Author Topic: Question  (Read 4815 times)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Question
« on: December 14, 2015, 09:54:41 PM »
I have a question and it could be also a legal question.
I am thinking about making a City of. board game. I have no intention of selling it. It is pretty much just for myself, even though I will share what I have. My question is can I make a City of. board game just for myself? And would it be legal to do so?
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 03:05:33 AM »
You can do pretty much anything for personal use. It's when you start distributing or selling it that things get hairy.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 03:15:25 AM »
You can do pretty much anything for personal use. It's when you start distributing or selling it that things get hairy.
Thank you for your answer :).  I wanted to be sure not to step on any toes.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 04:07:29 AM »
Note: Aggy isn't a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that she's right.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 04:36:17 AM »
Note: Aggy isn't a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that she's right.
thank you :)

The progress, I have so far is I made Outbreak, so far the mission chain is the same as in game.
The contaminated I gave hit points of 10 with a defense of 1 and a roll of a d6.
When the heroes get to this part they roll a d6 and lets say they roll a 6 they would then take 1 away from the 6 and the damage to the contamination would be 5.
Afterward the contamination would roll the d6, but this is the difficult part is what should the hero or heroes defense should be? I was kinda thinking 3 but I think that would be over powered.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 07:08:58 AM »
Blasters zero, cos they're PAPER cannons. Maybe they get to ignore the enemy's 1 defense to off-set that (they are paper CANNONS). Tanks 3, cos...they're tanks. Everyone else 2 (to represent their various ways of survival, e.g. Defenders either healing or buffing themselves or debuffing enemies).
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 06:22:53 PM »
Blasters zero, cos they're PAPER cannons. Maybe they get to ignore the enemy's 1 defense to off-set that (they are paper CANNONS). Tanks 3, cos...they're tanks. Everyone else 2 (to represent their various ways of survival, e.g. Defenders either healing or buffing themselves or debuffing enemies).
those are great ideas, thank you :) I thought of one size fits all, I did not think of the ats as separate. Now that you mentioned it, it does make since that blasters have zero and tanks have 3. :)
I will change the stats to reflect these :)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 07:43:37 PM »
Though if you really want to be true to the game, blasters would defend at 3, scrappers at 5, and tankers would simply be unhittable (really should be like 5.7 if you had fractional dice). But you'd also be surrounded by a half dozen or more enemies making rolls simultaneously.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 09:04:44 PM »
Though if you really want to be true to the game, blasters would defend at 3, scrappers at 5, and tankers would simply be unhittable (really should be like 5.7 if you had fractional dice). But you'd also be surrounded by a half dozen or more enemies making rolls simultaneously.
that is a great idea, that does make setting the stats a bit easier. I also agree that scrappers should be higher such as 2 and a half for defense. Tanks though should have a higher defense. :) thank you btw :)

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 11:10:58 PM »
If you want it even more accurate to CoH, recall that Defense and Damage Resistance were two very different stats, where defense determines how hard it is to actually hit the target, and resistance is factored in if a hit occurs.

Depending on whether or not you're including different power sets, I'd say Scrappers could potentially have a higher defense than Tanks, while Tanks have a higher damage resistance, as just one example.

As a consequence of this, you would need to do toHit rolls in addition to actual damage rolls, not too disimilar to most pen and paper games I imagine, but of course different ATs would have different accuracy bonuses to offset this, such as Blasters having the highest accuracy for example.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 12:04:03 AM »
Depending on whether or not you're including different power sets, I'd say Scrappers could potentially have a higher defense than Tanks, while Tanks have a higher damage resistance, as just one example.
Nope. Tankers will always have higher numbers. They have better modifiers for both resistance and defense (0.1 for tankers and 0.075 for scrappers), and higher caps for both resistance (90% vs 75%) and defense (225% vs 200%).

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 12:08:50 AM »
If you want it even more accurate to CoH, recall that Defense and Damage Resistance were two very different stats, where defense determines how hard it is to actually hit the target, and resistance is factored in if a hit occurs.

As a consequence of this, you would need to do toHit rolls in addition to actual damage rolls, not too disimilar to most pen and paper games I imagine, but of course different ATs would have different accuracy bonuses to offset this, such as Blasters having the highest accuracy for example.
This good as well, the reason I choose Defense only was to keep it a bit more simple. But I do agree with the hit checks, I can see the reason for doing this, this way as well :) I also agree with the accuracy needs to be different from each AT, but also do not want to be over powered due to enhancements and acc yellows. :)
Also so far I think I am done with Outbreak, I chose this as the training fields due to seeing it was the easiest zone to transition. I can share what I have as a zone as well as the Contaminated. :) The map however is pretty much a screen capture off of the wiki.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 02:13:24 AM »
Nope. Tankers will always have higher numbers. They have better modifiers for both resistance and defense (0.1 for tankers and 0.075 for scrappers), and higher caps for both resistance (90% vs 75%) and defense (225% vs 200%).

Honestly, I never got that specific with the numbers for each archetype, but I was leaning towards the Scrapper-Defense and Tanker-Resistance leaning idea based on my experiences with them, and partly how I would have balanced them were it me. Yeah, I suppose a tank would technically be able to have higher defense than the Scrapper, but at the same time you don't want any AT, even Tanks, to be too hard to kill/defeat either, otherwise it can potentially spoil some of the fun by removing too much of the danger.

Regardless, it was just an idea.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 02:30:28 AM »
Honestly, I never got that specific with the numbers for each archetype, but I was leaning towards the Scrapper-Defense and Tanker-Resistance leaning idea based on my experiences with them, and partly how I would have balanced them were it me. Yeah, I suppose a tank would technically be able to have higher defense than the Scrapper, but at the same time you don't want any AT, even Tanks, to be too hard to kill/defeat either, otherwise it can potentially spoil some of the fun by removing too much of the danger.

Regardless, it was just an idea.
Shenku, I want to thank you for your ideas :) in fact everyones ideas is heling to shape the board game. And I hope more will be able to offer ideas as well. After it is near a place I can send it to a on demand company, I will be more then happy to email what I have for anyone who wants to play :) Right now it is a bit rough :(

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 01:58:39 AM »
This, as with art and everything else, is always rough in the early stages, so don't let that worry you. It only means it can be made to be more polished as you continue to work on it. Everything starts somewhere. :)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 02:18:08 AM »
very true :) A bit of an update, I have started with Atlas :), I have gone with the original contacts :), So far I have completed Antone Nash :).