Author Topic: DCU: Searching for my fellow Heroes  (Read 3045 times)

Corona89

• Minion
DCU: Searching for my fellow Heroes
« on: May 20, 2015, 05:58:25 PM »
Hey everybody.

I played CoX for a long time and, like all of us here, I went looking for another superhero MMO when Paragon went dark  :'(

I've been playing DCU on and off since it released but the social interaction just doesn't hold a candle to our old home.  So I'm here looking for any groups from Paragon who are now saving the day in Metropolis and Gotham

I'm a level 30 Nature DPS on the PVP server but I don't have much top end gear so I wouldn't mind rerolling to play with you guys on the PVE side.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: DCU: Searching for my fellow Heroes
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 02:36:19 AM »
I play DCU but very rarely. Same with Champions. It keeps me interested for a little while but I can't play the 5 or 6 hours a day I used to play COH.

Its just not the same.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 02:44:57 AM »
Champions has a City of Heroes chat channel.
There's usually an arguement there, or something to just into.

Corona89

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:28:29 AM »
I tried Champions but something about the art style and the writing just bothers me.  It's way too "Silver Age of Comics".  Big ups for the diversity of powers but whenever I play it I feel like I'm in a bad CoX knock off.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 07:20:27 AM »
I tried Champions but something about the art style and the writing just bothers me.  It's way too "Silver Age of Comics".  Big ups for the diversity of powers but whenever I play it I feel like I'm in a bad CoX knock off.

That's exactly how I felt about it when I gave it a try, not been back since.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 12:47:55 PM »
Champions Online was created by the same company that made CoH, and has CoH's original head designer as its current head designer.  It probably uses a variation of the same basic engine.  (Though I'm sure the two engines have diverged wildly since)  They even draw from the same batch of stock sound effects for many of the powers and enemies: the aliens in the tutorial make the same noises as Devouring Earth bosses did; one of the Ice powers makes the same sound as Hurricane from Storm Summoning.

And that's the problem - it feels too much like CoH in spots, and then in other places it feels nothing like CoH (and not in a good way).  The combination makes it come across as a half-hearted parody of CoH rather than a true successor.

Haven't tried DCUO. I was put off by a review of it (by a former CoH player) who said the game basically turned into a months-long gear grind when you hit the level cap before you can actually enter the endgame content.  I don't like gear grinds. (Nor do I like that there's no defensive powersets that aren't elemental.  If you want to reduce damage, you take Fire, Ice, or Earth.  No Invulnerability or Willpower equivalents)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 03:20:09 PM »
I am playing DCUO with some friends that used to be part of my CoH Super Group.  We are trying hard to stick with it, but honestly it does not take much of a real-life event to keep someone from showing up, which usually results in the rest of us folding too.  Its very attractive visually, and the tie-in to the DC characters is kind of cool, but I am just not feeling it.  Perhaps I am spoiled, but it really is just a less than stellar substitute for CoH while I wait for it to come back.  I guarantee the day that happens, DCUO is left in the dust with but a vague recollection of ever having played.
What was no more, is now reborn!

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 05:40:04 PM »
Same here...a few of us former Paragon dwellers attempted to maintain a DCU group....did not last.  It's not a bad game, it's just not a game that makes you wanna keep playing it.

Corona89

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 05:20:58 PM »
Well then maybe you guys can help me in another way.

The specific game doesn't really matter to me as long as I can experience it with the community.  So what's everybody playing these days?

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 05:43:02 PM »
I play DCUO, and while not as often as any offline game currently, I do play it periodically.  Message me here in the forums and I'll happily tell ya who to keep an eye out for.  Be nice if that game had a global chat handle system but alas, it only goes by character names.  But I am a legendary member of the game.  It's one way I have of spiting CO.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »
I found DCUO to be much more entertaining on PS3. Blasphemy, I know, but it's the truth.

Ironbull

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 12:45:46 PM »
I'm ususally on around 9:00pm est.  global is iornbull2007  Villian is Victor Khane, Hero is Iornbull and a few alts here and there.