Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens  (Read 3504 times)

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« on: October 20, 2015, 04:42:59 PM »
Here is the official trailer of the movie. It comes out December 18, 2015.
Who's ready to see this movie?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 05:19:48 PM »
Ready to see it, but expectations are set at the lowest. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
So excited, will see it opening week for sure.  Can't believe it's been 10 years since Episode III already.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 08:55:19 PM »
I cant believe its been 38 years since I saw the original in 1977 in its first week.

And you kids may not believe this since these days they come out on home video in like 3 months -
Star Wars played in the theaters for over ONE YEAR, no stop before they finally started to pull it off the circuit.
I still have in my attic someplace a decent collection of original newspaper adverts, with ones with a birthday cake celebrating the one year anniversary.

At the time NO ONE thought it was going to be this huge. Which is why Fox let Lucas keep the rights to all the merchandise and whatever.
Whoever made that decision at Fox should be in the same unemployment line with that first guy that turned down the Beatles thinking they will never amount to anything.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 11:44:41 PM »
Had my dad drive me to meet up with friends.  Still remember the drive because I didn't think we would get there in time to get seats together and hit up the snack bar.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 02:05:52 AM »

And you kids may not believe this since these days they come out on home video in like 3 months -
Star Wars played in the theaters for over ONE YEAR, no stop before they finally started to pull it off the circuit.

I remember Star Wars showing for over a year at the two biggest theaters here in San Antonio.  I saw it many times for a $1.50 a ticket.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 02:11:15 AM »
I was born a year before Star Wars hit the theaters.  And somehow I didn't actually discover the movie until I was in about third grade.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 03:25:50 AM »
I guess its hard for the younger generation to understand what an impact that film had.

Most of the kids now only know of it from DVD or the Lucas butchered versions.

But for those of us they saw it 'live' so to speak, it was a big deal.

And I remember Empire being even bigger.

In those days they weren't on home video for maybe years after being in the theaters.
So the only way to see them was to keep going to the theaters.
I used to go every two weeks to see Empire, pay my $4 and stay in the theater for 3 showings because they used to let you stay as long as you wanted once you bought the ticket.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 06:06:32 AM »
I was born a year before Star Wars hit the theaters.  And somehow I didn't actually discover the movie until I was in about third grade.

I'm a bicentennial kid, myself, and I didn't discover Star Wars until after I'd seen the first three Trek movies.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 06:38:32 AM »
I was 4 when Star Wars came out in 77 and 7 when The Empire Strikes Back was released in 80.  My older brothers watched them as they premiered and talked about them endlessly while I was considered to be too young.  I used to talk about it with my babysitter, telling her how much I wanted to see them.  She remembered that and took me to a double feature, New Hope and Empire in 82 and then Return of the Jedi the following year in 83.  I didn't need a babysitter anymore but we continued watching movies together like Back to the Future, 6th Sense, Ghostbusters, Batman, Forrest Gump, Toy Story, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon etc.  It's been at least 12 years since we watched a movie together but we still visit one other around our birthdays and Xmas.  I'm going to call her up to see if she wants to see the Force Awakens for the holidays!

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 07:53:45 AM »
The Hype is strong with this one.

Something I've always appreciated about the Star Wars films is their excellent sound design, with memorable SFX like the menacing buzz of the lightsaber, to the banshee howl of the tie fighter, Darth Vader's iconic breathing, the high pitched sound of laser blasters, the asteroid depth charges in episode 2, the metallic steps of the walkers, ect. The sound really goes a long way to differentiate it from other sci fi series.

Then of course there's the music of John Williams, can't be beat. Anyone know if he returned as the composer? If not, I'm not too worried since the music in the trailer did a good job of bringing back all the SW nostalgia.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 09:08:55 AM »
There *has* been a lot of hype for this movie.  I'd be more excited if not for the lingering disappointment of the prequels.  But the fact that they worked in more practical effects - if I were inclined to allow myself to be hopeful, that would be a major reason.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 04:57:24 PM »
Then of course there's the music of John Williams, can't be beat. Anyone know if he returned as the composer?

Yep.

indiramourning

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 05:07:23 PM »
I cant believe its been 38 years since I saw the original in 1977 in its first week.

Indeed Star Wars played at the Grauman's Chinese theater for well over a year.  How do I know?  I saw it there at least 10 times over the year it played there.   ;)

I also saw the Empire Strikes Back at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood when it was the most awesome movie theater ever.  ;D

Sometimes being old has its advantages.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 05:33:24 PM »
I'm sure opening weekend is going to blow the top grossing film in history so far out of the water.

These are the sequels that Lucas wanted to do years ago.

Early articles in magazines around Empire had Lucas saying he was going to do another one, then three sequels, before the actors got too old to do them, and then go and do the prequel films. And I remember reading the prequels were going to be like 1,000 years ago, and not 30 or 40 years like he ended up doing.

So he was off by about 35 years - but still.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 08:57:04 PM »

Reminds me of the final scene in Fanboys....

"What if the movie sucks?"

Bwah-ha-ha-ha!

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 10:43:34 AM »

Plot-wise & Dialogue I'm expecting it to be better than 1+2+3, minimum.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 07:47:09 PM »
The Hype is strong with this one.

Something I've always appreciated about the Star Wars films is their excellent sound design, with memorable SFX like the menacing buzz of the lightsaber, to the banshee howl of the tie fighter, Darth Vader's iconic breathing, the high pitched sound of laser blasters, the asteroid depth charges in episode 2, the metallic steps of the walkers, ect. The sound really goes a long way to differentiate it from other sci fi series.

Then of course there's the music of John Williams, can't be beat. Anyone know if he returned as the composer? If not, I'm not too worried since the music in the trailer did a good job of bringing back all the SW nostalgia.

That's one of my favorite sound effects from the movies.

I was against Episode VII from the moment they announced it and swore I'd never watch it (because I don't trust J.J. Abrams to not pancake it up and it's overwriting all the awesome existing lore), but the hype and the fact that the trailers do look and feel like Star Wars, is making it difficult.