Author Topic: New Crowdfunding campaign  (Read 5479 times)

Adolfo

New Crowdfunding campaign
« on: August 11, 2015, 06:17:47 PM »
Hello, fellow gamers.

Like you, my team and I have been in superhero mmorpg withdraw since City Of Heroes shutdown almost three years ago. We recognise that since then several grassroots projects sprung up, and we respect and applaud their intentions and effort.

Because there still isn't a proper City Of Heroes successor on the market, we thought we'd give it a go. As such, we began developing a storyline and some concept art, and a few days we launched a crowdfunding campaign (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/superhero-an-mmorpg-video-game/x/11690650#/story) on IndieGoGo. We hope you'll support us.

Thanks,
Adolfo

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
Re: New Crowdfunding campaign
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 09:36:19 PM »
I applaud the effort your making and I'm actually considering pledging to the campaign myself but I can't help but worry about some of the risks involved with the project.
The art you have so far is really nice and its clear you have some concepts and ideas thoroughly thought through and all but developing an MMO, especially one as ambitious as a shiny new City of Heroes successor is going to take a ridiculous amount of time and effort. A year and a half is a decent amount of time to be sure, but neither City of Titans, Heroes and Villains, or Valiance Online have made it close to a time frame like that and Valiance was in development before City of Heroes even went offline.

I don't mean to be a downer or anything and like I've said I support what you are trying to do entirely, its just that we've lost quite a lot of the community at this stage so unfortunately that means less potential supporters of your project, anyway enough of me being depressing and voicing concerns; good luck with the Indiegogo and I'll likely pledge a bit of money to it myself :)

Adolfo

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 11:10:29 PM »
Blackout,

Thank you for the compliments and support.

Your statements are completely valid.

Regarding the estimated development time of 18 months, that's a best case scenario whereupon none to few major obstacles are encountered. It's also relative to the size of the development and efficiency of the development team and project leaders. For example, if we double the number of developers, it should (in theory), reduce the development time by half. In actuality though, as size increases, efficiency decreases. So the actual increase in productivity may be 180%, instead of 200%. Still, that just reduced the development time by roughly 80% (if my arithmetic is correct).

I would guess that the principal reason CoT, H&V, and VO have yet to complete their associated projects is simply lack of resources. Given enough time, and surely they'll complete their projects. The problem therein becomes a matter of time. I would say that ideally, you don't want to spend more than 3 years in the pre-release development phase. Because then the user base (and even development members) move on to something else.

Our plan is to obtain no less than a fraction of the capital required (approximately 1/8th, roughly $400K), so we can continue development for 9 months, resulting in a functional game prototype that we allow us to secure the remaining capital.

I hope I managed to address some of your concerns.

Regards.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »
Ok, thanks for the reply that does make a bit more sense to me now. Sorry for voicing such negativity, but as you can imagine there are a lot of projects that end up being taken down due to their scope and their ambitions and I didn't want that to happen here. Thanks again for allaying some of my concerns and good luck with the project :)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 06:54:29 PM »
I am going to have to ask, where did you get the music for that?

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 05:51:48 PM »
More the merrier. The date you're starting simply means we'll get another super hero game after the others. Variety and competition are always good.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!