Author Topic: Requesting help with COH model  (Read 4094 times)

ChaosMatrix

• Underling
Requesting help with COH model
« on: October 25, 2015, 11:04:20 AM »
My apologies first and foremost, since this is my first post and I am unsure if my request fits here.

I have a very dear friend of mine that used to play COH along with me, she loved and to this day talks about her time playing, regretfully she is going through some difficult times right now and I wanted to cheer her up by giving her the mesh of her character, which I of course plan to also rig, for her to use on another game. I have been studying carefully the post that was made here about extracting for 3d printing and although I was able to successfully acquire the 3d model, Im afraid Im do not know how to apply textures to it, or even if there are any on the folders were it stores the extracted data. (Im assuming it also need mapping?). My experience in these matters its loose at best, Im able to use blender and am quite adept at rigging, but I do not have the knowledge required to add the textures to the model.

I was wondering if anyone here has experimented with adding textures to the models and could assist me. I am sincerely sorry if this request troubles anyone, but I have spent several days searching and most of today learning to make the extracting work but am now faced with this wall that I am unable to pass by myself.

Thank you kindly in advance for any assistance

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Re: Requesting help with COH model
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 04:42:56 AM »
That's totally out of my wheelhouse, but it's a good place to ask.  Hopefully some of those familiar with the process will see the post and respond.

JoshexProxy

• [citation needed]²
  • Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 10:52:42 AM »
this looks like a job for one of several of us here.

I'm used to doing everything in blender, I have a few questions though;

what game does she want to use it in?

and do you have the textures and/or a copy of the costume file?

if you want to do it yourself I can help as well, you'll need to use UV mapping in the UV window, and add the texture image(S) to the material in the buttons window. also the game will have to be rendered in open GL mode not blender multi-texture.

to use the texture image in the UV window you'll have to take the mesh into edit mode, select faces of the model and press 'u' for unwrap, this will show a list of different methods for sending the selected faces to the UV image editor screen, which you can then drag around in the UV image editor to lay out as needed.

for costume changes , if it's a blender game you'll need to make another copy of the mesh add the different textures ETC. and set them to an invisible layer with 'm', it will then take a bit of python to spawn and parent them to where they need to go when they need to go there, it CAN be done using only logic bricks but it's not suggested.

if it's not a blender game you'll need to make the different costumes as different models on the same rig then import them separately to whatever game she wants.

I can give more detailed steps as needed, for now this is like the first layer of detail for what you'll need to do.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 02:27:24 PM »
My apologies first and foremost, since this is my first post and I am unsure if my request fits here.

I have a very dear friend of mine that used to play COH along with me, she loved and to this day talks about her time playing, regretfully she is going through some difficult times right now and I wanted to cheer her up by giving her the mesh of her character, which I of course plan to also rig, for her to use on another game. I have been studying carefully the post that was made here about extracting for 3d printing and although I was able to successfully acquire the 3d model, Im afraid Im do not know how to apply textures to it, or even if there are any on the folders were it stores the extracted data. (Im assuming it also need mapping?). My experience in these matters its loose at best, Im able to use blender and am quite adept at rigging, but I do not have the knowledge required to add the textures to the model.

I was wondering if anyone here has experimented with adding textures to the models and could assist me. I am sincerely sorry if this request troubles anyone, but I have spent several days searching and most of today learning to make the extracting work but am now faced with this wall that I am unable to pass by myself.

Thank you kindly in advance for any assistance

If you are willing to send me the mesh I could print out a model in "natural" PLA (which is white and translucent). It depends on whether you (or she) is willing to cut away the support pieces from the printing process, sand down any rough spots, possibly glue together a front and back (it often greatly reduces the support structures to do this) and paint it all. Note that dangley bits like long hair or capes are better left off (then added to the model using fabric, doll hair, etc.)

PM me if you might want this. I'm more than happy to help out a former player who's feeling down! For me it's only a buck or 2 of plastic and several hours of waiting for it to finish...

ChaosMatrix

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 01:12:50 AM »
this looks like a job for one of several of us here.

I'm used to doing everything in blender, I have a few questions though;

what game does she want to use it in?

and do you have the textures and/or a copy of the costume file?

if you want to do it yourself I can help as well, you'll need to use UV mapping in the UV window, and add the texture image(S) to the material in the buttons window. also the game will have to be rendered in open GL mode not blender multi-texture.

to use the texture image in the UV window you'll have to take the mesh into edit mode, select faces of the model and press 'u' for unwrap, this will show a list of different methods for sending the selected faces to the UV image editor screen, which you can then drag around in the UV image editor to lay out as needed.

for costume changes , if it's a blender game you'll need to make another copy of the mesh add the different textures ETC. and set them to an invisible layer with 'm', it will then take a bit of python to spawn and parent them to where they need to go when they need to go there, it CAN be done using only logic bricks but it's not suggested.

if it's not a blender game you'll need to make the different costumes as different models on the same rig then import them separately to whatever game she wants.

I can give more detailed steps as needed, for now this is like the first layer of detail for what you'll need to do.

She doesnt knows Im atempting to do this, but its for use in Secondlife. While Im good with mesh rigging, I have been trying to learn how to uv map with no success.  I've already ripped the character using demorecorder, icon and the intructions provided here. I also kept the pieces of the costume separated, figured it would be easier to work with that way, but I wish to utilize the entire mesh, including the female shape underneath the armor, not just the armor. I desire the most faithful recreating of her character I can muster.

I also have the costume file if necesary. The method descrived here for intercepting the opengl renders leaves me with more texture files that I can possibly identify with my lack of experience.  I can make all the files I've got avaliable to you if you desire to help me.

My gratitude for replying so promply

JoshexProxy

• [citation needed]²
  • Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 01:54:45 AM »

She doesnt knows Im atempting to do this, but its for use in Secondlife. While Im good with mesh rigging, I have been trying to learn how to uv map with no success.  I've already ripped the character using demorecorder, icon and the intructions provided here. I also kept the pieces of the costume separated, figured it would be easier to work with that way, but I wish to utilize the entire mesh, including the female shape underneath the armor, not just the armor. I desire the most faithful recreating of her character I can muster.

I also have the costume file if necesary. The method descrived here for intercepting the opengl renders leaves me with more texture files that I can possibly identify with my lack of experience.  I can make all the files I've got avaliable to you if you desire to help me.

My gratitude for replying so promply

sure, I'd love to help! send me the model(s) and textures.

I know about second life, so this should work. you can email me directly if you like rather than upload them, I'll PM my email.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 12:47:18 PM »
Ok I'm having way too many interruptions in life to work on this. it's not anyone's fault, just things got hectic here. I really need a permanent residence rather than hopping around.

So, I'll send you what I've done, it'll open in any blender version but for UV mapping I suggest 249b because of the hotkeys and buttons, in 2.5+ all the nice buttons for specifics were hidden and all the hotkeys were set to different keys and such.

sorry to take so long.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 12:44:53 PM »
OK, well at your request I did finish the shirt, that makes 2 parts done, the pants and shirt.

hopefully those are the worst of the layouts, (considering that the other objects have less faces it should be the case)

the behind head detail is a direct layout so that can be done in an instant. Edit; lol I didn't even need to make a UV layout for the detail.

I know I wont leave you much time for rigging, but at least it should look nice for christmas.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:57:00 PM by Joshex »

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

FeliciaDivine

• Lieutenant
    • IMVU Fashion Elite
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »
 If you want it done quickly and professionally one of IMVU's best designers has moved to Second Life, her name is Geo (from Australia), she is famous for her BloodRose logo among many other things...go to http://www.geoonline.org to see what she does and to contact her.
 If your on IMVU (its a chat site similar to SL) I could do it for you as well.
 Your awesome Joshex, I hope you can finish it...but if your too busy for a project...at least Geo is a great backup.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 03:42:54 PM by FeliciaDivine »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 12:18:31 AM »
If you want it done quickly and professionally one of IMVU's best designers has moved to Second Life, her name is Geo (from Australia), she is famous for her BloodRose logo among many other things...go to http://www.geoonline.org to see what she does and to contact her.
 If your on IMVU (its a chat site similar to SL) I could do it for you as well.
 Your awesome Joshex, I hope you can finish it...but if your too busy for a project...at least Geo is a great backup.

thanks for the note, it looks like I should be able to do it, I got the helmet done today, just need to do the helmet details and mask/face, then 2 pieces of armor and the gloves and boots. sounds like alot still lol.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 12:15:35 PM »
Got the head details done. the mask/face is half done. will finish the mask today. next is the kilt, then the chest armor. then gloves and boots.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 12:45:12 AM »
got the kilt and shoulder armor done. sadly it's already christmas so I'm behind schedule.