Author Topic: Paragon Chat FAAAQ  (Read 312513 times)

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Chat FAAAQ
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 02:58:45 PM »
The return of bases has been mentioned. If we have demorecords of our bases, does this mean we'll be able to eventually import our work?

What about Supergroups and Coalitions? Will we be able to establish an SG?

Auroxis

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 02:58:54 PM »
Will Collision detection exist?

Will multi-client connections be supported? For example if I want to RP as three werewolves attacking a character, will that be a possibility using the same Titan account?

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 03:13:45 PM »
No HTTP server, but if you create a torrent, I'm happy to seed.

Sync from the creators of bittorrent, I suggest this highly for this operation.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Nitekilla

• Minion
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 03:25:13 PM »
Will there be the original CoH music playing in the background ?

Jules

• Underling
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 03:26:54 PM »
Just... drooool. Seriously. This is an amazing piece of work.

My inner superhero thanks you.
Former DJ wanting to pretend at being a superhero once more.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 03:28:57 PM »
Sync from the creators of bittorrent, I suggest this highly for this operation.

You're nuts, right?  Anything those buggers write will be choked full of spyware, like they did to uTorrent.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 03:34:54 PM »

There was a torrent in SaveCOH.com but after Tequila was released, it died with no seeds. People in general prefer the patchers, it seems.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 03:40:04 PM »
There was a torrent in SaveCOH.com but after Tequila was released, it died with no seeds. People in general prefer the patchers, it seems.

Well, in that case... Have you guys considered donations to help with chat server costs?  If people ponied up a bit of cash (I know I would), it could help cover costs for things, including file hosting...

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 04:03:02 PM »
The return of bases has been mentioned. If we have demorecords of our bases, does this mean we'll be able to eventually import our work?

Yes, if and when we do base stuff, import from demorecord is both a must have feature and relatively easy to do.

What about Supergroups and Coalitions? Will we be able to establish an SG?

Not at release. It is on the roadmap, though. Supergroups require more server-side persistence than we're currently doing, but I have some ideas for how to implement it as a private MUC room and using the XMPP publish-subscribe extension to store persistent data in it.

Will Collision detection exist?

Yes, full collision detection between players works. Currently there can sometimes be a little bit of jitter since you have multiple clients and no authoritative server to resolve them, but we hope to improve and refine player movement incrementally with each release.

Will multi-client connections be supported? For example if I want to RP as three werewolves attacking a character, will that be a possibility using the same Titan account?

XMPP inherently supports multiple logins on the same account. It would take a beefy machine to handle it, but there's nothing preventing you from running 3 copies of Paragon Chat and loading up 3 different characters at once.

Will there be the original CoH music playing in the background ?

It's whatever is in Issue 24. We're not doing any client mods at this time, though you could drop one in yourself to override the music if you want.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 04:08:24 PM »
Awesome.

Now, legalities. How legal is this? I know it has been brought up in other threads, but is there a chance NC can drop a C&D? Might this affect the ongoing efforts to purchase the IP?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 04:11:58 PM »
Awesome.

Now, legalities. How legal is this? I know it has been brought up in other threads, but is there a chance NC can drop a C&D? Might this affect the ongoing efforts to purchase the IP?

It was answered in those other threads, too...

It's not impossible they couldn't try something so stupid, but there's no legal grounding at ALL to close an XMPP chat server. At best, they could force them to not distribute the i24 client files.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 04:23:31 PM »

Same here. I have i24 but would be happy to seed a torrent.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 04:26:48 PM »
Should have read the whole thread first!

Yes, I would also contribute towards server costs.

I used to contribute monthly here, but my card got stolen/lost/whatever and I never set it back up. I'll re institute that if would help. I do it for wikipedia and I'd do it for you guys as well.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Nightsjester

• Minion
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 04:30:09 PM »
It was answered in those other threads, too...

It's not impossible they couldn't try something so stupid, but there's no legal grounding at ALL to close an XMPP chat server. At best, they could force them to not distribute the i24 client files.
The main issue is the distribution of game files but im fairly certain this project is staying sanitized from that legal fun-zone. The worst thing NC can really do outside of that is some legal trolling of individual players who acquired the client by torrenting it.

Auroxis

• Boss
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2015, 04:42:46 PM »
What about transforming into a mob-type avatar like the halloween temp powers let us? Would really help with RP'ing.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2015, 04:48:42 PM »
The main issue is the distribution of game files but im fairly certain this project is staying sanitized from that legal fun-zone. The worst thing NC can really do outside of that is some legal trolling of individual players who acquired the client by torrenting it.

All they'd get out of me is a signed photo of my bare backside. ;)

Nightsjester

• Minion
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »
All they'd get out of me is a signed photo of my bare backside. ;)
:P yep, its not like I didn't buy the game 4+ times just to have all the different box arts and at times maintained 3+subs. I think I have earned my backup copy.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2015, 05:02:08 PM »
Question: Will there be a user agreement of some sort?

Related Question: Will you have (and attempt to enforce) any sort of community standards, or is it going to be wild-west-ish? Will you/other server operators be able to silence/ban/etc people who are the most serious problems? (Harassment, threats, etc.)

And another question: What will be your privacy policy, and will you be storing/archiving chat on the servers you run? Should players who're going to run independent servers think about this too, or is it generally not an issue for private chat servers?

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2015, 05:20:39 PM »
Amber, those questions are answered in the MMOGames interview. http://www.mmogames.com/gamearticles/interview-team-bringing-back-city-heroes/

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »