Author Topic: Weapons on pc/npcs  (Read 2685 times)

OminousVoice

• Underling
Weapons on pc/npcs
« on: April 05, 2015, 07:26:15 PM »
Quick question; is there any way to have weapons drawn/displayed on the pc/npcs, i.e. war mace, titan weapons etc?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Weapons on pc/npcs
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 04:08:51 AM »
There are MOVs (not emotes, but specific demo-edit/scripting flags) that force you to draw your weapon if you've got it set in your costume data, but I have no idea how that works.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 04:10:15 AM »
Don't know of a way to add weapons to the NPCs but you can save a costume, edit the file and add a weapons fx to one of the effects lines. When you load that costume the weapon will be in that character's hand.

See this thread:
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9216.0.html

wyldhunt's second post has instructions on how to add fx to a costume.

Towards the bottom of the page brandoncomputer provides a list of weapon fx that you can add to a costume with this method.

OminousVoice

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 11:06:37 AM »
Thanks guys, much appreciated.  :)

OminousVoice

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 08:49:46 PM »
Update:
I'm trying to get the warmace to show up. I've tried every /mov that has 'mace' in it (I'm going from this list) and nothing will draw the characters weapon. I've even tried adding extra instances of the weapon data in the costume file, still nothing. Adding npc weapons to the costume file works fine (perma drawn), but player ones are a no-show.

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 11:15:08 PM »
Have you tried adding WEAPONS/MACE_1.FX to the costume file? (maybe that's the wrong mace?)

I also noticed that brandoncomputer's list included POWERS/CLAWS/CLAWS.FX so maybe the classic war mace is under POWERS/WARMACE/WARMACE.FX ???

OminousVoice

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:50:40 PM »
I did some digging. The npc weapons are little more than just model pieces that can be attached to npcs and pc (via costume file editing). The custom weapons used by player powersets require a seqbits command in order to render. Arcana expalins it in detail...

Given the way you're attacking the problem, that might be true, but I think that's a symptom not the cause.  The problem is mode bits.

When the servers sent the command to execute an attack, there was a multi-step process they went through and one step was sending the sequence bits to execute the animation for the attack, which is what we do when we execute a MOV, or alternatively if you're using the dev version when we send sequence bits, like so: /seqbits COMBAT WEAPON DUAL ATTACK FIERCE (that's the Dual Blade tier 9).  But *before* that the server used to put us into combat mode, which players may remember used to also change our stance to the more aggressive standing emote - like if you were melee and tried to activate an attack but your target was in range.  Your weapons would draw (if you had weapons) and you'd enter that battle stance, but of course no actual attack animation would play.  That's the server putting you into combat mode prior to the attack (which can't happen because nothing's in range).  Those mode bits were different for different kinds of attacks, and for the weapon sets those bits also instruct the client to draw the weapons (visual draw them, not like weapon draw).

Try this: /seqbits COMBAT WEAPON DUAL DUALHAND on a player character that has dual blades.  For an instant, the player starts going into the aggressive stance (COMBAT) and also draws the dual blades for one frame (WEAPON DUAL DUALHAND).  The problem is that I can set those bits with that command, but then they expire one frame later and with it their effects go away also.  The server used to take care of that by setting those bits on and keeping them on, but Icon doesn't have that capability.  Its not necessary for the animation bits because all you need to do is set them once and the animation sequencers take over and perform the sequence of animation steps to execute that command - the bits don't need to stay set.

If you do this: /seqbits COMBAT WEAPON DUAL ATTACK FIERCE and while the animation is playing you do this: /seqbits COMBAT WEAPON DUAL DUALHAND if you're quick enough you just might catch a flash of the blades being drawn for one frame.  But that's why the weapons don't work.  Its because Icon doesn't have a way to toggle those bits on and keep them on for the duration of the attack.

So unless a new version of Icon, or another external program is able to replicate sustained seqbit commands, we won't be able to see pc custom weapons drawn for more than a frame or two.

Shidan

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 12:26:22 AM »
Wish I'd seen this thread earlier. Assuming you were trying to do what I think you were trying to do, I've been doing it for months. Just using simple movs.

Picture in spoiler.
Spoiler for Hidden:

Here's a list of the movs I've been using for each weapon type.
Bow: COSTUME_BOW_READY
Claws: COSTUME_CLAWS_ZOOMED
Katana: COSTUME_KATANA_READY
Mace/Sword/Axe: COSTUME_RIGHTHAND_WEAPON_READY
Pistols: COSTUME_DUALPISTOL_ZOOMED
Rifles: COSTUME_RIFLE_READY
Titan/Staff: COSTUME_TITAN_WEAPON_READY

There are also several poses and the like that use custom weapons. Usually listed under "ENC", "ENCOUNTER", and "COSTUME" in the list of movs on the paragonwiki.
There is also some overlap, such as pistols and claws being fairly compatible with their movs.