Author Topic: Battle of the Powersets #4  (Read 7482 times)

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
Battle of the Powersets #4
« on: April 02, 2015, 05:32:15 AM »
Ninjas vs Robotics
Go

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
Re: Battle of the Powersets #4
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 06:54:39 AM »
Never had a Mastermind, but did look at them on Mids sometimes to see what could be done, found that I liked the look of Robotics aligned with either Dark or Time for the best combination.

So would go Robotics on this one.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 07:46:56 AM »
EDIT: I'm a 'tard and read that wrong.

Still going bots.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 07:54:45 AM by Castegyre »

Brighellac

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 10:06:38 AM »
Thugs!

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 12:52:08 PM »
Ninjas simply because Robotics MMs were a Dime a Dozen and nobody but me ever paired it with the best powerset ever for Robots.

Trick Arrow.

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 12:56:48 PM »
I tried both of these to the mid 20s back when CoV first came out, long enough to get the highest tier pets in each, and found them to be incredibly boring. Back at the time I assumed that this was me just not being able to get into masterminds at all, but later I loved both Thugs and Demons. Honestly I feel like they could have used at least a visual revamp to give them a bit more going on.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 12:58:28 PM »
Thugs!

Pity not one of the options  ;)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 11:59:27 PM »
 Robots hand down.. Why.. Group Fly son.. Flying Robots !!!!!

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 12:05:01 AM »
Ninjas simply because Robotics MMs were a Dime a Dozen and nobody but me ever paired it with the best powerset ever for Robots.

Trick Arrow.
Agreed, everyone had robots or demons, thugs and ninja got very little spawn love by comparison
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 03:31:47 AM »
you want to talk NO love.. talk Mercs.. broken and NEVER got a fix.. I had a Merc/TA... and I had a Thugs/Traps...

The ninjas to me were kinda... meh...

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 05:08:46 AM »
I love MMs, they're my favorite AT. I had every MM pet set except ninja. I don't really PL and ninja was easily the most painful set for me to work with leveling up for several reasons. I tried a few times with different secondaries and just didn't like them. From my perspective the only thing they had going for them was theme.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 05:24:18 AM »
Robotics.  Few reasons, tier 1 pets does not have many attacks resulting with them using their only AoE attack more often.  Tier 2 Protector Bot shields makes Robotics more survivable with different secondaries.  Assault Bot is better than the Oni in pretty much every way... Except while teamed and running through a cave.  Ugh.

On the other hand, paired with the right secondary, Ninjas are awesome.  Also has my second favorite tier 2 Mastermind pets next to Enforcers.

you want to talk NO love.. talk Mercs.. broken and NEVER got a fix.. I had a Merc/TA... and I had a Thugs/Traps...

Mercs was not as bad as what everyone says, the only thing I did not like was Serum.

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 03:34:55 PM »
Robots.
My main villain was a robot that led ninjas. Now I want to make a ninja that leads robots.

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 08:05:09 PM »
For me this one is no contest.  I tried Ninjas and couldn't get into it.  Bots on the other hand...pure awesome.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 03:17:24 AM »
\

Mercs was not as bad as what everyone says, the only thing I did not like was Serum.

Serum was bad.. Also what was bad was that the Second Tier Pets needed their control abilities on shorter timers.. them being stealthy was kind of pointless as they got nothing out of it. And their Snipes were underwhelming.. It would have been nice if the Stealth Snipe acted like some kind of stalker attack on a long timer..

The Medic had a death wish.. always ran into melee.. and never ever seemed to be interested in healing ME.. his employer..

The Commando was pretty good..

And Robots are still better..

You know whats fun..

Bots/FF when you and your Bots are softcapped to everything.. you take the provoke pool.. Play in Bodyguard mode constantly.. turn on your Force Bubble and taunt everything to attack YOU.. and then watch your Bots take everything down because they cant hit you or reach you..

Good times..
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 03:22:26 AM by HEATSTROKE »

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 04:51:54 AM »
Serum was bad.. Also what was bad was that the Second Tier Pets needed their control abilities on shorter timers.. them being stealthy was kind of pointless as they got nothing out of it. And their Snipes were underwhelming.. It would have been nice if the Stealth Snipe acted like some kind of stalker attack on a long timer..

The Medic had a death wish.. always ran into melee.. and never ever seemed to be interested in healing ME.. his employer..

You know whats fun..

Bots/FF when you and your Bots are softcapped to everything.. you take the provoke pool.. Play in Bodyguard mode constantly.. turn on your Force Bubble and taunt everything to attack YOU.. and then watch your Bots take everything down because they cant hit you or reach you..

Good times..

The Medic was fixed, I'm guessing between i15- i18.  There was a lull when I stopped playing Mercs but started again when incarnate material was introduced at i19.  Noticed right away the Medic was not suicidal and just hung out in the back, shooting and healing whomever was close to him. 

The tier 2 pets are the worse of all MM primaries (Not sure about Beast Mastery), but they can get the job done.  Grave Knights, Enforcers, Jounins, Demons and Protector Bots were all pretty awesome, the Spec Ops just pale in comparison. 

Thanks for the tip!  I'm going to make a Bots/FF MM when the game comes back now.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 12:39:21 PM »
Mercs were pretty poor with normal slotting, but they really benefited from the Achilles Heel IO proc. By putting into the first two tiers, you now have 5 sources of Achilles Heel debuff, which really increased their damage.

Granted, having to use a proc to give the set some specialty that it's actually good at, is poor design that just happened to luck into a decent combination almost by mistake. The base powers for the minions were lackluster... no real high damage, no huge -Regen like the bots, no great control and self-heals like Necros, etc.

Oh, wait... they did have one minor thing. You could set up the Spec Ops, stealthed (or with a Smoke Grenade) to go next to a Boss, and then trigger them to attack. If they were in melee range, their first attack would be a butt-smash with their rifles, which stacked up to a Boss-level stun to start every fight. But they didn't really have enough control ability to make it worth slotting for control even with Hami-Os, so the stuns were pretty short duration... 5 seconds or so.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 01:32:07 AM »
Mercs were pretty poor with normal slotting, but they really benefited from the Achilles Heel IO proc. By putting into the first two tiers, you now have 5 sources of Achilles Heel debuff, which really increased their damage.

Granted, having to use a proc to give the set some specialty that it's actually good at, is poor design that just happened to luck into a decent combination almost by mistake. The base powers for the minions were lackluster... no real high damage, no huge -Regen like the bots, no great control and self-heals like Necros, etc.

Had that.. and they still werent on par with my Bots or Thugs..

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 03:35:27 PM »
Had that.. and they still werent on par with my Bots or Thugs..

Both Bots and Thugs rely on the interesting squared-AoE effect of their incendiary attacks where they do more damage to each target as there are more targets close together. But that doesn't work as well without a means of keeping targets together. So they really vary more in efficiency depending on your secondary than the other sets, and also on whether you take an epic power as an AoE Immobilize.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 01:17:32 PM »

You know whats fun..

Good times..

I am convinced that the Merc Spec Ops should have had a full revamp and get turned into "Mini" Defenders, have all those special ammos debuff foes, like instead of all the snipe, stealth, Webnade and the like, just have 4 attacks, one debuffs defense, one resistance, one accuracy and one damage. Sorta like the Toxic Gernade that the Wolf Spiders got, but not nearly as psychotically powerful.