Author Topic: City of Heroes 3 Year Memorial  (Read 45318 times)

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
Re: City of Heroes 3 Year Memorial
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 05:27:18 PM »
;holdtorch

Thanks to everyone for keeping the faith.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 08:53:15 PM »
/em holdtorch   

So grateful for first Icon and then Paragon Chat, as well as all the 'successor' games in the works, and for all the hard work everyone is putting into each of these.  What a fantastic community CoH has.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
Hey all. Haven't post in a while, but have been checking the forums a lot whenever I get the chance.

I still miss this game, and I'm still holding out hope that I might see it again. I regret that I kind of took it for granted when I played it back in the day.

/em holdtorch
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

AjD

• Underling
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 10:22:06 PM »
/em holdtorch

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 12:14:04 AM »
I want to /em torch and go to NC Soft telling them sooner is better!
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!
#4 I seem to have an itch!

Corlagon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 01:01:08 AM »
/em holdtorch

Until we can go and hunt again.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 01:07:21 AM »
Go. Hunt. Hold Torches.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »
/em holdtorch

Here's for another year with no problems in the negotiations!

Eh?  "Negotiations" better not take another year...  Ha!

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 03:51:04 PM »
/em torch

When the game comes back.....maybe we should all make fire related toons named Torchbearer. Then if that's taken Torchbearer1 ect ect. Until we all have an alt with the name. :)

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 04:16:03 PM »
/em holdtorch

I was assuming the game would come back before I finished my bachelors degree, and I'd choose playing over school-work, and end up never getting the degree. I just signed up for the final 4 credits from a class that runs January to March 2016. I guess I can set aside my fears of the game coming back and distracting me.

Since my employer reimburses, I'll probably keep going. I plan to start on a Masters program in the summer, as soon as I find a school that lets me take 9 to 12 credits per year, one course per semester, and stays close to the reimbursement limits ($5000/year). I want to continue with Computer Science (since that's my field and that's what they'll agree to reimburse). I haven't done much shopping yet. Any suggestions?!?!?

I sincerely hope I am not able to finish a Masters degree before we get the game back!

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 06:40:22 PM »
/em holdtorch

I was assuming the game would come back before I finished my bachelors degree, and I'd choose playing over school-work, and end up never getting the degree. I just signed up for the final 4 credits from a class that runs January to March 2016. I guess I can set aside my fears of the game coming back and distracting me.

Since my employer reimburses, I'll probably keep going. I plan to start on a Masters program in the summer, as soon as I find a school that lets me take 9 to 12 credits per year, one course per semester, and stays close to the reimbursement limits ($5000/year). I want to continue with Computer Science (since that's my field and that's what they'll agree to reimburse). I haven't done much shopping yet. Any suggestions?!?!?

I sincerely hope I am not able to finish a Masters degree before we get the game back!
are you talking about on ground classes or online? My college, Baker College does do a minimum of 4 credits a semester. With this this is for part-time students. Atm I am in the Bachelors in Information and Securities.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2015, 08:00:34 PM »
/em Holdtorch

All I want is to play COH again before I die. Three years on, three years closer.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2015, 08:10:24 PM »
/em Holdtorch

All I want is to play COH again before I die. Three years on, three years closer.

Since every male in my father's line (except my father) has died at 51 (from a weirdly assorted variety of means, from cancer to heart problems to wrecks, etc) that gives me 4 years to go...

:(

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2015, 08:21:09 PM »
/em holdtorch

the University of Edinburgh has a fully funded Computer Science program at Phd level currently looking for students. I'm thinking of doing that myself, just finished my Masters of Science by research. (P.S. you may not need a masters level degree to get enrolled)

Scotland has some seriously good education policies, for citizens of Scotland higher education is free. period. that's how it should be everywhere now especially in america. I could rant for pages here about how america's freedom of education act was signed into law at a time when college education was not necessary to land a job career, and how now it very much is necessary unless you are extremely lucky or want to bust your hump making your own unique product/business, and you have to hope that isn't a flop.  >:(

Spoiler for Hidden:
but America is too broken to fix I think, prove me wrong but it may be 100 years before any seriously necessary stuff is done. Everything they do now days is just trying keeping up with the world around them, find quick schemes ways to increase the international value of a service based economy whose market was on it's way out along time ago and rather than change they feel they need to desperately keep it afloat (like wasting lots of land, spells and instants in MTG to keep a 1/1 no-effect creature in play rather than trying to actually summon something more powerful), and adding some feel-good civil rights changes that we either can't sustain/afford or are causing division and conflict, that and the amount of time and money they spend pumping the media full of fascist ideological propaganda to promote division and conflict, it just looks like the US is choosing not to face it's problems and expecting everyone else to ignore that fact because of their superpower status and lordship over the UN and Nato. It's like if statesman hit the old boozer /Hard/ and just kept waving to the people of paragon like he was actually doing something of value.

yeah, I got my degree, I broke out of the system clean, I got no loans on me! I had just enough for the Masters, I skipped bachelor because of the repressive cost and repressive amount of time they expect me to spend doing it when I could just be working on a project.

Spoiler for Hidden:
A bachelor is all about proving to some bureaucracy that you know enough about their systems to infiltrate that particular job field so that you can get the piece of paper which tells employers you're not an untouchable peasant. Well, the only person I have to prove myself to is myself, the time has come and gone for working for other people, we've all seen how that goes, it's the equivalent of being paid a nominal wage to make the app that will replace you (they don't need you, they never needed you, you having the job is just a grace given to you for whatever period your lords decide), while all the big money enters at the top of the extra large capitalist chain. All those many many workers in those large overbloated all-present multinational corporations drilling the world for each last cent they can scrape at product/service rates well above the national economic surplus then the money goes to the top 1% of the company. Because the top can be counted on by the government to riskily invest that money against other currencies to attempt mass financial gains that they think will dig them out of this pit they've sunk into. Yes the top is that good boy whose always handy when you need mass amounts of cash for a government project or campaigns and don't want to have to raise taxes or take-in money the slow way through public donations to their cause, because they know when it comes to the public; we really just aren't interested in their projects enough to want to fund it..

On another note, I too was afraid CoH would come back amid studies and I'd be rabidly farming and streetsweping my way to several 50s and getting IOed when I needed to focus on other more important matters. Procrastination is my bane after all, and I apologize to people I'm doing things for because of it, though lately things have been hectic and procrastination time has been scarce.

Since every male in my father's line (except my father) has died at 51 (from a weirdly assorted variety of means, from cancer to heart problems to wrecks, etc) that gives me 4 years to go...

:(
we need a project called "protect Hurple from mother nature at least until Hurple can enjoy CoH properly again." no, I'm serious. just gotta figure out how to achieve it through anonymity.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2015, 08:35:32 PM »
/em holdtorch
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2015, 09:01:36 PM »
/em holdtorch

Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2015, 12:38:29 AM »
are you talking about on ground classes or online? My college, Baker College does do a minimum of 4 credits a semester. With this this is for part-time students. Atm I am in the Bachelors in Information and Securities.

I work from home, and the last 2 years of my college has been online, so I'm planning to continue online. I sent out some inquiries earlier today, and got some immediate calls back. Southern New Hampshire University looks like a perfect fit. They have a hard-core "Computer Science" Masters (exactly how I roll) which can be done 100% online at around $1800 per course. They don't have a rigid pace (you can take up to 8 years to complete the program). At my tuition reimbursement cap that means I can pace myself to take about 3 courses per year, be done in about 3 years, and have my employer pay for 90% of it. There are cheaper schools, but not by much, and none of the cheaper schools are flexible about taking time away.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2015, 05:12:37 AM »
/e holdtorch

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2015, 03:12:52 PM »
we need a project called "protect Hurple from mother nature at least until Hurple can enjoy CoH properly again." no, I'm serious. just gotta figure out how to achieve it through anonymity.

Yeah, my 52nd birthday,if I make it, will be a big big deal.  My dad's was.  He hired Leon Russell and band to play the party.  So, that Rolling Stone interview with Elton John / Leon Russell where EJ said it was sad that LR's career had fallen to the level that he was playing birthday parties... Yeah, I'd like to think he was talking about my dad's.   :D

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2015, 08:58:44 PM »
Yeah, my 52nd birthday,if I make it, will be a big big deal.  My dad's was.  He hired Leon Russell and band to play the party.  So, that Rolling Stone interview with Elton John / Leon Russell where EJ said it was sad that LR's career had fallen to the level that he was playing birthday parties... Yeah, I'd like to think he was talking about my dad's.   :D

well lets see, there's a long list of things doctors would suggest, chances are you're probably already doing them though.. basically you remember all those things you heard people say are bad for you and you shouldn't do? yeah well you should try to not do them. and remember all those things they said were good for you? well... er.. actually no that wont work.. for obvious reasons "a beer a day keeps the doctor away" for example of false presumptions. then there's societal things like always looking both ways before crossing roads and being extra careful and not taking too many trips or exposing yourself to dangerous situations frequently or sporadically or on a whim, aka try to cut out any spontaneous exposures to anything public (lets face it, 'out there' once you leave your front door, it's dangerous bo.. people be craaazy. and stupid. and generally too preocupied to pay attention to you or other things like 'the road' while they are driving.) Don't let them take you with them in their stupidity! only go out when you have to, stay alert and plan /Everything/ that you can.

this is the rules of self-protecting internet geeks like myself, not sure if it's helpful at all, but one thing that might be is stay calm, try not to let things get you riled up, it'll just raise your blood pressure and cause stress, also mind your salt and oil intake and mind your blood thickness with periodic antioxidants, just giving the same advice I follow lol.

yeah I've lived almost my entire life behind a screen of some sort, TV, handheld or computer or at least a good thick window. maybe I'm too paranoid, you don't have to follow any suggestions I give for reasons others will tell you about lol.

the other option is to go out with a bang, aka live the high-life till you break, but that's risky for multiple reasons, 1 it might end your life sooner rather than later, 2 what if you actually survive and blew all your finances? or the worst, survive and be called incompetent at taking care of yourself and end up in a retirement home with hoses up your nose getting you high off oxygen and hooked on pills to keep you from doing anything "fun".

I used to have a friend who lived next to an old folks home it was a tower surrounded by a huge lawn on all sides, every time we went by there was always an elderly person with a walker slowly moving on the sidewalk, we always joked that they were trying to escape... might not have been far from the truth now that I think about it.

seriously though it wont be 4 years from now. We'll hear something before then, the THeM would never keep us waiting that long. 6 years is long enough to be considered "strung along" and it would be determined that NCSoft was intentionally stringing it along and had no real intention to sell from the beginning. Anything over 4 an a half years total for the kind of negotiations we are waiting on would be an obvious ill intent from NCSoft in the deal.

Considering we are not even 3 years into the current negotiations, there's still plenty of time. Heck are we even 2 years in? (not counting time during the Nexon battle, that's lost time in my book, though work on CoT did continue, and as that might be one of the conditions in the deal; maybe I'm right/wrong and it wasn't lost time.) yes, right/wrong, when you're right in one theory and wrong in another but both coincide tot he same predicament.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.