Author Topic: Windows wha,,,?  (Read 6545 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Windows wha,,,?
« on: June 01, 2015, 01:28:52 PM »
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10

Umm what happened to 9?

"Free"?

When I first saw the 'Get Windows 10' update icon in Windows I thought I'd been hacked.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: Windows wha,,,?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 02:12:44 PM »
Windows 10 is what was originally meant to be Windows 9. They skipped a version, rumour has it that the way some software was checking if the OS is Windows 95 / 98 (testing if the OS' name & version string starts with "Windows 9" and ignoring whatever came after that) may have been related.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 02:18:58 PM »
That makes sense. It's very y2kish but it makes sense.

They're really giving it away? Is 8 *that* bad...  lol
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 02:50:10 PM »
Yes, 8 is that unusable and bad.  It was made for mobile devices first and ported onto the PC, and had no start menu.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 03:24:03 PM »
Debate is still raging in my family about whether to try the 10 upgrade or just stick with 7.  Thankfully, we avoided 8.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 04:12:50 PM »
An understandable debate and healthy of you guys to do so :).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 05:48:02 PM »
I have Windows 8 on my laptop, and while I'll admit the Metro (tablet style menu) took a while to get use to in place of a start menu, I spend most of my time in Desktop mode and using Task Bar or desktop shortcuts for everything anyways, so I hardly have many issues with it.

The only small complaint is that sometimes looking for specific programs that I don't have shortcuts for that I know are in the Metro sometimes require's that I use the search tool bar because I can't find the icon in the massive jumble of icons, but the search bar works pretty well at finding exactly what I'm looking for, so it's not a big issue.

Either way, it's not really as bad as some folks make it out to be for general use.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 06:31:11 PM »
Never tried 8 but i rather like 8.1. I reserved my 10 copy but am going to wait-and-see mode as the taskbar icon that doesn't go away after you've done the tasks isn't exactly a stellar advertisement for it.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 06:34:32 PM »
This link has a description of the upgrade prompts that Windows 7 & Windows 8 users are seeing:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/31/microsoft-starts-prompting-windows-7-and-windows-8-users-to-reserve-their-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Keep in mind that Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 (not to mention XP), will keep working after 29 Jul 2015.

This is choice that no one should rush into.  The upgrade is free for a year.  Let others go first and take the hits.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 06:36:16 PM »
I was talking to a Geek Squad member in Best Buy, while waiting to get my Windows Vista computer back, about how frustrating it is when I have to get a new computer with a new version of Windows, and I have to either get used to whatever changes Microsoft made for that new version, or find ways to revert the changes back to what I'm familiar with. He told me, "Then you're going to HATE Windows 8."

When I got my Win7 laptop, I went online trying to find information on work-arounds to make the Win7 start menu like Vista's (I couldn't find the list of recently-opened documents in Win7's), to replace Win7's Wordpad with Vista's (Win7's wouldn't do some things that I'm accustomed to in Wordpad, and I loathe that "ribbon" interface), and to add the "copy to folder" and "move to folder" functions back to the right-click menu. And I DID find them.

The fact is that there are people who come up with ways to make each new Windows version act more like a previous, more-familiar version, and there are people, like me, who depend on them. To me, that says that Microsoft doesn't listen to its customer base. But then, they're effectively a monopoly, so they don't need to, so they can continue to make money while forcing on us whatever glitzy change excites their techies.

"Not all change is growth [or progress], just as not all movement is forward." --Ellen Glasgow

[Edited for spelling.]

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:19:13 PM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 06:40:02 PM »
I just realized - shouldn't this be under "General Discussion"?
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 07:58:30 PM »
I just realized - shouldn't this be under "General Discussion"?

The thread should be moved and I'm sure a moderator will get around to it eventually.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 05:00:02 AM »
Having been testing it since January, I can say that 10 is a decent OS. it includes a hybrid start menu, does away with the blasted start screen for most users, returns apps to the desktop, making them work more like traditional programs, and includes solitaire.  It does, however have some nagging directX flaws because of the radically new DirectX12, so several people I have talked too have had issues running older games, particularly legacy directx 9 games. Sadly, it also engages in mobile-phone like tracking and data collection via the bundled Cortana Search Assistant. IE, just lik Siri and Google Voice, Cortana is constantly compiling data on you to plug into IE Edge  Browser and Bing.

if you want to beta test it, i is available as a free ISO or direct download from Microsoft here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 07:00:56 AM »
Sadly, it also engages in mobile-phone like tracking and data collection via the bundled Cortana Search Assistant. IE, just lik Siri and Google Voice, Cortana is constantly compiling data on you to plug into IE Edge  Browser and Bing.
Good thing I use Firefox and Google. Compiling data to plug into nothing. lol
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 01:46:56 PM »
The fact is that there are people who come up with ways to make each new Windows version act more like a previous, more-familiar version, and there are people, like me, who depend on them. To me, that says that Microsoft doesn't listen to its customer base. But then, they're effectively a monopoly, so they don't need to, so they can continue to make money while forcing on us whatever glitzy change excites their techies.

http://www.classicshell.net/

It's the only thing that makes Windows 8.1 / Server 2012 bearable to use, by letting you completely get rid of the metro interface, which really sucks to try to use through a slow remote desktop connection.

I may or may not use it on 10 depending on how customizable the new start menu is.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 02:07:15 PM »
http://www.classicshell.net/

It's the only thing that makes Windows 8.1 / Server 2012 bearable to use, by letting you completely get rid of the metro interface, which really sucks to try to use through a slow remote desktop connection.

I may or may not use it on 10 depending on how customizable the new start menu is.

I use that to "fix" some nags I have about Windows 7 too (I want my "All Programs" and Windows Explorer to work like XP rather than 7)

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 02:08:14 PM »
Having been testing it since January, I can say that 10 is a decent OS. it includes a hybrid start menu, does away with the blasted start screen for most users, returns apps to the desktop, making them work more like traditional programs, and includes solitaire.  It does, however have some nagging directX flaws because of the radically new DirectX12, so several people I have talked too have had issues running older games, particularly legacy directx 9 games. Sadly, it also engages in mobile-phone like tracking and data collection via the bundled Cortana Search Assistant. IE, just lik Siri and Google Voice, Cortana is constantly compiling data on you to plug into IE Edge  Browser and Bing.

if you want to beta test it, i is available as a free ISO or direct download from Microsoft here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

Ugh. I hope there's a way to turn that data collection off.  Otherwise, that's a big "NO" from me as to whether I upgrade.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »
I don't have any issues with Windows 8, but I haven't used the Start menu since Windows XP.  If I want to launch, for example, Microsoft Excel, I just hit the Windows button, start typing "Excel", and hit enter.  As long as that works, I couldn't care less if the Start whatever were just a blank screen with a text field in the middle.  Once I launch the app, the Start whatever is irrelevant.

As for the desktop, I use pinned icons on the task bar to do about 95% of task management.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 05:39:54 PM »
Good thing I use Firefox and Google. Compiling data to plug into nothing. lol
you do realize that unless you log into a google account and specifically tell it not to track you, it is doing so anyway, right? regardless of what browser you use.

Ugh. I hope there's a way to turn that data collection off.  Otherwise, that's a big "NO" from me as to whether I upgrade.
It is turned on by default, and is used to search both your local computer (as seen in vista, 7, and 8/8.1) and the internet via Bing and your default browser. You can of course, modify these settings to Only Local Search or no search at all. Sadly, such cloud based computing is becoming the norm. Apple OSX is increasingly tied to itunes and iOS, Android is pushing into the laptop space with incrasing success, and of course chromebooks. even linux has some degree of cloud search tie-in, particularly on anything based on ubuntu.

(the colors are different because I have my desktop image and windows colors set to change every minute)

it also does everything it can to push you into microsoft's cloud storage by converting your documents, pictures, music, etc folders into cloud folders stored to any attached outlook,msn, or hotmail account you have. :( That has been the most vexing to me, because I use a combination of local storage and Google Drive, and every test build upgrade keeps forcing my settings back to microsoft's cloud instead, making me go adjust my settings again.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:55:57 PM by Eoraptor »
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 02:09:22 AM »
you do realize that unless you log into a google account and specifically tell it not to track you, it is doing so anyway, right? regardless of what browser you use.
Why, yes, yes I do realize. Thank you for the condescension, that is exactly what I needed today! Not only do I realize that and have no-tracking options set everywhere, in any browser I use, any website I visit...but I have cookies set to ask before setting, third-party scripts and content to ask before loading, Ghostery and NoScript on their highest paranoid settings, and AdBlockPro going full-bore. Golly, it's like I don't want to be tracked or something. :)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal