Author Topic: Freeform build help  (Read 13399 times)

hurple

• Elite Boss
Freeform build help
« on: June 13, 2015, 05:47:04 PM »
Want to build a blaster/tank based around Light-based (or laser-like) powers, like DCs "The Ray"

This will be my first free-form so any/all help (explanations) will be much appreciated.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Freeform build help
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 04:31:09 AM »
Are you talking about CO? In which case I can move it to the appropriate subforum. If you're talking about another game, you'll have to mention that bit.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 05:32:43 AM »
Oh, I thought I did start this in the CO forum...  :-\ :o :-\

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »
I'm not familiar with that DC character. At a glance at him/them and based on what you mentioned three possibilities come to mind depending on what you want to do and how you like to play. Power Armor beams, Force, and ranged Telekinesis maybe with some Telepathy could all probably work as a basis to build from. PA is generally more about maintained/sustained attacks. Force is very burst heavy. TK/TP can be more of a mixed bag depending on what powers you mix in. Whether or not you're tanky really depends on things like your stats and your passive(s). There are lots of easily googled builds to get inspiration from to give you some ideas.

I hope that helps a little.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 06:09:56 PM »
Want to build a blaster/tank based around Light-based (or laser-like) powers, like DCs "The Ray"

This will be my first free-form so any/all help (explanations) will be much appreciated.
In co freeform, has the most power, this is because you have access to every power selection a player can get. The only help I can offer is choice the powers you want to play and what is fun for you. One recommendation would be stay away from powers that can be used to crowd control they are not really necessary.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 08:57:23 PM »
This is how you make an android *bleep boop deep doop* ~spins Kirk~ *na na!*

Oi... been watching too much Star Trek season 1..

You weren't building androids.. It was FF's..

These are the tools I use:

The old wiki                             - http://web.archive.org/web/20131120001804/http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/
                                              - http://web.archive.org/web/20130825235946/http://champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Power_Sets
Together with The PowerHouse  - http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html
Spec Trees detailed                   - http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=145568
Buffs and Debuffs detailed         -  http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=136746
I used to peek at other builds    -  http://champions-online.proboards.com/thread/564

Then when I finally get a new guy rolled up I have to have some keybinds:
http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=81117

The PeWEe links are currently telling me:

"Important: Over the course of the week we're going to be migrating over our forums to Vanilla. This process will involve transitioning over our data from all of our old forums. We'll be periodically rolling out each of the forums into Vanilla once the data is moved over and properly sorted. If the forums aren't there for your specific game, it's because the transfer hasn't been completed yet. We appreciate your patience as we go through the upgrade process.

I really need to back some of this stuff up.. Hopefully those links will be back soon. They are really detailed and helpful.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 12:17:31 AM »
Unfortunately PWE just killed the old forums this week. There's no way to access the forum threads you cite via those URLs.

They SHOULD be archiving those old threads, or so they said. But (shrug)

At least for now I think your best bet for Champions knowledge online will NOT be coming from the official boards.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 12:50:57 AM »
There's still some good active links in there. Powerhouse + the old wiki is about all I use now but I do reference those other links sometimes. We'll see what happens in the shuffle. Those links went away when ARC was introduced, too.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 01:08:48 AM »
As for "light-based or laser" style attacks/powers, there are several powers from the Force and Power Armor sets that are good.

In particular:

From the Force Set:
Force Bolts(Energy Builder)
Force Blast (Tap for quick damage, charge for a more powerful shot)
Personal Force Field (Effectively sets up a "Double HP" bar. You'll take damage to the shield first and it has to be completely gone before you take regular HP damage - VERY handy to add to a "Tank" set.)

From Power Armor:
Power Bolts (Energy Builder)
Power Gauntlet (A good tap or build-up attack, similar to Force Blast above. DON'T take both of them. Choose one or the other.)
Concussor Beam (Basically think of Iron Man Repulsors here - they fire from the palms by default)
Plasma Beam (This is an AOE attack in a narrow field. You don't need to target anything at all for this. Just activate the power, hold down the button and "Sweep" it across foes for as long as the attack lasts or your endurance allows. Very powerful.)
Chest Beam (Again - think "Iron Man" and his "Uni-beam". But I've seen it used on non-power armor concepts. Most amusingly, I've heard of it being used on a female character with a "cleavage window" in her costume. The jokes just write themselves after that... :D )
Invulnerability (This will basically let you all but ignore minion level attacks - particularly if set up in tandem with Personal Force Field above. High power villains and stuff that inherently out-levels you is still dangerous, but this power will still negate a hefty chunk of incoming damage)

In addition to those powers, Power Armor also has about a half-dozen laser sword style attacks, including an energy builder if you want to build a character entirely as an energy melee type.

There are a handful of other powers from other sets that may also be useful. But keep in mind that you need to build toward whatever strength is in your primary characteristics. Power Armor ranged powers synergize quite well with characters who take Intelligence as their primary stat. Force and Telekinesis work better with Ego. (Though Force will work reasonably well with almost any primary stat).

Also important - look at the Energy Unlock category of powers. There's one in most power trees. They don't slot into your power bars and there are no ranks or advantages for them. They return energy to your character based on different criteria.

For example: On my Power Armor character, I actually took the Energy Unlock from the Gadgeteer Set - "Molecular Self-Assembly". With this power, each time a power becomes available for use (comes off its recharge cycle) it grants an Energy over Time buff. Additional powers coming off of recharge extend the duration of the buff. And the amount of Energy returned is based off of the Intelligence stat and is also affected by the recovery stat.

Consider that most of the attack powers I chose have a recharge and about half have a maintain (like Chain Gun or Concussor Beam) and that Intelligence is my primary stat and Recovery one of my secondaries... Well - as long as I juggle the activation times right, I can sometimes go an entire extended fight without ever touching my energy builder. That blue bar just keeps getting down to about the halfway mark and then bounces right back up to full!

Some Energy Unlocks give you a buff whenever you land a critical hit. In that case, you'd likely want to make your primary either Dex or Ego so that you're landing crits most of the time.

Some give a buff based on maintains and give you the buff as long as you maintain a power at least halfway through it's maintain bar. Those aren't dependent on stats, but make sure you have a number of powers you can maintain and alternate their cooldown times with. (This is an option that almost never works for Melee characters)

Choose the Energy Unlock that works best for you.

Though you can layer defenses, you should also choose a good block. Force, Power Armor, and Telekinesis all have good blocks that look either like light or light-based constructs. Power Armor in particular has a good-looking "Hard Light Hex Shield" look. Also - it has the "Laser Knight" advantage available - which will activate the shield at a small scale when you're attacking! So that's another layer of defense you can add.

Hope some of these tips help out.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 02:11:32 PM »
Wow, Atlantea, that really helps out.  Still trying to learn my way around building a character in CO. 

I got my guy, Sunspot, yeah crappy name I know, up to 10 just playing around with him.  Now, I think I'll go to the Powerhouse and rebuild him working to the concept.  I had cheated a bit, and was using lightning attacks, just to see how they played. 

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 05:30:08 PM »
Nothing wrong with Lightning Attacks other than perception of whether they feel right to the concept or not.

Also - you might want to take a look at several of the ATs in the character build screens. There's a toggle that lets you look at the entire power progression up to lvl 40.

My recommendation? Study how the power progression goes on ATs that are close to your concept. Take note of when they pick up their block powers, attacks and defenses.

In fact - you might want to take screenshots of the AT power progression window on each AT you think might help you with ideas toward building your freeform and alt-tab from whatever image viewing program you use to look at them to the game and back to check against what powers are available as they come up when you're leveling.

Here's some examples of ATs I think would be relevant to your build. Check em out to see what I'm talking about.
http://i.imgur.com/LZyOEkz.png
http://i.imgur.com/MwmOdH8.png
http://i.imgur.com/gSp0srz.png
http://i.imgur.com/Y2d49wT.png

Don't follow the AT progression to the letter of course, since your character is freeform and gets powers and abilities on a slightly different schedule. But you may notice patterns that make sense.

Another point to keep in mind - For the first 10-15 levels, you can easily get by with only 2-3 attack powers. (In fact I've gotten up to that level on a couple of characters with only TWO attack powers in a couple of cases)

Get your defenses, stats, talents, primary and secondary stat boosts and equipment in order in preference over attacks if possible. The less dying you do, the less frustrating things are.

Speaking of spec trees - I REALLY wish the links were working. But they're not. So the best thing I can tell you is this - study the spec trees CLOSELY. The first tier will be based on your primary stat and is pretty straightforward. Look for tweaks that work to give you a clear advantage.

The 2nd and 3rd Tier of the Spec trees are where things get interesting. There are blocks of the spec tree that are CLEARLY meant for melee, others for tankers, others for pet wielders etc. Others are more subtle and give boosts that help more than one type of build.

Generally speaking though - there are Offensive and Defensive oriented Spec blocks that work for Melee, Ranged, Control, Pets, Tankers, and Support (Heals). There's too many for me to go over in total without making a fully dedicated set of guide posts for. Just look for the right boosts and pick the ones that suit the best.

Also - Do not double-up on the same type of Spec block in Tier 2 and 3! For example - don't take a defensive set in block 2 and then another type of defensive set AGAIN in block 3!

Here's another general tip I will give you that seems to work across the board in regards to the spec tree in regards to boosting Offense and Defense - look for boosts in one Tier that will STACK with boosts from another tier and magnify them.

Some basic Offense or Defense boosts occur in the first tier based on your Primary and secondary stats. This is my main Tanker character (an homage to Gipsy Danger from Pacific Rim). Note that he's taken 2/3 ticks of "Juggernaut" which boosts Defense based on his Constitution.

Next - look for Spec boosts that directly boost the Defense or Offense that you get from your Gear. Here, Joe has taken 3/3 ticks of "Fortified Gear" from the 2nd tier Spec tree. I chose Warden for my Tier 2 because it gives the best boosts to Durability for Tanker types.

Moving up to Tier 3 and I chose Vindicator, which is a good all-around offensive melee set of boosts. Here I want to point out the boost "Modified Gear", which gives a similar straight up boost to Offense that the earlier Tier ability gave to Defense. As before I've taken the maximum amount available - 2/2 in this case.

Okay - here's where the synergy comes in, and it's pretty sweet. Backtracking back down to the Warden set on Tier 2, Dynamo Joe has taken the maximum amount (3/3) of "The Best Defense". Which SERIOUSLY boosts his Offense.

Now - back up to the Tier 3 Vindicator set, and I've ticked off 2/2 of "Aggressive Stance". Which boosts Defense by 20% of the Offense Value.

Lastly at lvl 40, I took Strength Mastery, which in addition to a boost to Strength (and thus damage) also boosts Offense AGAIN.

The main synergy occurs because of "The Best Defense" and "Aggressive Stance". Those two Spec boosts cause the Offense and Defense numbers to feed on each other and boost each other up. You can see the results in the Offense and Defense stats above. Without taking those items, I think the Offense and Defense numbers would be at least 1/3 less. Maybe as much as 1/2.

The example above is for a Tanker. but there are spec blocks that are appropriate for ranged characters to take that have those types of boosts and synergies as well.

Hope that helps!

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 01:43:34 AM »
In the PowerHouse (link above) you can choose any AT in the game and it will lay out the build for you. When you find one that has powers you want, choose it, then switch the "Archtype" to Freeform. Now you have 2 more power choice slots and can add/remove SS's and Trees and Powers and Specializations from the AT build to more fit the direction you want to go.

Hit the Wiki archive to get details on powers and advantages you want to know more about.

I do this all the time to get ideas for a powerset I'm interested in.

Then, agonize for hours on end over your choices (this is easier to do when All links are working!).

Make a costume....

Pick out a name...

*boing* newb.

Level up some. (edit)

Retcon...

Rinse.

Repeat.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 01:50:09 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
Some Faves: