Author Topic: Paragon Chat 0.99i Beta!  (Read 210055 times)

mdlittle

• Underling
Re: Paragon Chat 0.99 Beta!
« Reply #340 on: August 26, 2015, 02:16:19 PM »
They are simulated because Paragon Chat does not have a powers system to speak of. It does not even load the powers data. It is hardcoded to send the client a power list of 3575737816, 1765014394, 1732896497, and 1013339550. Cookie to the first person to tell me what those numbers mean*.

Well, let me provide my disclaimer saying I am nowhere near a coder...,

- ...now, with that being said, it seems to me that those numbers relate to the process unto which teleport functions - the graphics starting teleport, the elimination of avatar, the new point unto which the avatar is respawned and then the graphics finalizing the teleport (along with the subsequent diminishing hover after effect). Is that what those numbers really mean? Pfft, heck if I know...but teleport is essentially a four-step process. Made sense to me at the time... ^_^
"You're about to find out why they call me 'The Melee Blaster'!!!..."

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #341 on: August 26, 2015, 04:31:34 PM »
Well, let me provide my disclaimer saying I am nowhere near a coder...,

- ...now, with that being said, it seems to me that those numbers relate to the process unto which teleport functions - the graphics starting teleport, the elimination of avatar, the new point unto which the avatar is respawned and then the graphics finalizing the teleport (along with the subsequent diminishing hover after effect). Is that what those numbers really mean? Pfft, heck if I know...but teleport is essentially a four-step process. Made sense to me at the time... ^_^

I thought CW was referring to the 4 "powers" now available: walk, sprint, superspeed, and fly.

I have no idea what they mean, but it is interesting to me that the one for walk (which is in tray slot 1) has the highest number, and was added to the game latest. But that is the extent of anything I can decipher, if that.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #342 on: August 26, 2015, 04:38:16 PM »
After getting to enjoy travel powers in PC, I experienced something odd at work today - a vaguely-familiar thought/feeling. It actually took me a couple of seconds to realize what it was: "I sure wish quitting time would get here, so that I can go home AND PLAY CITY OF HEROES." For the first time in three years, I found myself thinking that, and in those words - "play City of Heroes". Thank you, CW & Co. (THeM, whenever you're ready....)
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #343 on: August 26, 2015, 05:47:29 PM »
I have no idea what they mean, but it is interesting to me that the one for walk (which is in tray slot 1) has the highest number, and was added to the game latest. But that is the extent of anything I can decipher, if that.

I didn't list them in the order that they're sent (or the order that they appear in the tray for that matter).

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #344 on: August 26, 2015, 07:42:53 PM »
They are simulated because Paragon Chat does not have a powers system to speak of. It does not even load the powers data. It is hardcoded to send the client a power list of 3575737816, 1765014394, 1732896497, and 1013339550. Cookie to the first person to tell me what those numbers mean*.

Well, since I'm not eligible for the grand prize I'm not going to spoil everyone else's fun, but just looking at the numbers they can only be one of a very few things.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #345 on: August 26, 2015, 09:29:19 PM »
Well, since I'm not eligible for the grand prize I'm not going to spoil everyone else's fun, but just looking at the numbers they can only be one of a very few things.

These are likely just constants that refer to the individual powers, and these probably come in from a header file that is used to compile both the server and the client. The numbers (other than being distinct) probably have no meaning other than that. I'm betting that when a character logs in (or zones in), the server asks for lots of info about them, and these part of the data package.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #346 on: August 26, 2015, 10:13:56 PM »
These are likely just constants that refer to the individual powers, and these probably come in from a header file that is used to compile both the server and the client. The numbers (other than being distinct) probably have no meaning other than that. I'm betting that when a character logs in (or zones in), the server asks for lots of info about them, and these part of the data package.

1.  Generically speaking, they have to be constants that somehow refer to the powers.

2.  They almost certainly aren't data contained in header files.  That's a common conceptual error when one doesn't have experience dealing with data-driven software like MMOs.  Almost all of the data that corresponds to content in the game of any kind isn't "compiled" into the game software.  The game software itself is an engine that references data elements contained in some kind of text file, binary content file, or database.

3.  Power trays were saveable by players, so servers had a way to save the contents of the power tray and restore them when the player logged back in.  So the numbers are almost certainly what the server would have sent if the player happened to have a power tray that looked like what Paragon Chat's looks like.  However, its an unsatisfying answer (I think) to say "those numbers represent the powers in the tray" because I think as stated that's obvious.  I think Codewalker wants to know if someone could explain specifically what those numbers actually tell the client.  For example, does it tell the client "put these four icons in the tray" and the numbers represent the ids of the actual icons?  Or does it tell the client "the player has these four powers in their tray in this order" and the numbers represent the powers themselves, and the client is capable of figuring out what icon to put in which spot based on that information?

Hypothetically speaking, the numbers could even be an encoded bit of data that specifies, for each number, a power and a tray location (but its not).

I honestly haven't gone to check myself, but I can say that I suspect more players than just me could figure it out, on the assumption that I'm right and those ten digit numbers are really eleven digit numbers, in a manner of speaking.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #347 on: August 26, 2015, 10:39:40 PM »
I am pretty sure that the answer he's looking for is "how do those 4 numbers map to the specific powers that show up on the client?"

If what I'm thinking of is correct, the same mapping method applies to the number in a P-string.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #348 on: August 27, 2015, 05:29:50 AM »
These are likely just constants that refer to the individual powers

Warmer.

and these probably come in from a header file that is used to compile both the server and the client. The numbers (other than being distinct) probably have no meaning other than that.

Colder.

I'm betting that when a character logs in (or zones in), the server asks for lots of info about them, and these part of the data package.

Getting toasty.

So the numbers are almost certainly what the server would have sent if the player happened to have a power tray that looked like what Paragon Chat's looks like.

Icy.

Hint: They don't have anything to do with the tray. Paragon Chat sends the tray as four trios of numbers:

(1, 26, 1)
(1, 26, 0)
(1, 27, 0)
(1, 28, 0)

Where 1 indicates that the type of the tray item is a power. 26 is an index into a 0-based array, so the 27th powerset (Inherent.Inherent in this case), and 1 is the 2nd power in that set, in the order that the player acquired them (Walk). 26,0 is Inherent.Inherent.Sprint. 27 is the Speed pool, and 28 is the Flight pool, as they are the only sets that the player's character has other than the auto-granted ones.

If what I'm thinking of is correct, the same mapping method applies to the number in a P-string.

You should know that you're automatically disqualified as well. :P

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #349 on: August 27, 2015, 08:06:21 AM »
Icy.

In that case I misunderstood the question being answered.  I guess now I'm going to actually have to look them up.

Dyne

• Lieutenant
  • Gluer of Gears
« Reply #350 on: August 27, 2015, 01:12:42 PM »
I'd gotten as far as "Those look like PStrings, sans P", but wasn't sure where to go beyond that.
-= Virtue Server - 2004-06-13 to 2012-11-30 =-
hortis publicis gemini in aeternum

Usurper Dyne, Still Heart, River Elemental, Saul Invictus, Grim Grinner

mdlittle

• Underling
« Reply #351 on: August 27, 2015, 05:13:07 PM »
In that case I misunderstood the question being answered.  I guess now I'm going to actually have to look them up.

At least you got a temperature rating...I got a rock (...of course, it would help if I actually understood the question...).  :-[
"You're about to find out why they call me 'The Melee Blaster'!!!..."

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
« Reply #352 on: August 27, 2015, 11:46:40 PM »
Thank you Team Codewalker.
tried out the powers, felt like 2012 again....
I never thought we be traveling in Paragon again, it is sweet to be home.

"you open a door and reveal a door behind", humorous clips.

I totally agree. To say the  lease it is a whopping morale booster 8)
Doc Artz

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #353 on: August 28, 2015, 12:38:11 AM »
Oops! Somebody's in there and they're not dressed!

This one gave me a good chuckle. Thanks for these little eggs for us.

Warchicken

• Underling
« Reply #354 on: August 28, 2015, 04:47:39 AM »
Everytime I come home from work now, I'm almost giddy with excitement to see if there's a new update !   ;D

I'm super happy that I've grabbed the custom emotes, because NOW I can start making CoH comics again with my screenshots !

Chicken by birth. Hero by choice.

dooferbrains

• Underling
« Reply #355 on: August 28, 2015, 09:26:11 AM »
This new update is wonderful. You totally did it. I didn't think the simulated travel powers would look just like their original counterparts. It's neat seeing powers in the tray again. Would it be possible to speed up walking just a teensy bit? I understand if the answer is no. Thank you for your time.

Kobolt

• Underling
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #356 on: August 28, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
You have made an old man's heart feel young again...this is amazing!!!

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #357 on: August 29, 2015, 07:38:59 AM »
It is hardcoded to send the client a power list of 3575737816, 1765014394, 1732896497, and 1013339550. Cookie to the first person to tell me what those numbers mean*.

Granted, this is just a rough educated guess, but I'm guessing something to do with the individual powers' ID numbers within the client's power structured (Struct) database to look up and identify these powers' data from within the client-side's database so it knows what visual UI image to display in the tray, as well as which visual effects, sounds, and animations it should be referencing and pulling up to be played when the power is called...

Basically, the power information itself (its visual aspect at least, not its functionality) is likely all stored inside the struct database on the client's end, where each power is stored as a series of variables for all the needed client information(the visual aspects), and each power is assigned an ID number so the server can call the information up as needed without having to send excessive amounts of information to the client, since the client can just reference it locally without worrying about network latency.

It's possible, though I'm not entirely certain, that a portion of the ID number might actually reference specific variables within a specific power's struct information, allowing a single line like 3575737816 to tell the client that the power struct that needs to be pulled up is Flight pool's variation of Fly, and the client needs to play specific effects and animations according to the numbers in that line. So like (bare with me, rough number generalizations) 35 might be the first few digits to indicate that it needs to pull up the struct data for Fly, 75 might call up the specific animation state to be played, and 73 might be referencing the visual FX that needs to be rendered, and 78 could be telling it which sounds need to be played, and 16 could be referencing the specific power icon to be displayed in the tray and buff sub-display (not sure what it's called, the visual buff indicators that sit under the health/endurance bar).

I'm honestly a little iffy on this last part though, and I could be completely wrong about it, because it would become really cumbersome to be programming all the power references like this. It would probably require a massive spreadsheet just to keep the references all straight, but at the same time, it'd probably be a lot more efficient for the server to send and receive that single line of numbers to update all the client's information and have them pull it up locally than having to directly reference every effect, animation, sound, exc. separately to sync all the clients together to display the same thing... Of course, it could just have all those variables factored into the struct by default, and it's just pulling up all the information at once from the database in order to render and display the power being used, and the number itself is just a sequentially assigned ID number based on when the programmer actually made the power...

Again though, just a rough couple of guesses based off what I've learned in building my own games... I have enough experience in programming to say that that's what I would think to consider for designing the system (at a glance at least, in terms of actually building it though, I'd probably be doing it wrong and my brain would probably explode trying to straighten it out...), but I'm mostly an artist and not a programmer, so I could be thinking about this all wrong...

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #358 on: August 31, 2015, 02:15:22 PM »
Here's an odd question.  I didn't have CoH Beta on my laptop, but I do on my PC, so I copied the CoH Beta file from the NCSoft folder on my PC (which is where I had originally saved it) to a thumbdrive, and then uploaded it from the thumbdrive to the NCSoft folder on my laptop.  So far, so good.

Then I went back to my PC, thinking to save an extensive Tequila download time, and copied my entire Tequila, Icon I-24 folder (including the ParagonChat file) from My Documents, which is where I'd saved that, to the thumbdrive, and then uploaded it from the thumbdrive to the My Files folder on my laptop.  Everything looked to be good, so I made a Tequila shortcut and put it on my desktop, then clicked it - and it said it needed to download & install Tequila.  That seemed a little odd to me, but I assumed it would just check the newly uploaded Tequila files and update as needed.  (Took about an hour).

When that was done, I activated Tequila as usual, got the Tequila 1.0.0.16 window, watched the green bar fill, and hit play.  That opened the Paragon Chat Version 0.99 Beta log-in screen, as usual. 

I then logged in with my regular CoHTitan log-in username and PW, and  it opened Paragon Chat as usual, and when to my character-select screen.  However, none of my characters were there, even though I'd copied everything (I thought) from my PC where I usually play around in Paragon Chat.

I'm not sure what step I've missed?  If it's the same log-in, and all the CoH-Beta & Tequila, Icon I-24 files have been copied over from the PC, shouldn't I be seeing all the characters I'd created from the PC version? 

Or do I have to recreate the characters again (realizing that yes, all my saved costume files will be there) because I'm using a different device?

JadeFalcon

• Minion
« Reply #359 on: August 31, 2015, 02:38:42 PM »
You need to copy the ParagonChat folder from your PC to your laptop if you want to use the same account.

Depending on which OS you have, it will be located in one of these folders:

Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming
Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data

Just overwrite the ParagonChat folder that's already there and you should be good to go.

:)