Author Topic: DC Online Frustration  (Read 3712 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
DC Online Frustration
« on: June 21, 2015, 01:46:21 AM »
And now I'm remembering why I quit playing DC Universe Online.

I've really been missing playing a staff melee toon, and since DC Online HAS staff melee, I started playing one of those toons I had in that game. (I have a lifetime sub to it.)
I had a blast getting him to 30 in just a few days. Now I'm ready to quit playing the game again because I need to earn Marks of Victory to get decent gear, and there doesn't
seem to be a way for a solo player to do so in anything like a reasonable period of time.  (Which really makes me mad because all the content I HAVEN'T seen in that game is
gated behind Combat Rating that I have not been able to achieve.).

For instance I currently have a combat rating of 32. I get a zone mission on the JLA satellite to defeat Brainiac's forces in Gotham that are  Level 56. I can actually handle the baddies I have to defeat to achieve my mission objective one on one, but the area's filled with dozens of little Bounders that swarm me and kill me in nothing flat.

Asking on the public channel for information-- not help; just information-- is getting me nowhere.

DC Online is a really pretty game and has some neat travel powers. (Especially super speed.)

But now I just don't even want to touch it ... again.

Exxar

• Lieutenant
Re: DC Online Frustration
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »
Yeah, the classic solo to party-only bait and switch which happens at max level of the vast majority of MMOs. Bleh.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 01:02:12 AM »
Having dealt with the woes of nothing to do at 30 but grind Marks solo through solo challenges that earn me like 1/50th the marks I'll need to get my Combat Rating up, I definitely hear you.

I made it as high as 52ish before every one of my friends gave up on the game and moved back to WoW or random FPS games on their consoles.

Last time I played, I finally earned enough marks to buy 1 (ONE) peice of gear, and my CR went from 59 to... 59... Talk about a colossal waste of time for no improvement... I pretty much just said screw it at that point...

It's sad really. The game is pretty fun up until 30, but after that... The end game is just so horribly put together...

I hate to say it, because it seems repetitive ror people to bring up CoH constantly on these forums on topics not about CoH (*shrug* It makes sense as this is technically a CoH message board, but it's still repetitive...), but honestly City of Heroes had better designed end game content even back when we were all complaining that there was no end game content....

Ironbull

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 12:43:52 PM »
I hear you.  It's grind grind grind and grind some more to even get anywhere since the new Mark conversion.  Best advice is don't buy weapons or chest pieces.  Do your solo content every day.  Try to get as many armor drops as you can before buying any.  It takes, time but it pays off.  If I can be any help, my global is iornbull2007.  usually I'm on in the evenings, around 9:00est.  I have a few heroes around CR70, and a villian or 2 around 100. 

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 10:26:01 PM »
and suddenly I'm thankful for my chronic altitis.
I'll probably never hit lvl 30 ;D
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Cyclops08

• Underling
  • Bacon is the candy of meat!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 05:00:46 PM »
I was there on opening day. I lasted only 4 weeks. Biggest disappointment I ever played.
City of Titans. Be there.

crayehal

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 05:09:44 AM »
I tried to like it.  I did my best to deal with the controls which made me dizzy.  The quests were full of DC lore, which I liked.  What broke me was that half my powers weren't accessible because you can only map some of them to the power tray.  I felt that really crippled my powers.
I'm playing swtor now and even tho I have 30 clickable attacks, I feel more in control of my character.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 04:42:36 PM »
I haven't logged in since around the time the company changed hands, didn't they make it much harder for solo players to earn marks recently?

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 10:22:46 PM »
I quit when I got to combat rating 80 and my full set of ACE chemicals gear. My character felt just a weak with or without the gear and the mobs take too long to kill and like mentioned above you can't reach combat rating in a reasonable amount of time unless you keep paying station dollars to reset weekly and daily lockouts...

The game had potential and its still fun but lacks in alot of areas.

syberghost

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 11:43:05 PM »
What you have to do is remember back to the order in which you did these missions originally, and go through them several times each in that order. The lower ones are more like CL 40, which you can easily solo at 32.

You'll quickly unlock some higher rep with factions, which will let you spend 1 mark instead of 20 to get a decent piece of gear. That'll shoot you up around CL 40, which makes harder stuff possible, etc.

Yes, it's a typical endgame gear grind, but it's not as hard if you take on the lower stuff instead of trying the CL 56 things.

I just hit 39 a few minutes ago, because I figured out to quit banging my face on the 56s and take on the 40s.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 09:56:37 PM »
I tried to like it.  I did my best to deal with the controls which made me dizzy.  The quests were full of DC lore, which I liked.  What broke me was that half my powers weren't accessible because you can only map some of them to the power tray.  I felt that really crippled my powers.
I'm playing swtor now and even tho I have 30 clickable attacks, I feel more in control of my character.

You use your weapons more than powers because of the way they did the energy system in this game. You'll run out of power in no time even with a controller. No spamming of powers here; you only use them for burst damage, gaining the buffs they cause, crowd control or a tank clicky.

Lord Nightmare

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 02:26:29 AM »
You use your weapons more than powers because of the way they did the energy system in this game. You'll run out of power in no time even with a controller. No spamming of powers here; you only use them for burst damage, gaining the buffs they cause, crowd control or a tank clicky.

Pretty much this. Most sets have the few "essential" powers and leave the rest open to freedom. Example is that Nightmare is Sorcery and so really only needs the Weapon buff (every one has this, it adds extra damage to all your weapon attacks based on your Might stat), the 35% health finisher (again, all have this) and the massive AoE DoT/HoT spell (depends on if you're in damage or healer role), leaving me free to pick flavor powers like Soul Barrage, Boon of Souls, and whatever heal I want to use (I use the AoE HoT that starts with an AoE knockdown).

The key is keeping your weapon buff and any DoTs up at all times.