Author Topic: Sharknado!  (Read 4131 times)

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
Sharknado!
« on: July 22, 2015, 02:15:03 AM »
Finally logged into chat for the first time (and a hearty thanks to everyone who made it possible!)

Of course, I visited First Ward, one of my favorite zones in the game, right off the bat. And I noticed that the sharks are still there, swimming around.

I'm curious, though- I know there had been some discussion about difficulties of getting NPCs running, due to their AI and other technical info that is waaay over my head- but why are the sharks still running around? Don't they have a similar sort of AI coded into them, or is it just a matter of a small number of waypoints that they travel to and from, and being a relatively simple framework/graphic?

(In any event, it's been fun traveling around; never noticed some of the detail work, and particularly the sounds- I don't recall ever having heard the chimes of the church in First Ward, or seeing Nova Praetoria at night, etc.)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: Sharknado!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 02:40:17 AM »
The sharks are not NPCs and aren't technically moving at all. They are a particle FX that circles around, similar to the particles that spin around your character when certain powers are active, or the twisting dots around an energy bolt, etc. They are just using a more substantial model for the particle than most FX do.

The anchor point of the effect itself is fixed on the map and does not move.

HorseManDemon

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 02:41:14 AM »
Hah, yeah. I was swimming around in there the other day. I have a thing about deep water, and when I noticed them swimming around it gave me the jibblies. *Shudder*

Pretty cool to see them, though.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 02:47:42 AM »
Ah- I figured it was probably something simple like that (even as I secretly hoped I'd stumbled upon some undiscovered secret that would open up a world of possibilities for Paragonchat!  ;))

Thanks for confirming. It's really pretty cool to see, particularly in light of the rest of the empty wasteland.

Only the sharks remain...

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:49:35 AM »
I believe there are some flocks of seagulls in Imperial City and maybe Neutropolis that use the same principle - a fixed animated effect that appears to move a small animal around for atmosphere.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 03:03:23 AM »
Crows in parts of Neutropolis and near mother mayhems hospital as well. I don't recall if you can still find any pigeons on the ground anywhere or not though... I remember seeing them ingame and they sorta fly away when you get too close.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:43:33 AM »
The sharks are not NPCs and aren't technically moving at all. They are a particle FX that circles around, similar to the particles that spin around your character when certain powers are active, or the twisting dots around an energy bolt, etc. They are just using a more substantial model for the particle than most FX do.

The anchor point of the effect itself is fixed on the map and does not move.

Love to have Sharks for a base though. With laser beams. Ill-tempered even.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Primus1

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 03:53:26 AM »
We tried to get some, but it would've taken months to clear up the red tape

Love to have Sharks for a base though. With laser beams. Ill-tempered even.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 10:26:08 PM »
Where are these sharks?

I believe there are some flocks of seagulls in Imperial City and maybe Neutropolis that use the same principle - a fixed animated effect that appears to move a small animal around for atmosphere.

Interestingly, in Icon you can use /benpc and turn into a flock of seagulls.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 11:24:32 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 10:42:11 PM »
Where are these sharks?

Interestingly, in Icon you can use /benpc and turn into an flock to seagulls.

omg it works!