Author Topic: Management game without enemies?  (Read 2013 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Management game without enemies?
« on: December 03, 2015, 05:06:06 PM »
Reading the Lords of the Realm 2 thread reminded me of a question that had occurred to me when I had tried it and Outpost 2. Being a science-fiction and space-exploration fan, I enjoyed Outpost 2, but just the effort to build the colony and keep it going; I wished that I hadn't had the opponents to fight. (If shutting them off had been possible, I was unaware of it.) I know that it's a long shot, but is there a game like that - sort of a Sim City in Space - where I can be a space-colony administrator without the second job of war chief?
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Re: Management game without enemies?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 04:01:58 AM »
Well, it depends a bit on what specifically you're looking for in a "management game", but I want to say there's gotta be at least a few varieties of Sim City/knockoffs that are semi-futuristic, or you can mess around with things like Fallout Shelter (Basically the Fallout series' version of Sim Tower...)... Granted I don't think those are quite what you're looking for, but beyond that I'm not aware of anything else that fits that kind of description.

I could theoretically "make" that kind of game for you though, assuming you're willing to wait about a year or more for it, and/or help me fund it... :P Yeah, didn't think so. :roll:

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 01:16:41 PM »
Alpha Centauri is basically old school Civilization in space. You can set up the game so that the enemies are essentially not an issue, or I believe there is a way/mods that basically turn it in to a faction management game. The one problem is that the game has a issues when running past a certain point regardless of your computer and eventually will likely crash. It takes a lot of turns and units on the map to get to that point, though.

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
    • Shuttercount - A Photography site...
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 07:44:09 PM »
If you're a space exploration and science fiction fan, then I heartily recommend Kerbal Space Program. Career mode (as opposed to sandbox) will allow you to make a start on your own space program - earning money, collecting science, building rockets, space stations and if you get good - other planet bases. It takes a proper degree of trial and error to get to the bit where you explore though. I've managed a few of the closer planets and left some Kerbals stranded on some of the further away ones. (Not enough fuel to get home...)

All you fight is gravity and fuel loss. You also get to learn a bit about orbital mechanics without knowing it!

For further info - anything by Scott Manley is awesome. Especially when things get more complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d74m3qThOoU