Author Topic: Paragon Chat FAAAQ  (Read 312479 times)

RazielDX

• Underling
Re: Paragon Chat FAAAQ
« Reply #520 on: October 16, 2015, 01:20:40 AM »
Can I run my own server?

Absolutely. We're launching with the Titan server as the default to make it easier for people to jump right in, but you can use any standards compliant XMPP server instead, public or private.

Awesome.. I know the wife will like being able to do some things with it (to relive the memories a little) -- is there or will there be some sort of "How To/Step-by-Step" list for those who don't know how to do this? (the Idiots guide for make PC work locally)?

Keep up the good work!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #521 on: October 16, 2015, 02:44:46 AM »
Awesome.. I know the wife will like being able to do some things with it (to relive the memories a little) -- is there or will there be some sort of "How To/Step-by-Step" list for those who don't know how to do this? (the Idiots guide for make PC work locally)?

Keep up the good work!

Yes. Google has a ton of how-tos on setting up XMPP servers. Recommended search term: "setting up XMPP server".

Jabber is the main/popular server program.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #522 on: October 16, 2015, 09:37:08 AM »

Keep up the good work!

I keep not having time to work on this, but everyone I know that is doing something like this is using Openfire.  It will run anywhere, including on Windows, and its easy to install.  Install it, add a user account, and point Paragon Chat to it by using a login like "Arcana@myHomeComputer" rather than the normal "Arcana@paragonchat.titan.com."  Codewalker made Paragon Chat smart enough that if it logs into an XMPP server that is missing the rooms necessary to define City of Heroes zones, it autocreates them.  You just need to make sure the account you create has those permissions (making it an admin account would work for these purposes).

There are some little tweaks here and there that can help, but that's the gist of it.  I can't find my Openfire notes (I had to temporarily set them aside to work on another project that actually pays bills) but there wasn't much to it.  Maybe an fqdn setting (for domain name).  If you want to give it a whirl try it and if you have questions PM me and I can try to help there.

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #523 on: November 04, 2015, 06:09:04 PM »
Sooooo...

*DOES* demorecording actually work with Paragon Chat? Coz I might... just might... have an idea... :)

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

EDIT: Looks like it does...

*grins*
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 06:31:07 PM by Samuraiko »
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #524 on: November 04, 2015, 08:42:51 PM »
Sooooo...

*DOES* demorecording actually work with Paragon Chat? Coz I might... just might... have an idea... :)

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

*grins*

Indeed.  I think I mentioned way back at release this was something that might grab your attention.  Although I've been too busy with work to continue working on my bot project, the technology already exists to set up your own Openfire server, log into it with multiple game clients, and also connect scriptable bots that can do whatever you can figure out how to code.  Instead of having to edit demorecord files directly, its possible to program bots to act things out and record them.

Achilles6

• Minion
« Reply #525 on: November 05, 2015, 01:14:12 AM »
Sooooo...

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

*grins*

time to start stalking your YouTube channel!!!!  ;D

Sterno90

• Underling
« Reply #526 on: November 08, 2015, 06:06:14 PM »
Okay this may have already been asked. Is there a way for me to get into Paragon Chat if I do not have the COH/COV Issue 24 on my computer? I tired downloading the game exe but it is not responding or updating? Is there any other way to get this? also how do I create a city of titian account to be able to go into paragon chat? Thank you for bringing this back. I am just sorry I never kept my game.  :( 

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #527 on: November 08, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »
Okay this may have already been asked. Is there a way for me to get into Paragon Chat if I do not have the COH/COV Issue 24 on my computer? I tired downloading the game exe but it is not responding or updating? Is there any other way to get this? also how do I create a city of titian account to be able to go into paragon chat? Thank you for bringing this back. I am just sorry I never kept my game.  :(

Non-Titan Network projects can get you your files if you no longer have them.
http://www.savecoh.com/p/download-issue-24-beta.html (Tequila for PC or Island Rum for Mac is your best bet)

City of Titans does not have anything to do with the Titan Network; they are creating a completely separate game from City of Heroes, which is the focus of this website. Use your cohtitan.com login credentials as specified in the first post to log in to Paragon Chat.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

LolaGoth

• Underling
« Reply #528 on: November 13, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »
I hope this hasn't already been asked, I did try to search... but I'm wondering if the chat portion can be accessed independently of the "game"? Being xmpp I could see this as possible, I used to play Anarchy Online and someone developed AORC (Anarchy Online Relay Chat), which was an independent stand-alone port of the chat window, was great for keeping in contact with in-game friends and goings on when you didn't have the luxury of being in game. Like at work, or on the road.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #529 on: November 13, 2015, 08:10:34 PM »
I hope this hasn't already been asked, I did try to search... but I'm wondering if the chat portion can be accessed independently of the "game"? Being xmpp I could see this as possible, I used to play Anarchy Online and someone developed AORC (Anarchy Online Relay Chat), which was an independent stand-alone port of the chat window, was great for keeping in contact with in-game friends and goings on when you didn't have the luxury of being in game. Like at work, or on the road.

Yes. You can connect to the server with any regular XMPP client.

Tolrick

• Underling
« Reply #530 on: December 04, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »
I've had Icon since near it's inception, but I've only just really given Paragon Chat a hard look... and a download.
The Tequila client is currently updating into a new non-original CoH folder as I type.   

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near as tech-savvy as I was 10 years ago, and I'm really not sure I'm doing this right.  I'm hopeful I'm doing it right, but I may dump a slew of "I'm an idiot, please help me" posts in the near future.

Meanwhile, I want to extend my heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has worked on this project, not the least of which is you Codewalker.
Like many others here, Paragon City was my home, and I an overjoyed at the idea of being able to return, even in a small way.
I've seen people on even this thread ask "What good is this if it's not the game?"   Well, how much of your enjoyment of CoH was truly tied into pixel killing?  If that was all you got from it, you're just as well off in any other game.  But I see from all around that most got much more.  It gladdens me to see the community that made CoX such an amazing game still exists, refuses to fade away.

Honestly, it gives me some hope for the spirit of humanity that even a small fraction of us still hope for better things, still strive for greatness...  even if it is pixelated and fictional.
@Tolrick; Virtue Server

Shade Girl, Eternal Youth, Lion of England, and too many others to name

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #531 on: December 04, 2015, 08:53:06 PM »
If you already had icon, why are you redownloading CoH? Just drop the Paragon Chat exe into the game folder and run it...

LolaGoth

• Underling
« Reply #532 on: December 05, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »
OK, so I've got a question, I tried to search and didn't find this, so if it has been asked, forgive me. But I'm wondering, I have PC installed on more than 1 machine, but characters are stored locally so any I create on my laptop do not show on my desktop and vice versa. So, a 2 part question: 1, which file(s) would I need to copy to get those characters on both so they don't have to be manually created, or... 2, can the directory, or whatever subfolder contains those files be set as shared via Google Drive or Dropbox and sync automatically, so any characters created on one will then be available on the other also?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #533 on: December 05, 2015, 09:13:26 PM »
1, which file(s) would I need to copy to get those characters on both so they don't have to be manually created
Copy/paste this into Windows Explorer: %APPDATA%\Paragon Chat\Database\
ParagonChat.db is the database holding all your PC information.

2, can the directory, or whatever subfolder contains those files be set as shared via Google Drive or Dropbox and sync automatically, so any characters created on one will then be available on the other also?
Yes. It can only be "open" on one computer at a time, though, otherwise the second computer will claim database corruption (the error message you get when the database is already open somewhere).

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

LolaGoth

• Underling
« Reply #534 on: December 05, 2015, 11:07:51 PM »
It can only be "open" on one computer at a time, though, otherwise the second computer will claim database corruption (the error message you get when the database is already open somewhere).

So, it would work if I'm only using to sync the file to both, but not actually trying to run the client, correct? That's helpful to know :)

LolaGoth

• Underling
« Reply #535 on: December 05, 2015, 11:29:27 PM »
One other thing, I'm guessing I know the answer... I've got to pick which computers characters I want to keep, right? There's no way to just copy the ones created on one to those created on the other? Thankfully I don't have too many yet, but I'm going to loose all the characters on whichever one gets copied to.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #536 on: December 06, 2015, 04:33:40 AM »
Well, yes, but since the only things that are actually stored are the costume and name, you can save the costumes as normal, and send the costume files to any computer you want. Remake the characters on just one compy by loading the costume files, and they'll all be in one place eventually.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

switch

• Bronze Age 2016
  • Minion
« Reply #537 on: January 07, 2016, 04:49:45 AM »
so i got a new pc and for the life of me i cant remember the pw i used as it was saved on other pc 
how do i go about getting it so i can log in again

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #538 on: January 07, 2016, 05:01:14 AM »
so i got a new pc and for the life of me i cant remember the pw i used as it was saved on other pc 
how do i go about getting it so i can log in again
It's the same password you used to log in here.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

TahquitzII

• Underling
  • Still a Useless Idiot
    • Original Titan Profile (My first account was borked.)
« Reply #539 on: January 10, 2016, 05:24:51 AM »
Been checking out Paragon Chat this week... awesome, shows a lot of work put in thus far.  If I wore hats, consider mine tipped.

Enough sucking up, on to the question.  :roll:

In Mapmenu dialog, I've been map hopping to see what I haven't see while on the live server... Did the Jump Puzzle (well, the part I didn't have to fly over to finish, anyway), Inderdimensional Space (I agree, it is very blue...), among others.  At the Ocean Research map, I've landed at the "bottom" of the ocean, stuck underwater with no way to break clipping.  Is there a clipping mode on/off command line option or button to hit to get to the player-accessible part of the map? (Like there was with Icon?)
Account inactive: was unable to login from September 2015-January 2016.