Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake  (Read 2951 times)

ricodah

• Boss
Final Fantasy VII Remake
« on: June 16, 2015, 04:14:24 PM »
Announced at E3!  FF6 and FF7 were the games that really got me into the rpg genre.  I enjoyed them so much and still occasionally play FF6 on the ipad.

Teaser video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8phcu_7y10

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 06:15:56 PM »
I watched this last night. I'm not a FF fan at all. I've played bit of the early games, seen the movies, and played some FFXIV. So for me this trailer really doesn't mean a lot. I guess if I were a fan it would make more sense. All I really got out of it was that Cloud's (I guess that's who that is) sword is still stupid. But, I understand why some fans are ecstatic over it, so good for them.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 07:42:04 PM »
they didn't really show any gameplay. i wonder if it'll be an actual remake with the combat shinied up or if it'll just have redone cutscenes the way they remade the nes/snes ones for ps1 and gba. looks amazing though.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 09:44:47 PM »
I watched this last night. I'm not a FF fan at all. I've played bit of the early games, seen the movies, and played some FFXIV. So for me this trailer really doesn't mean a lot. I guess if I were a fan it would make more sense. All I really got out of it was that Cloud's (I guess that's who that is) sword is still stupid. But, I understand why some fans are ecstatic over it, so good for them.

I played the game through 3 times so that probably qualifies me as being a fan. The teaser looks like the very start of FF7.  Barret (Character with the gatling gun arm) and Cloud going to hijack the train to invade the Shinra Corporation power plant to sabotage the reactor.  It was a memorable scene, fast paced for it's time but probably slow and mind numbing compared to today's standards.

they didn't really show any gameplay. i wonder if it'll be an actual remake with the combat shinied up or if it'll just have redone cutscenes the way they remade the nes/snes ones for ps1 and gba. looks amazing though.

I think it's a total remake since it's release will be on the PS4.  I wasn't planning to buy any of the newer consoles but will when this comes out.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 10:49:25 PM »
It's only ps4 exclusive for a limited time. just wait for pc version. I'll probably not only wait for steam version but for it to be heavily discounted. not paying big bucks again for a game i've played through twice, though i definitely got my initial 60 buck investment back in spades from that game.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 11:03:08 PM »
While I doubt that Sony or Square could be colossally stupid enough to slap new graphics on top of a nearly 20 year old game engine... let's face it, dumber things have happened in the gaming industry. I'm curious how they intend to handle it though... there's now literally an entire generation of gamers who have grown up with the legacy of this game, but never really played through the original, so they could get away with simply recoding the old levels and script with a new graphic engine, skinning the old text box interface as a sort of retro-chic... on the other hand, they could also knock it out of the park by adding in new story elements, combat systems, and areas that that now-ancient platform simply couldn't float.

Done right it could be something amazing. Done wrong, it will be something worthy of epic ridicule.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 12:00:41 AM »
A new combat system might be a good way to ruin it if they made it anything like the 13s.

Also really hoping the Honeybee Inn doesn't get any major graphical upgrades, cause, y'know.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 01:36:07 AM »
on the other hand, they could also knock it out of the park by adding in new story elements, combat systems, and areas that that now-ancient platform simply couldn't float.
Do you understand the bloody murder Squeenix would see if they tried to change VII? VII's fans are... rabid. It is still regularly featured in the world of geeks, commonly professed to be one of, if not *the* best RPGs of all time. No one in charge of Squeenix would remain alive without going into permanent hiding.

If they tried to put into VII the junk that's going into new FF games these days, even *I* would have a shitfit over it. I would like to play a game, not be railroaded through 30 hours of cutscenes.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 01:45:03 AM »
I believe it's a complete remake, modern engine, modern graphics, full nostalgia go go go!

I finally got around to playing FF7 to completion a year or two ago, it's an alright game, but I'm done getting new FF games after the crap that was 13 (I tried to like it, but that game is just such a slog).

The upcoming Deus Ex game, on the other hand, I am full on hyped for.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 11:12:15 AM »
Do you understand the bloody murder Squeenix would see if they tried to change VII? VII's fans are... rabid. It is still regularly featured in the world of geeks, commonly professed to be one of, if not *the* best RPGs of all time. No one in charge of Squeenix would remain alive without going into permanent hiding.

If they tried to put into VII the junk that's going into new FF games these days, even *I* would have a shitfit over it. I would like to play a game, not be railroaded through 30 hours of cutscenes.

If for whatever reason they did end up putting out something that utterly pisses off all the fans of the original game, they might very well be forced into fixing it and rereleasing it. After all, with Final Fantasy 14 as a recent example, it wouldn't be unheard of for them to try and get a do-over with a pile of Chocobo droppings that gets released to as much anger and hate as a ruined FF7 remake would bring...

On the other hand though, if you're one of those lucky people who has the PC version of Final Fantasy, you can always play that with some of the graphics mods that are floating about out there now. You know, in case some of you don't want to wait 2-3 years for the official remake to actually be released... Not as fancy as an official modern remake would be, but what do you want for free?