Author Topic: Paragon Chat 0.99i Beta!  (Read 209937 times)

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Chat 0.99 Beta!
« Reply #400 on: November 11, 2015, 06:43:04 AM »
Like, can XMPP ever get past being a communication language? Or will XMPP ALWAYS what it is now?
it makes some mean ransomware ;)

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Chat 0.99b Beta!
« Reply #401 on: November 11, 2015, 06:46:01 AM »
That's a known issue and sort of intentional.

Since one of the primary groups that would have a use for Paragon Chat is roleplayers, and since Galaxy City was a favorite hangout for RPers (especially on the European servers), the goal is to elevate it back to a tier 1 zone. Whether Paragon Chat represents a fixed point in time before it was destroyed, or a parallel timeline where the meteor hit somewhere else and the other events leading up to I24 still happened, the end result is still that it's available as a location.

I had previously done some experiments on the live servers, mostly using the bugged arcane SG porter that got missed, later the long-range teleport exploit. So I knew that the non-echo zone still existed, but the trainer and contact NPCs had been removed, probably to keep missions from accidentally sending you there. With PC my plan was to eventually add those back using the same method as Ascendant and Mender Sally, as special NPCs not present in the map file that the 'server' spawns anyway when the right zone is loaded.

However, upon hooking it up to the monorail, I quickly discovered that the door beacon and spawn point had been removed as well. Those will be a bit more annoying to fix, but not impossible, so I decided to leave it for now since we do have mapmove/mapmenu available. Hence the following comment in the default travel.cfg file:
    # Argh, the spawn location and door beacon for the monorail was
    # deleted from the map. Will have to hack in a hardcoded
    # workaround at some point.

Drat! Lord Nemesis moved an entire zone!

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #402 on: November 11, 2015, 07:11:51 AM »
That's a known issue and sort of intentional.

By coincidence, Galaxy City was the first place I decided to take the tram. It dropped me right outside of Gemini Park (technically, the Kings Row exit). I didn't have time then to try other destinations and simply thought maybe riding the train would drop you off at the same place the mapmove/menu would put you. That wouldn't have bothered me for a lot of reasons. It simply would have been fun to pretend to ride the rails again no matter where I ended up. All that aside, I'm comfortable having the Schroedinger's Galaxy City, both destroyed and not until you zone in to either one.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #403 on: November 11, 2015, 02:41:58 PM »
Quick technical question:  My PC is on its last legs, and we have a new one on order.  I'm currently backing up all my files and folders, including my Tequila folder with all the Paragon Chat files within. 

When the new PC comes, can I just upload the copied Tequila folder back onto it, or do I need to start from scratch and do the entire lengthy install from the links here in the Paragon Chat forum?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #404 on: November 11, 2015, 05:15:41 PM »
If you just copy your whole COH folder and run Paragon Chat from inside that it will work fine, you don't need to bother with tequila.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #405 on: November 12, 2015, 08:33:25 AM »
Trains are working.  Yes!  Good job!

Took the train from Founders, Talos, North Steel, South Steel to Galaxy. :)

Azrael.

Warchicken

• Underling
« Reply #406 on: November 12, 2015, 04:57:43 PM »
Trains are working.  Yes!  Good job!

Took the train from Founders, Talos, North Steel, South Steel to Galaxy. :)

Azrael.

Yes ! For all the convenience of Mapmenu, there's just something satisfying about using the trains...

It brings us that much closer to feeling like our beloved game is back  ;D
Chicken by birth. Hero by choice.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: Paragon Chat 0.99c Beta!
« Reply #407 on: November 14, 2015, 07:19:20 AM »
New update, patch notes below.

If you are already using Paragon Chat, do not re-download it! Just make sure your update setting is anything other than 'Never Check' and let the auto-update do its thing.

The exe linked in the first post is actually an older version which acts as a known-good bootstrap that can self-update to the latest.

Version 0.99c Beta
  • The /mapmenu command has been revamped. Instead of using the full-screen debug menu, a pop-up dialog similar to the trams is now used. Additionally, the zones are broken up into categories to make navigation easier.

IMPORTANT NOTE! If you find that all of the zones are being grouped under the 'Other' category, you may have a custom zone.cfg file installed that overrides the default zones. To restore the correct behavior if this happens, you will need to delete %APPDATA%\Paragon Chat\Config\zone.cfg

• If you are making a keybind, you can jump directly to a category page by specifying its name with the command. i.e. /mapmenu Rogue Isles will take you directly to the list of villain zones.

• As the debug menu is no longer needed, the fake accesslevel has also been removed. This will prevent the occasional odd pop-up messages. It also disables use of the drop-down console, but that console does not offer anything that can't be done from the chat window, it's just an alternate interface.

• It is now possible to change alignment without having to delete and re-create the character, useful if you accidentally pick the wrong one during character creation.

• Minor changes to a couple NPCs.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #408 on: November 14, 2015, 10:28:58 PM »
So glad to see the trains back, feels just that much more like being home in Paragon City again. 

A couple of quick question - I just got a new computer, and set up Paragon Chat on it, as well as remembering this time to copy over the "Paragon Chat" folder from my old computer's "Roaming" folder to my new computer's "Roaming Folder".  Paragon chat is now working well on my new computer, with two odd but minor exceptions.   First, on my older computer I had activated the extra emotes (ones that are more NPC-style, as well as some extra dance emotes, etc.) but that doesn't seem to have carried over to the new computer.  Is this something I have to activate again on the new one, and if so, can someone link me to the directions again? 

Also - while most of my alts copied over, the newest one did not.   And while most of the costumes for my alts copied over, the latest Halloween outfits I made for many of the alts also did not.  I'm trying to figure out why if I copied my entire costume file from the old-computer Tequila folder to the new one, some did not appear.  And no idea why a most recent alt didn't carry over.  Not sure what step I'm missing there.

EDIT:  I'm now using Windows 10, if that makes any difference.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:33:11 PM by Nyghtshade »

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #409 on: November 15, 2015, 01:25:08 AM »
It won't update for me... Any advice on what to do?

(Edit: Never mind, it updated for me, just had to restart my computer, it was being stupid :P )

(Edit #2: Don't know if this is happening to anyone else but all my toons have the same costumes and  I can only see their names while in the Character Select but that's it, I can't rename or delete em, nor can I see what they look like before I log em in)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:43:00 AM by Stitchified »

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: Paragon Chat 0.99d Beta!
« Reply #410 on: November 17, 2015, 08:25:21 AM »
Version 0.99d Beta
  • Text overrides put in place so that the game login screen reads "Local Account". This should maybe hopefully reduce confusion about what exactly this field is for and where the characters are stored. Okay, probably not, but worth a try.

• Local account names (used to distinguish character lists) are now case-insensitive. If you have previously created multiple accounts differing only by capital letters, they will be merged together.

• Reverted the change to unlock the crab backpack, disabling it for now. As the VEAT costume does not have a "None" backpack option, if it is unlocked, it cannot be unselected and you are forced to use the crab backpack. Existing costumes with the backpack will continue to work, but it will not be selectable during character creation or at the tailor until a solution can be found.

• Option added to always show global names above character avatars, in addition to character names. This is off by default and can be enabled in the options menu, under the Miscellaneous section near the bottom of the first tab.

• Fixed a bug that could result in a handle reference leak in certain circumstances, ultimately resulting in phantom characters persisting after logging off and back on.

• New command: /afk. Sets yourself as AFK, with an optional message. This is fully integrated with XMPP presence and you will appear as Away to people running an XMPP client. As XMPP presence updates are rather heavyweight, using this in rapid succession is highly discouraged, and there is a rate limiter in place to prevent it from being used too often. If you are looking for something to use in a keybind to show people you are typing, you want:

• New command: /typing. Causes an AFK-style bubble to appear over your head, with the intent that you are using it as a typing notification. As with /afk, it accepts an optional text message up to 48 characters long. This only appears to people near you and does not affect your AFK status as far as friends in other zones or on XMPP are concerned. It has no rate limit and does not trigger AFK auto-replies.

Note: If you create a keybind that contains "$$" and "afk" in it, the "afk" will be replaced by "tpg", which is a short alias of /typing. This is to help migrate legacy keybinds imported from saved files.

• The global friends list now shows the away status of friends, both those using Paragon Chat's /afk command as well as XMPP presence.

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #411 on: November 17, 2015, 04:39:08 PM »
Version 0.99d Beta
    [/li][li]New command: /afk. Sets yourself as AFK, with an optional message. This is fully integrated with XMPP presence and you will appear as Away to people running an XMPP client. As XMPP presence updates are rather heavyweight, using this in rapid succession is highly discouraged, and there is a rate limiter in place to prevent it from being used too often. If you are looking for something to use in a keybind to show people you are typing, you want:

[/li]
  • New command: /typing. Causes an AFK-style bubble to appear over your head, with the intent that you are using it as a typing notification. As with /afk, it accepts an optional text message up to 48 characters long. This only appears to people near you and does not affect your AFK status as far as friends in other zones or on XMPP are concerned. It has no rate limit and does not trigger AFK auto-replies.

This looks like an elegant solution given the limitations of Paragon Chat. The afk message was a clever work around on Live, and though it wasn't causing any server grief I kinda wished Paragon Studios had implemented something like this just to create a visual queue so it could be seen at a glance whether someone was afk or composing a lengthy response. (The afk is grey, I randomly thought a blue indicator could be used for tpg.) I'm not asking for something like that here, just thinking out loud.

Edit: And now that I've actually logged in and looked at the typing... bubble, it's even more betterer.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:29:55 PM by Valtyr »

TeamTeravolt

• Underling
« Reply #412 on: November 18, 2015, 04:31:30 AM »
What happened with .99d? Updated from .99c, nothing, it's dead, it won't launch at all.
Also the link points to .98d?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #413 on: November 18, 2015, 05:00:50 AM »
Nothing happened with it, there's a bunch of people online right now running 0.99d.

When you say won't launch, do you get any kind of error? How are you launching?

The link points to a bootstrap version that is known to be able to self-update to the latest without issue. At some point I'll probably replace it with a stripped-down copy that's smaller. It's necessary for Paragon Chat to relocate itself out of the COH directory in order to avoid UAC issues as well as to prevent some of the third-party launchers (which are not capable of doing any kind of version checking) from overwriting it with an older version whenever I release a new build.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #414 on: November 18, 2015, 11:30:38 AM »
Ver. 0.99d is working great for me.  Does exactly what it is supposed to do.  Thanks CW for you and anyone else that may be working with you to get us closer.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #415 on: November 19, 2015, 02:34:42 AM »
What happened with .99d? Updated from .99c, nothing, it's dead, it won't launch at all.
Also the link points to .98d?
There is no way for the link to point to 98d. It points to ParagonChat.exe, which is always the latest version (currently 99d). Try force-refreshing your browser cache?
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

TKDKID23

• Underling
« Reply #416 on: November 19, 2015, 03:36:36 AM »
I downloaded Paragon Chat and Tequila.  I signed into Paragon Chat with my user name and password.  After CoH Beta starts up I can get passed the sign in screen but after that it won't go any further than the user agreement screen.

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #417 on: November 19, 2015, 03:42:23 AM »
I downloaded Paragon Chat and Tequila.  I signed into Paragon Chat with my user name and password.  After CoH Beta starts up I can get passed the sign in screen but after that it won't go any further than the user agreement screen.
Did you click Accept on the User Agreement Screen? or Is it unresponsive once on the User Agreement Screen?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #418 on: November 19, 2015, 04:05:17 AM »

Press ALT+Enter to put the game in Windowed mode. You probably have Windows 8 or 10 with a funky DPI setting (and/or graphics drivers) causing the screen to be scaled wrong and the buttons to be off the edge.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #419 on: November 19, 2015, 04:43:16 AM »
There is no way for the link to point to 98d. It points to ParagonChat.exe, which is always the latest version (currently 99d). Try force-refreshing your browser cache?

The poster you quoted is partly correct. The copy on cohtitan.com that the first post links to hasn't been touched in some time and is actually an older version. I'm not sure who is maintaining Tequila, but as far as I know its manifest is in a similar situation and it downloads an older version.

However, the early 0.98 series is when the self-updater came into play. So if you download 0.98d from the OP, it defaults to "Automatically install minor upgrades". The first thing it does when you launch it is hit the paragon chat update server, see that a new version is available, and since 0.9.9.4 is considered a minor upgrade from 0.9.8.4, replace itself with the new version.

Given the sometimes rapid-fire nature of Paragon Chat releases, it seemed like the best course of action to avoid a perpetual game of catch up with uploading to two different sites, updating multiple links, etc. Especially with third-party launchers in the mix that would always lag behind. So the best course of action IMO is to provide a stable base download that people can easily revert back to if there is a bad update, but one capable of jumping straight to the latest once it's fixed.

Letting Paragon Chat update itself is quite a bit safer than downloading a new copy, since PC's self-update uses strong cryptographic signatures to validate that the file it downloads is legitimate.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:03:55 AM by Codewalker »