Author Topic: Paragon Chat 0.99i Beta!  (Read 210004 times)

Gothenem

• Minion
Re: Paragon Chat 0.965 Beta!
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2015, 03:01:33 PM »
Yes, I am running Paragon chat. I managed to get in to the tutorial zone (Outbreak), and ran around for a bit. I also saw the global chatters in the chat box.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
Ok, so I created a character, logged in (and silly me, accidently went to Outbreak, as I selected yes for tutorial, oops).

I did the mapmove command to go to atlas park.

Once Atlas loaded, I got a "Cannot connect to mapserver" error, and now I can't log in anymore. When I do, it times out and I get "Cannot connect to DBserver".

Did you close the Paragon Chat window (with the logo, login and password, and launch coh button) by any chance?

That little window is the "server", so if you close it, the client that it launched will lose connectivity.

Gothenem

• Minion
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2015, 03:05:42 PM »
Did you close the Paragon Chat window (with the logo, login and password, and launch coh button) by any chance?

That little window is the "server", so if you close it, the client that it launched will lose connectivity.

No I did not.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »

I'm sure you've thought of this already, but maybe it's worth considering minimizing that to the systray once CoH is launched, then pop it back up when terminated?

HorseManDemon

• Minion
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2015, 05:08:59 PM »
You're doing something wrong. You should never get asked to go to the tutorial. Your install is trying to connect to the actual CoH servers, which no longer exist... You ARE running the Paragon Chat app, and not starting CoH directly, right?

Huh, weird. When I made my first character it asked me to do the tutorial. I clicked 'No' and it logged me into AP with the other players just fine.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:19:24 PM by HorseManDemon »

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2015, 05:13:13 PM »
You're doing something wrong. You should never get asked to go to the tutorial. Your install is trying to connect to the actual CoH servers, which no longer exist... You ARE running the Paragon Chat app, and not starting CoH directly, right?

I was offered the chance to go to the tutorial. I declined it and was put in Atlas Park. Good thing, sounds like.

It sounds like @Gothenam's problem could probably be solved by clearing the SQLite database and starting fresh. He should be able to do that by going to %APPDATA%\Paragon Chat and deleting the folders under that folder. Tequila should recreate everything, though the character(s) will be gone, of course.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2015, 05:16:05 PM »

The first time you log into a character, it does ask if you want to run the tutorial.  It should not ask again, just like in the real game.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2015, 05:18:46 PM »
Ok, so I created a character, logged in (and silly me, accidently went to Outbreak, as I selected yes for tutorial, oops).

I did the mapmove command to go to atlas park.

Once Atlas loaded, I got a "Cannot connect to mapserver" error, and now I can't log in anymore. When I do, it times out and I get "Cannot connect to DBserver".

I would recommend clearing your database and starting over, as slickriptide suggested.  Directions on how to do that, and additional information on troubleshooting some of the more common Paragon Chat issues, are in my Common Questions and Problems post, linked in my sig and here: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10977.msg186581.html#msg186581

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Chat 0.95 Beta!
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2015, 05:29:27 PM »
People can already run their own servers, see the FAQ for details.

People are already running their own servers, although the only things that can connect to mine are me, and my currently invisible bots.  I only just figured out how to correctly construct and output some of Paragon Chat's meta-channel stanzas, XMPP documentation is apparently written in a mix of Vulcan and whatever do-it-yourself furniture instructions are written in (I spent all of last night figuring out that my code was accidentally converting stanza attributes into stanza subblocks, because my sample code registered subinterfaces and didn't say why you did that except "if you need subinterfaces.")

Given I'm still learning XMPP-ese, I do not want to connect bots to the live server.  I would hate to crash the zones or turn everyone into chickens because of a typo.  But at the moment, to avoid early fragmentation I would suggest non-developers stick to chatting on the live server for now, particularly as Codewalker is still ramping up the code.  Rest assured, those who want to eventually run their own private servers will be able to do so, and in fact technically proficient players can already figure out how to do so since I did.  Eventually, I'll probably write a guide.  I'm hesitant to do so at the moment, because I don't want to contribute to fragmentation.  Those with the technical skill to need one, can almost certainly replicate my work without my help.  It took me about thirty minutes to download, install, and configure enough of Openfire to be able to log into my own server and zone into Atlas Park.  Its probably missing live server doo-dads, but a developer wouldn't need those doo-dads.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Chat 0.96 Beta!
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2015, 05:33:01 PM »
Yes, there were no upper bounds on the scale, which could have been a problem if more people started pushing the limits.

Currently it's set to reject costumes outside the limits of the character creator's sliders, just because those were easy enough to find.

I'll probably relax the limits a bit so that people can make smaller than normal characters again, once I get a chance to figure out some reasonable numbers.

When we get the private moderated RP spaces, it's likely that the validation will be disabled for those areas, so you could have an alternate giant costume that works there but not in the public zones.

Sounds like a reasonable enough comprimise. As far as the "reasonable" numbers, I think I agree with the guy who made "Long John", anything below -70 or above 150 starts getting a little out of hand.

Cookie Thief was set to -77 for the tiny costumes before things started getting wonky(I think somewhere around -100 the model inverts and flips through the ground), which might be a touch too small(I was about knee high to most standard sized characters), but only slightly, where as when I tested the numbers above like 400 or so, I started having camera issues where I can barely see who I'm standing around because the camera height auto adjusts to the player's scale.

The problem gets progressively worse the higher you go too. 1000 and 2000 were two other sizes I tried(was attempting to see if I could get "Atlas statue" size, but stopped when I realized how ridiculous it was getting...), and between being able to see well OVER the trees in Perez Park, and being completely incapable of easily seeing what's by my own feet. Plus emotes like Alakazam that spawn objects based on the character's scale (or boombox which is another one...), I felt that it could easily be used to "grief" if the wrong people found out about it... I made the mistake of trying both Boombox and Alakazam React under Atlas with the 2000.0 scale costume, realized very quickly that it was a very bad idea and couldn't abort the animations fast enough...

So anyway, that's my vote, -70 to 150 should suffice if you can somehow clamp the values to that.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2015, 05:50:05 PM »
Its probably missing live server doo-dads, but a developer wouldn't need those doo-dads.

Probably not; we really didn't do much configuration for Openfire except link it to our authentication system and set a few defaults such as the room user limit. I pre-created all of the zone rooms just to make sure random people didn't end up with ownership rights over them, but PC will happily create them on demand if they don't exist.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2015, 06:04:21 PM »
Probably not; we really didn't do much configuration for Openfire except link it to our authentication system and set a few defaults such as the room user limit. I pre-created all of the zone rooms just to make sure random people didn't end up with ownership rights over them, but PC will happily create them on demand if they don't exist.

That was very helpful.  But yeah, I was mostly talking about configuration operations that a one-user server could not possibly need, but a live server might need to function properly in the long run.  Also, I'm trying not to make it sound too easy.  ;)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2015, 07:08:40 PM »
Just wanted to ask as couldn't see if the question had been asked somewhere else, does PC automatically update or do you have download the new version?

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Paragon_Chat answers it! Wiki to the rescue - even 2.5 years later!
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2015, 07:40:45 PM »
This is probably pretty minor, but I noticed last night that when I changed zones, many of my "options" settings would revert back to the default.  (Things like setting a key for screenshots, choosing user-name colors for the chat window, little things like that.)

Once you get all the settings to your liking, save them as the defaults. There's 4 defaults: options, chat, windows, and keybinds. Once you've saved them all, after you mapmove you can load from the defaults, and your preferred settings will be restored.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Carnildo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2015, 07:52:23 PM »
Sounds like a reasonable enough comprimise. As far as the "reasonable" numbers, I think I agree with the guy who made "Long John", anything below -70 or above 150 starts getting a little out of hand.
As points of reference, "Long John" was 400 on launch day, and scaled down to 250 last night.

Bear

• Underling
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2015, 08:52:30 PM »
So. Awesome. 8)

I'm wondering for the next release if it's possible to add a space after the "[Paragon Chat]" prefix? It would help make the player names more readable. I see a "[Local]" that has such a space.
the+Bear

Richpur

• Underling
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2015, 09:40:46 PM »
  • Incoming costumes from other players are validated to ensure their scales are in range and they do not contain any FX that are not designed to be applied to a player costume and might crash your client.
This kind of sucks since we were just managing to get armour toggles showing up properly to make characters feel alive.
Note To Self : Toggles.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »
Incoming costumes from other players are validated to ensure their scales are in range and they do not contain any FX that are not designed to be applied to a player costume and might crash your client.

Oh, could you tell us DB fiddlers what the range limits are?  Seems I can change to 60 and 80 size scale, but no one else sees that size (and I get a lock icon on the cossie slot).  I wanted a larger cossie for some transformations.. :(

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2015, 10:23:15 PM »
Oh, could you tell us DB fiddlers what the range limits are?  Seems I can change to 60 and 80 size scale, but no one else sees that size (and I get a lock icon on the cossie slot).  I wanted a larger cossie for some transformations.. :(

I believe Codewalker said he looked up Icon's limits and set Paragon Chat's filters to that (Icon as in the CoH tailer, not the stand alone program).  So I guess you could push all the sliders to max and save a costume, then push all the sliders to min and save another costume, and those costume files would tell you what the min and max safe values are for each individual slider.

StalkerHunter

• Underling
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2015, 10:33:46 PM »
Hey Arcana, looked at my login stuff and it seems to be linked. I can log into Titan Network and it shows what user name to also use for paragon chat. It still tells me the XMPP can't connect and to make sure my login info is correct.Which it is. I looked over the link you gave me but I still can't find no info for this problem. Any help would be appreciated.