Author Topic: Paragon Chat FAAAQ  (Read 312572 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Chat FAAAQ
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2015, 07:50:08 AM »
I have a question regarding badges, will we be able to collect the explore badges in the future, I know at this point there are badges we wouldn't be able to get due to non combat at present or missions available.

Unlikely.  I'm pretty sure the awarding of badges was a mapserver feature for all kinds of badges including combat and explore badges, which we won't have, and even if the game could award them there isn't likely to be any way to record that fact initially at the client side.  Things like badges were stored in the character record on the game server systems, and retrieved by the game client upon request.  I don't think the game client stores that stuff except to cache it.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2015, 07:55:18 AM »
If someone were to, say, set up a web site that offered to give the client away for free, and made a lot of public noise about it, *and* tried to make claims like how it was legal and NCSoft couldn't do a thing about it, all but daring them to try to bring them down, that could hypothetically make them a worthy target to bring down, while simultaneously being unlikely to attract sufficient sympathy to generate significant negative attention towards NCSoft.

And if that someone lives in Argentina, an IP law black hole, they get to use the C&D order as toilet paper, and have done so before.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2015, 08:10:15 AM »
And if that someone lives in Argentina, an IP law black hole, they get to use the C&D order as toilet paper, and have done so before.

From what I've been told, Argentina's IP protections are stronger for IP connected to direct tangible property, but are otherwise "lackadaisical."  However, the weak link is probably the ISPs serving that hypothetical individual.

However, Argentina's relationship with the US court system is, shall we say strained, so any legal action might need to originate from South Korea itself.  That seems even less likely than legal action from NCWest.

Still, its hypothetically possible, regardless of the statistical likelihood of a negative outcome.  Its important that anyone contemplating any particular action do so with eyes wide open.  Do what you think is right, but don't buy the chips unless you are prepared to lose them at the table.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2015, 08:26:31 AM »
Unlikely.  I'm pretty sure the awarding of badges was a mapserver feature for all kinds of badges including combat and explore badges, which we won't have, and even if the game could award them there isn't likely to be any way to record that fact initially at the client side.  Things like badges were stored in the character record on the game server systems, and retrieved by the game client upon request.  I don't think the game client stores that stuff except to cache it.

Pity, well I'll just have to wait till the game comes back for badges.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2015, 08:41:14 AM »
Here's a question... Will the Paragon Chat client allow me to load costumes made and saved using npc parts? Or does it have to be edited in SQL (which is not something I really have the know how to do)... and will it ever be possible to allow us to use those npc pieces? Even if only a select whitelist of them?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2015, 08:44:36 AM »
Here's a question... Will the Paragon Chat client allow me to load costumes made and saved using npc parts? Or does it have to be edited in SQL (which is not something I really have the know how to do)... and will it ever be possible to allow us to use those npc pieces? Even if only a select whitelist of them?

Can you create it in Icon and have it display properly?  If so, it'll probably (but not certainly) work in Paragon Chat, provided you are not doing a /benpc.  As Codewalker previously mentioned, such costumes will not survive being edited by an Icon tailor, but will likely work with a /load_costume.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2015, 08:58:35 AM »
If someone were to, say, set up a web site that offered to give the client away for free, and made a lot of public noise about it, *and* tried to make claims like how it was legal and NCSoft couldn't do a thing about it, all but daring them to try to bring them down, that could hypothetically make them a worthy target to bring down, while simultaneously being unlikely to attract sufficient sympathy to generate significant negative attention towards NCSoft.

Ah, given that scenario, true.  And given the stupidity of some people, I wouldn't put that out of the range of possibility.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2015, 09:20:31 AM »
Can you create it in Icon and have it display properly?  If so, it'll probably (but not certainly) work in Paragon Chat, provided you are not doing a /benpc.  As Codewalker previously mentioned, such costumes will not survive being edited by an Icon tailor, but will likely work with a /load_costume.

Costumes made in icon's npc mode can be saved and loaded in npc mode without issue.

In normal mode, the costume shows up on the list and can be displayed without any issues when loading, but you can't actually complete loading the costume and a message shows up. Failed to Load: Could not find match for parts (part name), (part name), etc. Costume Creator may not have access to costume parts.

I'm guessing it will do the same in Paragon Chat since the npc parts aren't enabled. I'm just wondering if that is actually the case since Codewalker said we could edit the files to use the npc bits. And assuming we cant just load costumes made in icon's npc mode, I was wondering if maybe those npc costume bits could be made available to us in a future patch.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2015, 11:50:48 AM »
I have a question regarding badges, will we be able to collect the explore badges in the future, I know at this point there are badges we wouldn't be able to get due to non combat at present or missions available.

But the explore badges should be fun to collect if all the zones are available to explore again, so just wondered if this had been talked about in the secret meetings  ;)

Hmm, I just went to the City Info Tracker section of the Titan Network and manually added a brand new test character to one of my account databases there (no programming skills needed) then I clicked off several exploration badges and refreshed the window.  Ding!

Now the question I have is if the badge markers could be placed back on the maps in their proper location so they could be "tagged" by those searching for them, and manually added to their public databases?

Of course, this ability would make the data base suspect, but then again none of the badges are verified by the system, so it would be an honor system (which would probably disqualify at least 95% of the villains in the game... :P

Push come to shove you could always make your own listing of badge locations with the data from Paragon Wiki, and check em off in CIT as you tagged the location on whatever server you're RPing in.  Of course, any TP to location xyz would be cheating...

I'm not a Badge Wh... Hunter myself, but I have a RL friend who would happily flit around scarfing up badges for hours on end.  Honey Badger, do your Thing!

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2015, 12:18:28 PM »
Hmm, I just went to the City Info Tracker section of the Titan Network and manually added a brand new test character to one of my account databases there (no programming skills needed) then I clicked off several exploration badges and refreshed the window.  Ding!

Now the question I have is if the badge markers could be placed back on the maps in their proper location so they could be "tagged" by those searching for them, and manually added to their public databases?

Of course, this ability would make the data base suspect, but then again none of the badges are verified by the system, so it would be an honor system (which would probably disqualify at least 95% of the villains in the game... :P

Push come to shove you could always make your own listing of badge locations with the data from Paragon Wiki, and check em off in CIT as you tagged the location on whatever server you're RPing in.  Of course, any TP to location xyz would be cheating...

I'm not a Badge Wh... Hunter myself, but I have a RL friend who would happily flit around scarfing up badges for hours on end.  Honey Badger, do your Thing!

Did this myself when taking breaks from teaming with either friends or PUGs, or just waiting to see some chat on globals regarding TFs LFM  :D

Was hoping they'd be visible in your character information once collected as have read that you can give yourself a Bio and info which can be viewed by others.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2015, 12:39:55 PM »
Was hoping they'd be visible in your character information once collected as have read that you can give yourself a Bio and info which can be viewed by others.

For the last few years the game was running, I didn't pay any attention to a character's level, but I always looked at their badge data, to see what Vet Status their account had.  Except for the rare person who was borrowing an account to try out the game, it was usually a more representative indicator of their level of general game skills.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2015, 01:07:47 PM »

The badge markers are in their locations, they can be seen if you're close (they have a quite short draw distance). The invisible volumes used to trigger exploration badges are present as well. However, the name on the volume does not match the name of the badge and there's no known correlation between them.

Most likely said correlation was in the Requires field of the badge, however that field is flagged ServerOnly and is blank in badges.bin. Presumably so that players couldn't peek and find out how to get badges that don't have an explicit hint string.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2015, 01:14:44 PM »
Will both Paragon City and Rogue Isles zones be available, for those of us with Villains as well as heroes?

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2015, 01:24:10 PM »
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2015, 01:48:13 PM »
Will both Paragon City and Rogue Isles zones be available, for those of us with Villains as well as heroes?

I've seen this one several times, so I just added it to the first post as well.

Which zones will be available at launch?

All Paragon City, Rogue Isles, and Praetorian city zones. All Paragon City and Rogue Isles hazard zones. All Praetorian underground zones.

Trial zones such as the Abandoned Sewer Network, The Hive, The Abyss, RWZ, and the Shadow Shard.

All PVP zones.

Miscellaneous zones: Pocket D, Paragon Dance Party, Breakout, Outbreak, Destroyed Galaxy City Tutorial, Precinct Five

Bonus zones: Echo: Dark Astoria, Echo: Faultline (original Faultline), Echo: Rikti Crash Site

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2015, 02:18:10 PM »
The badge markers are in their locations, they can be seen if you're close (they have a quite short draw distance).

Thank you again, Codewalker for your clarification on the issue.  I'm sure this is going to make many Badge Hunters very, very happy.  The badge accounting process many be just a manual effect (at least for now) with no actual effects in the game (which we aren't back to playing yet anyhow) but I plan on using CIT to validate any Accolades (and their effects) for those I personally trust to role play a session with.

And once more, thank you very much for Icon, which has allowed me to re-visit my home away from home when the urge hits.

Sugoi

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2015, 02:27:30 PM »
For the last few years the game was running, I didn't pay any attention to a character's level, but I always looked at their badge data, to see what Vet Status their account had.  Except for the rare person who was borrowing an account to try out the game, it was usually a more representative indicator of their level of general game skills.

That's not even remotely a good judge. I, for example, only bothered to badge on ONE of my many toons, and even then, I wasn't particularly interested in badges...  If they turned up, they turned up; I didn't go out of my way to get them.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2015, 02:30:28 PM »
Thank you again, Codewalker for your clarification on the issue.  I'm sure this is going to make many Badge Hunters very, very happy.  The badge accounting process many be just a manual effect (at least for now) with no actual effects in the game (which we aren't back to playing yet anyhow) but I plan on using CIT to validate any Accolades (and their effects) for those I personally trust to role play a session with.

Sugoi

He didn't say he was going to add badging... He was explaining that the badge info was server side, so likely he -can't- add badging unless he builds the badge location DB himself and adds it in to his app...

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2015, 02:30:52 PM »
I'm looking forward to some pen and paper role playing here and I can roll dice in real life lol. No rush on the emote vs other things to do.

There also a third party dice roller programs on the net.  I use this one myself when I need a dice roll calculation.  http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2015, 02:34:31 PM »
He didn't say he was going to add badging... He was explaining that the badge info was server side, so likely he -can't- add badging unless he builds the badge location DB himself and adds it in to his app...

Pretty sure the post you're quoting is saying that the badge tracking would have to be done by hand, but they're happy that the explore badges (the little markers) are visible on the map so you can tell you're standing on one.