Author Topic: Why NDA?  (Read 2433 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Why NDA?
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:55:55 PM »
completely unrelated to CoX, I'm just wondering why any negotiations would be under NDA (as there's been a lot of speculations here mentioning NDA)? especially when both parties engaged own the IP prospects being discussed.

In most companies I've worked for they couldn't be farther from an NDA; they actively engage in public opinion demographic research hinting to all sorts of things they wish to accomplish.

It's just, other than obvious stuff like an in-development title that has yet to register Intellectual properties, I just don't see why it's not a good idea to begin flaming the internet with updates of progress.

can someone explain this to me?
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
Re: Why NDA?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »
It's simple.
The National Dairy Association doesn't want details of the negotiations becoming public knowledge before such a time as it deems appropriate.  In this way, the NDA hopes to control and spin the outcome.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 09:19:24 PM »
It's simple.
The National Dairy Association doesn't want details of the negotiations becoming public knowledge before such a time as it deems appropriate.  In this way, the NDA hopes to control and spin the outcome.

but if they do that wont the milk go sour? or do we get heavy cream?

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:39:08 PM »
Alright... I've tried typing a response to this thread three times, and all three times my iPad froze and ate my post... I give up....

To summarize what I was going to say, it's to protect both sides from percieved promises that aren't included in whatever final deal is reached...

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 08:14:46 AM »
Alright... I've tried typing a response to this thread three times, and all three times my iPad froze and ate my post... I give up....

To summarize what I was going to say, it's to protect both sides from percieved promises that aren't included in whatever final deal is reached...

ah I see, to stop public anguish over what could have been. thanks for the info.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 02:23:27 PM »
I might add that is helps keep good- or bad- intentioned third-parties from disrupting a deal.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 02:54:34 PM »
It lets the companies control the deal not outside interests.

If for instance NCSoft said it will cost another $3 million for us to provide all of the former accounts and characters due to the filtering and background checking we would have to do to ensure privacy and security are not violated. The team making the deal might say - no thanks - too much money.

If all that was out in the open then the players would be screaming - it's just $3 million and I can have back all of my flying monkies come on new future overlords don't go cheap buy this NOW! On the other side players would be saying - $3 million? I have a friend with a program he wrote himself that can do that for $39.99. Why are you charging so much NCSoft?

What it does is keep the discussions with its positives and negatives between the 2 parties.

When you want to bring a couple million to the table then you might get a chance to have a say as well.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 07:57:47 PM »
It lets the companies control the deal not outside interests.

If for instance NCSoft said it will cost another $3 million for us to provide all of the former accounts and characters due to the filtering and background checking we would have to do to ensure privacy and security are not violated. The team making the deal might say - no thanks - too much money.

If all that was out in the open then the players would be screaming - it's just $3 million and I can have back all of my flying monkies come on new future overlords don't go cheap buy this NOW! On the other side players would be saying - $3 million? I have a friend with a program he wrote himself that can do that for $39.99. Why are you charging so much NCSoft?

What it does is keep the discussions with its positives and negatives between the 2 parties.

When you want to bring a couple million to the table then you might get a chance to have a say as well.

first of all I just wanted to bold that "if" because I know people have gone wild off of several things you've said, if even for comedic reasons. don't want any misconceptions lol.

next, thanks, this does indeed help, very informative. Now I can see how the public knowing everything can create arguments or strain on the negotiators.

I might add that is helps keep good- or bad- intentioned third-parties from disrupting a deal.

the bad intentioned I can understand but there should be some allowance for the good intentioned. though technically I suppose there is such an allowance because they can add new parties onto an existing NDA if useful, can't they?