Author Topic: Your Most Unique Builds/Character Designs  (Read 20508 times)

OniMeteorix

• Underling
  • Patiently awaiting the day we all can come home.
Your Most Unique Builds/Character Designs
« on: August 12, 2015, 02:03:20 AM »
So this is my first time back to the CoH community since the shutdown, but I'm so excited to see it's still going strong. I've been going through Paragon Chat and Titan Icon and torturing myself looking over old saved costumes and chat logs (that one got really emotional).

That being said, I'm feeling nostalgic and wanted to chat about some of my favorite alts (I was a depraved altaholic), particularly the ones I really wish I could play right now. I'm hoping you guys will have some of your own to share and commiserate on.

Barnes, the Power Armored Defender
FORCE FIELD / BEAM RIFLE

When I started this build, I had been reading about the upcoming SWTOR and I thought it was really cool how they had ranged tanks. I was determined to recreate something similar. This toon was built around using pool powers like Fighting and Presence to give him mild tankability for when there were no real tanks available. I really enjoyed playing differently than the game wanted me to and had a lot of fun with this toon. I would often run in toward mobs with AoE and cone attacks (that beam rifle was bad ass) and top it off with Provoke and Personal Force Field to let the aggro rain down on me while I sat back and watched my teammates unleash the DPS fury upon the enemy. And yes, the design aspect of this character was based on the Fallout series.

I loved being able to say "I can tank" and then actually do it successfully. It didn't really serve any particular need other than being extremely fun to play. Sadly, the game ended before I ever got to make any real progress with this guy and he will be forever left behind on Talos Island with the other early twenty-somethings.

What really unique playstyle toons are you guys feeling nostalgic about?
They can shut off the servers, but they can't take away who we are. We are the Heroes of Paragon City.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
Re: Your Most Unique Builds/Character Designs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 02:06:42 AM »
 Welcome.. you are among friends.. !!!

OniMeteorix

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 02:13:28 AM »
Welcome.. you are among friends.. !!!

OniMeteorix likes this.
They can shut off the servers, but they can't take away who we are. We are the Heroes of Paragon City.

Auroxis

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 06:54:51 AM »
My main character Auroxis, an Empathy/Rad Defender, didn't start off as anything special. Over time as I got more experience with him, I tried pushing the limits in terms of solo-play by doing things uncharacteristic of a "support" character. Didn't create a "solo-build" or anything, just made sure I took the important damage powers and slotted them accordingly, using them whenever I had downtime between buffs+heals.

I used Lore pets+buff synergy to take down a rikti pylon in 1:20 minutes and posted about it on the forums, which naturally got the reply of "lore pets don't count, you didn't solo it by yourself". So I took that as a challenge, and solo'd an AV without lore pets.

OniMeteorix

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 02:32:12 PM »
My main character Auroxis, an Empathy/Rad Defender, didn't start off as anything special. Over time as I got more experience with him, I tried pushing the limits in terms of solo-play by doing things uncharacteristic of a "support" character. Didn't create a "solo-build" or anything, just made sure I took the important damage powers and slotted them accordingly, using them whenever I had downtime between buffs+heals.

I used Lore pets+buff synergy to take down a rikti pylon in 1:20 minutes and posted about it on the forums, which naturally got the reply of "lore pets don't count, you didn't solo it by yourself". So I took that as a challenge, and solo'd an AV without lore pets.

Nice, got any good pics?

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 04:59:09 PM »
Shortly before the game was closed down I began experimenting with a Fire/Dark Melee build.  I was trying to pair Fire up with an attack set that provided some damage mitigation and a heal to bolster Fire's lack of both (Yeah, I know, Fire had a heal....but it needed an assist).  Dark Melee provided debuffs and an extra heal.  By level 20 I began to notice a substantial improvement in my Fire tank's survivability.  Dad-gum shame that the game closed before I could take it further.

Auroxis

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 06:45:14 PM »
Nice, got any good pics?

I took this one before the game went down.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 02:04:57 AM »
 Never took lots of pics.. hardly any actually..

Have all my builds in Mids though..

Shibboleth

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 03:19:36 AM »
I played in CoH beta, came into the game and made my first, beloved character Irradical. She was a Radiation/Electrical Defender. One guy, a tattoo artist with really incredible skills at drawing, liked her costume so much he drew a scene of her and sent me the picture. She was quickly followed up with by Vae Victis, my Dark Melee/Invulnerability Scrapper. Due to circumstances I do not want to go into, I left the game for several years.

When I returned, beloved though my characters were, I decided to change servers and start a new slate. It did not take long to develop a long list of characters. One of the ones whose concept I greatly enjoyed developing and playing around was my Fire Melee/Dark Armor Tanker, Pitchfire.

Shibboleth

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 04:05:13 AM »
I had played one of my melee characters in a couple sewer missions with people who had powers with annoyance potential they were doing little to control. Somewhat pissed, I decided that I would make a character with as much annoyance potential as I could cram in. This resulted in my Gravity Control/Energy Assault Dominator, Sunburst. The idea was that I would have plenty of annoyance possibilities between Energy attacks and their knockbacks, Propel, Singularity, Dimension Shift, and Phase Shift.

As it turned out, he was not only a lot of fun to play but also very useful on a team. I had not considered that Gravity Control roots and holds. So being friendly I could lock things in place and not worry about knockback annoying others. Conversely, I could easily knock things away from teammates who needed the distance. And of course using a portal to dump a guy into a pack of singularities was great humor value.

OniMeteorix

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 04:35:23 AM »

LagunaShirogane

• Underling
  • The Legendary Bolt Templar
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 05:24:51 AM »
I gotta give my most unique character design to my very first Hero I made on CoH back when when it came out in 2004 (I lost my account and eventually recreated him on CoH years later on CoH Freedom). His name was Bolt Templar. Taking the name "Templar" from Blizzard Entertainment's StarCraft series at the time. Templar was meant as a special honor or protector or guardian in the StarCraft world...so i carried over that meaning to CoH. Bolt Templar was a Mutant Electric Blaster/Manipulator. His main colors consisted of black and neon green (or electric green). His hair was long, straight, and white with glowing green eyes that matched his main color. He had a metal plate over his right eye (similar to Kano in Mortal Kombat series). His top was black long sleeve tights with green electricity designs that went up from his wrists, up his sleeves and onto the top of his chest. He had small black spiked paulderons on his shoulders with a green outline on the shoulder pad itself and the spikes's tips were the same shade of green. He also had black colored banded wraps on his hands. He had a large studded black belt with the buckles and studs colored green. His pants were baggy black pants with a large green lightning bolt down each side of his legs. His boots were hidden under his pants but were banded black boots with the same green lightning bolt design that's on his pants so that the lightning bolts seem to stream down to the ground. This was just his first initial design when he's first made. He has an alternate outfit too that gives him more of a "Raziel from Soul Reaver"-like look. But his first and main look is the one that really gives him his uniqueness. His electrical attacks are neon green colored as well. To me, colors set a character's theme along with his powers. I mean, Superman is Red, Blue, and Yellow....Neon Green and Black is Bolt Templar's.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 07:04:57 AM by LagunaShirogane »
Bolt Templar - Freedom Server, Mutant Electric Blaster/Electric Manipulator
Born AKA Created - 2004

Shibboleth

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 11:27:02 AM »
Awesome lore blurb, Shibs.
Really cool costume. What's his name?

Thanks. Second guy's name is Sunburst.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 03:44:24 PM »
I didn't spend a great deal of time creating unique characters and bios. But, there are at least three characters I believe deserve mention.

Player 1 and his teammate Player 2.  I cannot describe their costumes, but they had used binds or macros to communicate with common phrases used in games.

I can't recall the specifics, but I was impressed.

Piggy Bank - This fellow would have an identically named and costumed character on each server and would accept some inf from one server and meet you on another server and give you the same amount back. Tipping was optional.

Naked Mole Rat - This fellow was a great bridge and mentor at level 96. He looked how one would imagine a naked mole rat to look. And his speech was always slightly amusing, as I imagined a British accent with the use of words like "Chums" and "Mate".
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 06:38:26 PM »
Shortly before the game was closed down I began experimenting with a Fire/Dark Melee build.  I was trying to pair Fire up with an attack set that provided some damage mitigation and a heal to bolster Fire's lack of both (Yeah, I know, Fire had a heal....but it needed an assist).  Dark Melee provided debuffs and an extra heal.  By level 20 I began to notice a substantial improvement in my Fire tank's survivability.  Dad-gum shame that the game closed before I could take it further.
I made this exact type of toon as a Brute. He was very fun but I never liked Fire Armor set that much. I DID do a Tank as a Shield/Dark Melee that was pretty awesome and a Elec Armor/Dark Melee Brute...both of which were very fun to play. Dark Melee is one of those sets that, once you get the hang of it, are very fun to play. I personally liked that it had two moves that were high dmg and all Negative damage to boot (IIRC it was the heal and the tier 9 move midnight grasp). I buzz-sawed through many baddies with that one.

Made a build the other day for a brute, a Elec Melee/Shield Defense and used both the Lightning Rod and Shield Charge PLUS picked the Jumping Power Pool for Spring Attack. Three chances to TP to a group and do dmg in the process while keeping my Fury up. Even managed to get get my defenses at 45%+ for all positional attacks. Decent HP buff was also helpful but I miss a healing move like in Dark Melee.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 08:19:10 PM »
I had a Spines/DA Scrapper named Ms.Conduct.  Her story went something like this:

A member of a team of mutant mercenaries for hire.  On a job for the Malta, team was backstabbed and slaughtered with the exception of Ms.Conduct who manages to survive.  With the help of Azuria, Ms.Conduct finds and tortures some Circle of Thorn to open a portal to hell so she can save her team. 

In hell, Ms.Conduct tricks death, cheats him and escapes with the souls of all her teammates.  Unfortunately, without the teammates bodies to keep their souls in the physical plane of existance, they would slowly slip back into hell.  Ms.Conduct becomes the host body of her 11 murdered teammates.  She carries them, nurtures them, keeps their spirits safe within her. 

The teammates knowing if Ms.Conduct dies, they would slip back to hell.  So they help her, fight for her, protect her by killing any threat in their way.  They physically alter Ms.Conduct making her a juggernaut vs any opponent. 

Wish I had a better pic showing the Ghost Aura swirling around the Death Shroud/Cloak of Fear animations.

Shibboleth

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 03:02:38 AM »
That is really amazingly well done.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 03:21:28 PM »
That is really amazingly well done.

I agree....very well done.

syntaxerror37

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 03:38:40 PM »
At some point in the later years of CoH I re-rolded an old relatively unplayed character named Silent Shot from an Archery/Devices to an Archery/Darkness manipulation blaster.  I had other better liked */devices blasters and I wanted to try out darkness manipulation after it had gone live.  He was working out great and was a blast to play.  The quick attacks of archery synergized well with the heavy hitting dark attacks if they made it too close to me.  He was somewhere in the 20s when the shutdown came.  I still wonder what he would have been like fully slotted and IO'd out.

Kiddletron

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 07:02:50 PM »
I don't really believe he counted as unique playstyle, but my Spider had a pretty neat theme.
Take a stab at what it was.

Good ol' Operative was a Mu Spider. Up until I got the Mu Mastery powers, he was just a regular looking mook, with the cool black armor and such. Afterwards, though, I changed his whole theme to match the Mu guys. I tried to make him as tanky as possible with the Incarnate powers, to round him out a bit more.

Lots of folk told me he looked like a power ranger.