Author Topic: Coming Soon  (Read 210016 times)

Nightsjester

• Minion
Re: Coming Soon
« Reply #280 on: June 24, 2015, 09:44:54 PM »
Worrying about combat cheating at this time is ridiculously too soon.  There's about two hundred things that need to be taken care of before we are fortunate to count that as a problem.
Its not something to ~worry~ about. There are obviously things of higher priority right now but the cheating thing was just an example of what I was getting at.What I am primarily curious about is if there will be a central collection of character data that can be referenced for all kinds of things including expanding the work that Codewalker and friends are doing.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #281 on: June 24, 2015, 09:51:54 PM »
Its not something to ~worry~ about. There are obviously things of higher priority right now but the cheating thing was just an example of what I was getting at because I personally place a lot of value in the integrity of a game. That said I am primarily curious about is if there will be a central collection of character data that can be referenced for all kinds of things including expanding the work that Codewalker and friends are doing.

There will be, just as soon as they have anything to store.  Right now, the current architecture doesn't have anything to store.  Or to be more precise, there's nothing that needs to be stored centrally.

Hypothetically speaking they could make a central repository of Sentinel files, but the only thing they could do with those is hand them back to you to put into your local clients (vis-a-vis costumes).  So that would be mostly pointless for now.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #282 on: June 24, 2015, 09:52:30 PM »
This would how ever be frick'n awesome to run Mutants and Mastermind games with this character creator and ACTUAL premade maps! (imagine the GM being real size Hamidon or Rularuu shouting "IGNORE ME")

Would it be bad if I advertised for this in the Tabletop RPG page of Facebook? Aka: Looking for GM to create a campaign with Paragon City Maps for Mutants and Masterminds/Icon/BASH!/etc play.
i am intrigued by this proposal.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Nightsjester

• Minion
« Reply #283 on: June 24, 2015, 10:02:58 PM »
There will be, just as soon as they have anything to store.  Right now, the current architecture doesn't have anything to store.  Or to be more precise, there's nothing that needs to be stored centrally.

Hypothetically speaking they could make a central repository of Sentinel files, but the only thing they could do with those is hand them back to you to put into your local clients (vis-a-vis costumes).  So that would be mostly pointless for now.

Well that's pretty much what I assumed. I didn't even consider Sentinel playing into this, though that's not super surprising as I didn't know about it until well after shutdown.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #284 on: June 24, 2015, 10:07:36 PM »
i am intrigued by this proposal.
Me too, but I wouldn't go advertising just yet. Remember what 'soon' means in CoX speak. ;)

Plus in my 'testing the waters' thread where I was seeing how much interest there'd be in doing a tabletop-y something, a few folks are talking that they may be able to give some actual functionality to powers and such in the game... which I think would be even cooler if they can pull it off!

Lyc~

pewlagon

• Boss
« Reply #285 on: June 24, 2015, 10:44:46 PM »
Hmmm.... seems a bunch of people are mind readers and thinking a lot like me. I do have something like this planned, though. I'll post here once we have the Faq and I need to recruit.

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #286 on: June 24, 2015, 10:59:13 PM »
Hmmm.... seems a bunch of people are mind readers and thinking a lot like me. I do have something like this planned, though. I'll post here once we have the Faq and I need to recruit.

OMG the anticipation for the FAQ is killing me lol. Gonna need a rez after I explode :)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #287 on: June 24, 2015, 11:39:46 PM »

In any case, sending inputs is the first thing you learn about client-server gaming.  Its primary purpose isn't to reduce bandwidth, its to make sure you can validate what the client is telling you to do (in fact, you should probably periodically send positional information from server to client and/or vice versa anyway as a double check to confirm you're in sync with each other).  It is prediction, and the specifics of how you implement it to get the very best apparent performance combined with the least amount of synchronization problems, that is the real magic.  And everyone does this a little (or a lot) differently.

yes I read the whole post, some very nice stuff in it, believe it or not I just answered someone on blender artists about this very thing a few days back and now I feel a bit foolish for having answered that way. I didn't explain enough.

so, anyways yeah, you caught me I didn't want to say it was an anti cheating control as well. And as for prediction I actually thought there must be a way to get around without it and without too much lag, I'm sure there is such a way and am still actively thinking about it.

I do have some prediction code in the working though, but that's for another purpose I will not disclose at this time.

The basic way I'm thinking of doing it is to have the client store numbered keypresses (in 24 ms increments, or adding the time if it was lower) (and "go" with them) until it receives a confirmation from the server (of the same message type, no location info at all unless D/C and reconnect or sending initial starting location on a new map) after the server follows that instruction.

give the number store like 7 memory slots each capable of storing 15 keypresses this way and you've got over 100 key press stores, that means over 24 seconds of buffer space. yes it means the client will technically be faster than the server in some conditions but the player will never see it. This also supplies 24 seconds of pure movement before "lost connection from server" and all motion stop is triggered, yet the server's location of that player is the location you are redirected to after such a break.

well at least discussing it helps me write it out.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #288 on: June 24, 2015, 11:43:43 PM »
OMG the anticipation for the FAQ is killing me lol. Gonna need a rez after I explode :)

I got two blues and a yellow....

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #289 on: June 25, 2015, 01:10:22 AM »
The basic way I'm thinking of doing it is to have the client store numbered keypresses (in 24 ms increments, or adding the time if it was lower) (and "go" with them) until it receives a confirmation from the server (of the same message type, no location info at all unless D/C and reconnect or sending initial starting location on a new map) after the server follows that instruction.

give the number store like 7 memory slots each capable of storing 15 keypresses this way and you've got over 100 key press stores, that means over 24 seconds of buffer space.

24ms * 105 = 2520ms = 2.52 seconds.

Takinalis

• Boss
« Reply #290 on: June 25, 2015, 02:44:50 AM »
I'm a technician, so normally I communicate very effectively. In this case, I'll make a exception
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Valkyrie Blade - Virtue Server

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #291 on: June 25, 2015, 02:54:25 AM »
I'm a technician, so normally I communicate very effectively.

You misspelled "but."

Takinalis

• Boss
« Reply #292 on: June 25, 2015, 03:05:58 AM »
But!

:) ;) :D ;D 8) :roll:

I can't wait!
I'm so stoked.

I'm just blown away. I know it's nothing more than comic chat in 3D at this point, and that's AWESOME! I mean, I had a ton of fun playing MUD's in the early 90's, and in AOL Arts and Entertainment in the late 90's, I'm sure we'll figure something out!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #293 on: June 25, 2015, 03:10:25 AM »
I'm just blown away. I know it's nothing more than comic chat in 3D at this point, and that's AWESOME! I mean, I had a ton of fun playing MUD's in the early 90's, and in AOL Arts and Entertainment in the late 90's, I'm sure we'll figure something out!

I've actually been thinking about MUDs a lot these past few days.  MUDs worked in a way that might be relevant to CityofUnannouncedName, at least in a stopgappy way.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #294 on: June 25, 2015, 03:12:23 AM »
I think City of MUD has a pretty nice ring to it.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Takinalis

• Boss
« Reply #295 on: June 25, 2015, 03:14:33 AM »
City of MUD

I hope it sticks during the "stop gap" phase  ;D

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #296 on: June 25, 2015, 04:03:26 AM »
AOL Arts and Entertainment in the late 90's
That's a name I haven't read in a ridiculously long time! Aaahhh, Rhydin...
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #297 on: June 25, 2015, 08:00:31 AM »
That's a name I haven't read in a ridiculously long time!

Its a name that will outlast humanity, when aliens are reading it off of CDs they dig up a billion years from now.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #298 on: June 25, 2015, 08:29:17 AM »
I mean specifically the A&E roleplaying. :) I still hear AOL once in a while, usually as the butt of a joke.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #299 on: June 25, 2015, 08:46:12 AM »
Me too, but I wouldn't go advertising just yet. Remember what 'soon' means in CoX speak. ;)

Plus in my 'testing the waters' thread where I was seeing how much interest there'd be in doing a tabletop-y something, a few folks are talking that they may be able to give some actual functionality to powers and such in the game... which I think would be even cooler if they can pull it off!

Lyc~

I did ask when/if it would be smart to advertise. And I'd need someone better at iSoon(tm)con than me to plan enemy NPC spawn points, NPC contacts and how to warp everyone from map to building to map. I tried switching map points in Icon and kept getting stuck in Hospitals...
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!