Author Topic: Lost in Space reboot coming to Netflix  (Read 4878 times)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Lost in Space reboot coming to Netflix
« on: November 24, 2015, 04:46:24 AM »
Probably old news but I just read about this.

I'm torn because I loved the show as a kid and can't see a reboot really working - but the Galactica reboot was well handled and very good so..........

I did like the 1998 film for what it was.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Lost in Space reboot coming to Netflix
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 07:17:41 AM »
They did try a grittier TV pilot back in early 2000s called The Robinsons: Lost in Space.  That reimaging was horrid.  Maybe this time they'll do better.  Well being on a paid channel helps it I think.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 10:17:46 AM »
They did try a grittier TV pilot back in early 2000s called The Robinsons: Lost in Space.  That reimaging was horrid.  Maybe this time they'll do better.  Well being on a paid channel helps it I think.

Really? I never heard of this at all.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 02:08:59 PM »
I never got into the original, but hopefully it's *not* as awful as SyFy's sexbot remake of Galactica.  So far Netflix Originals have been more consistently enjoyable than SyFy's, though, so I'd likely give a Lost in Space series by them a chance.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 03:24:24 PM »
I never got into the original, but hopefully it's *not* as awful as SyFy's sexbot remake of Galactica.  So far Netflix Originals have been more consistently enjoyable than SyFy's, though, so I'd likely give a Lost in Space series by them a chance.

As long as they land on a planet of intelligent vegatables, I'll be happy.  Ha Ha Ha!

Seriously, I thought the news was they bought the rights to stream the original show, I didn't realize there was a new one coming.  Sorry, but without that robot and Jonathan Harris it's DOA.  It would be like Gilligan's Island without Bob Denver.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 06:23:36 PM »
As long as they land on a planet of intelligent vegatables, I'll be happy.  Ha Ha Ha!

Seriously, I thought the news was they bought the rights to stream the original show, I didn't realize there was a new one coming.  Sorry, but without that robot and Jonathan Harris it's DOA.  It would be like Gilligan's Island without Bob Denver.

You do know the original pilot and story line had no Smith or Robot. They were added after the series got the go ahead.
That's why the first 4 or 5 episodes of the first season have the family traveling in the Chariot, and Smith and the Robot stayed on the ship.
That was footage from the pilot drawn out into about 4 episodes, intercut with new footage of Smith and the Robot.

Then when they did the cartoon - I think only Smith and the Robot where there from the original show.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 08:53:45 PM »
You do know the original pilot and story line had no Smith or Robot. They were added after the series got the go ahead.

Yes, I know.  But they became the show.  I believe, completely, it would've been a one-season show without them.

That's why the first 4 or 5 episodes of the first season have the family traveling in the Chariot, and Smith and the Robot stayed on the ship.
That was footage from the pilot drawn out into about 4 episodes, intercut with new footage of Smith and the Robot.

Then when they did the cartoon - I think only Smith and the Robot where there from the original show.

Oh, god... I forgot about the cartoon.  Or, blocked it, more likely. 

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 03:20:17 PM »
Really? I never heard of this at all.

Too much DRAMA!  But it was a CW pilot at the time.  Here's the pilot in 5 parts.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB5650A43C64FE863

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 03:43:33 PM »
Too much DRAMA!  But it was a CW pilot at the time.  Here's the pilot in 5 parts.

Another thing I had successfully blocked from my memory.

Thanks for ruining my life guys! 

BTW, I know a guy who built a replica of the LiS Robot from a copy of the original blueprints.  It is AWESOME!

We're trying to get through the BLu-Rays of the original series now, but having to juggle them with the Blu's of the original Star Trek, Mission Impossible and Batman, and The Monkees complete set will be coming out in January, so it'll have to be added to the rotation, too.

And, I keep threatening to start digging through the Doctor Who DVDs and watch them in order from An Unearthly Child until we get caught up with Capaldi (and use the BBC Audios for the missing stories) but that seems an impossible dream right now... Ha Ha! (Why, yes, I have collected every single DVD release for the original Doctor Who, and every BBC Audio release, and kept up with Big Finish until release 100 then decided I'd rather feed my family than continue subscribing.  I also have every Doctor Who magazine until the relaunch, I quit keeping up with them, then, because they retooled as more kid-friendly)

Can you believe all those shows were contemporaries?  The Monkees, Batman, Lost In Space, Star Trek, Laugh In, Mission Impossible... was there ever a more fruitful, influential period in TV history as those 5 years 1965-1970?

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 04:08:30 PM »
Yes, I know.  But they became the show.  I believe, completely, it would've been a one-season show without them.

Oh, god... I forgot about the cartoon.  Or, blocked it, more likely.

Well you will be happy to know that it will be in the new Lost in Space Blu Ray set.

I do have on old bootleg VHS of the cartoon - I need to watch that again. And the Star Wars Holiday Special - then I can shoot myself.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 08:51:55 PM »
Well you will be happy to know that it will be in the new Lost in Space Blu Ray set.

I do have on old bootleg VHS of the cartoon - I need to watch that again. And the Star Wars Holiday Special - then I can shoot myself.

You will believe a Wookie can sing.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 09:38:29 PM »
You will believe a Wookie can sing.

The two things I remember most from that time are the holiday special and the SNL with Carrie Fisher from 1979. She did a Leia in a bikini a few years before Return of the Jedi.

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 10:13:14 PM »

To help make the star wars special a bit more tolerable, the guys who did Mystery Science 3000 who now do riff trax have the holiday special with commentary you download or stream.  It doesn't make it good.... but it is far more tolerable :-)
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 10:14:24 PM »
To help make the star wars special a bit more tolerable, the guys who did Mystery Science 3000 who now do riff trax have the holiday special with commentary you download or stream.  It doesn't make it good.... but it is far more tolerable :-)

Oh cool. I love MST3K. I will check it out. Thanks

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 05:41:34 AM »

Wow.  I forgot Adrianne Palicki was Judy.  Of course she was a total unknown at that point so I suppose there is no reason I should have remembered her.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 02:43:38 AM »
Wow.  I forgot Adrianne Palicki was Judy.  Of course she was a total unknown at that point so I suppose there is no reason I should have remembered her.

Wow!  Didn't notice that.  Then again I didn't notice Caitlin Snow in Flash was the plant controller in Sky High.