Author Topic: The CDR Nerf was a mistake  (Read 2578 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
The CDR Nerf was a mistake
« on: September 19, 2015, 01:46:13 PM »
Fire, I won't build for anymore until something changes again. They've completely ruined the chain of attacks.

Fire Snake - with full cdr gear on I have 23 second (!) Fire Snakes (a low damaging elemental debuff) - it only lasts 16... 

Heat wave - it baaaaaarely was useful before with the advantage, as a debuff. I used it for a solid year (I played Fire almost exclusively for a year) and was still on the fence whether to keep it or not. It has to be applied more than once is the problem. Now, with an even longer recharge....? Please.

Flashfire - 12 seconds. Flashfire is a fire patch you lay under enemies feet. You think CO fights last 12 seconds? Nuuuuu. I barely could fire this off to usefulness before. Oh, and it only lasts *10* seconds..

Other powers that got ruined/made a lot less fun/effective that I've run into so far...

Evasive Manuevers w/advantage - this only has a 50% change to work as-is and now you have to wait significantly longer to get that 50/50 chance.

Dark Transfusion...... - This power already has a huge penalty, I know, I've probly used it more than most (all?). NOW you can't even perma it.. With full CDR gear I have at least a 4 second gap.

I didn't check my AD's and am not going to get real worked up about those due to they are a single thing - a get out of jail free card - and I know get out of jail free cards *always* change so I never build around them.

AO's got hit hard. AO's are really ghetto CoH buildups as-is. Now they suck harder.

I haven't played anything but newbs since the patch and I still see all this. Someone in Rampagers said their Telepathy build got trashed similarly to Fire and they had the same reaction as me - put the build away until things change again.

This wasn't like the dodge nerf that only affected a single aspect of the game. As I said in posts before the nerf - recharge effects eeeeeeeveryone. I think even Travel powers recharge slower?

What they have done is slow the entire game down, gave us less to build for (recharge), ruined our recharge gear that took a damn long time to get, ruined a whole slue of powers, and made building in general less fun.

Before, it was a mini-game to balance cdr with cost reduction and you could tweak your build one way or the other with these two things to get it to run smoother. Now there is no way to tweak how you chain your powers and eeeeeveryone had Sooooome cdr before. About everyone has at least 10 int and soooome cdr on their gear...

Anyway, they goofed. And I think it was a big goof and it makes me sad because one of the things I luv most about the game is toonbuilding. Not playing Grond or flying around in vehicles that I have to pay for to get nerfed. Since I have started playing toonbuilding is always nerfed and never buffed. The only exception I can think of is the new ultimate powers and that's a dubious exception.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
Re: The CDR Nerf was a mistake
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 04:58:32 AM »
Personally I think rather than nerfing it across the board they should've done diminishing returns in a similar manner to how they did with crit chance at one point. Where it's easy to get some but hard to get lots. That plus making the AO/AD shared cooldown unaffected by CDR would've been enough to start with, then if certain specific powers were still overperforming after that they could adjust the specific powers rather than nerf everyone.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 01:42:56 PM »
Since I started playing, I've seen that complaining about the game and prophesizing its doom is almost as popular as playing the game itself. I, like to play the game and like the people playing it and am not worried if it's going to shut down. I'm happier when there's nothing but good stuff to talk about - like Blood Moooooon coming up.

But this sucks. I have two shiny new FF slots after not making but 1 newb for over a year (I've done some build swaps) and I'm like 'well, crap, what now..'. That is not normal at all for me.

Balancing cooldown/cost reduction was a pretty decent tool when it comes to making a build not like everyone else's and not like your last - and, tweaking how you chain your powers. Now it's like the game got dumbed/slowed down. To me, anyway.

Man, and check your device cooldowns...

Even travel powers refreshing slower bugs me.

CO got me used to playing fast and I like it!

Liked.. it.

This is a mistake just waiting to get fixed. I won't prophesize CO doom but I'll prophesize another change to CDR. Our current gear is already at least half nerfed. It's only a matter of time before it gets raggedy enough to replace.

Have to make more vanilla flavored builds until then. And avoid certain powersets like Fire, which sucks.

It was a bad nerf. And about as poorly timed as possible as far as that goes. Two thumbs down.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 07:30:10 PM »
Cryptic devs just aren't smart. Years later they nerf dodge as part of a small content update and now suddenly cool down reduction. This game has received fewer content updates than any mmo I've ever played and that's saying alot. It goes all the way back to how the CoX devs were for a very long time with nerf and nerf and hardly any content updates. But it's just insanely stupid to suddenly do a balance nerf pass on something that's been basically the same since day one. It's like they want to intentionally sabotage the game and piss off the few that still play.

Personally I haven't played at all in the last few months but if I login and find my characters to be drastically affected by this I don't imagine I'll be playing much at all anymore. Because as soon as people figure out a way around this nerf they will nerf the next thing people flock to and that just gets old...

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 10:15:14 PM »
Cryptic devs just aren't smart.

*shrug*

as soon as people figure out a way around this nerf they will nerf the next thing people flock to and that just gets old...

Yup. This is what's got me down. It has already gotten old. Like what's left of their gear that they keep trashing.

No retcons and yet again major nerfing during an anniversary party definitely gets two thumbs down too.

>>

Something about this nerf, too, is it affects sooooo many powers. I got used to how long everything takes to recharge w/ full cdr gear. Now I feel ripped off whenever I choose a power with a recharge.

I also don't team anymore. I used to team 99% of the time in CO. And now when I do team to knock out an occasional daily, I do it as boring and vanilla as possible because, hey, we don't want to make anyone feel inadequate in any way.

Maybe it's me, and it probably is, but to *me* the players that make my jaw drop add magic. I never have once seen someone wow me in CO or CoH and thought 'man, they need to be less powerful'. To *me* those people have the opposite effect. They inspire me because they 'beat the machine'.

It has also been my experience that these people are often some of the most fun and generous and patient players. Probably because it generally takes a love of the game and playing with other people to be that good.

Anyway.. I dunno. I don't see anything wrong with the way CDR worked before. As with everything player enhancing in the game it could have used more sophistication but I don't see how it was OP or why it needed removing as it was. Now, we have very little control at all how we chain our powers on cooldown and every power in the game that was on cooldown fires off slower. It was a bad nerf.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 10:55:57 PM by Xev »
Some Faves: