10th episodes of season 1....

bottom line: I LOVE IT. If I hadn't seen it I would thank anyone who had turned me on to it.

PRO:
1. As one who appreciates hard sci-fi. I like the realism of the actual difficulty of space travel. I appreciate seeing a point in technology where we've only solved SOME of the problems of space travel, and it's still a struggle with sacrifices and compromises, which it sure as hell will be for a while. Examples include:
- space ships that have to turn around and fire engines in order to arrive at a target
- magnetic boots instead of some (lazy!) unexplained artificial gravity
- rationing of water
- hiding cameras and data stores in the human body
- cops being a small step behind the high-end crooks technologically (kind of a universal fact, whether you like it or not), but willing to work harder and rely more on instinct and experience
2. Great special effects. There are space ships, space stations, futuristic cities and settlements on Earth, Mars, Ceres and Eros, and they look like they are cool but required a huge effort and a lot of time to get to where they are. Zero-G where it makes sense.
3. Great writing. Characters duke it out with conflicting interests, competing agendas, and clever strategies, insights and realizations. There are some borderline one-dimensional characters in the mix, but they falter and waiver at times. The more complex characters are compelling, driven, flawed, and yet striving to their own ideals. The plot progression is steady and twisty, and it is genuinely hard to tell where thing might end up next.
4. Great acting. The 1 or 2 folks playing the one-dimensional types are well cast, and those playing the more complex types get a chance to demonstrate a broad range.
CONS:
I'd prefer a little less politics, back-stabbing and random deaths. But none of that seemed artificial given the situation -- so not a very big negative.

Overall, for me this is the best SciFi show since Battlestar Galactica. I only hope it has a long run, and doesn't get shivved before its time like so many other shows on SyFy.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: The Expanse
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 03:31:09 AM »
Is there sound in space?  >:(
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 03:51:47 AM »
Is there sound in space?  >:(

Well, yeah... every sci-fi show has sound effects to accompany a ship's rockets. That one is so universally wrong I don't even notice it any more.

It's probably one of those thing people will look back at our 2010s shows and laugh about.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 05:10:10 AM »
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 03:21:56 PM »
Agree with every word you wrote.  GREAT show!  Definitely the succsessor to Battlestar Galactica.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 12:25:45 PM »
It's a very good show. I like the mix of political intrigue with noir elements. Glad to see it's already picked up for season 2.