Author Topic: Cheap comics collections?  (Read 1738 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Cheap comics collections?
« on: March 20, 2015, 05:55:50 AM »
In 1979, Pocket Books published collections of the early Amazing Spider-Man comic books, compiled into mass-market paperbacks and costing about $2 each. (Volume 1 was issues 1-6, volume 2 was issues 7-13, etc.) I still have volumes 2 & 3. To my knowledge, these are not collector's items (despite what they say on the covers), but rather, they made the classic Spidey stories readily available to non-collector comics fans to enjoy. Does anyone know where other such compilations can be found, that aren't meant, or priced, for collectors? Or, at least, who might have published such books?
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
Re: Cheap comics collections?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 07:21:52 AM »
Those Marvel paperbacks were great. I bought all that I could find.

Spiderman Volumes 1-3, Hulk 1-2, Fantastic Four 1, Doctor Strange 1, and Conan 1-2. The early issues of those comics by Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby, Roy Thomas, and Barry Windsor-Smith held a lot of charm.

The paperback in the lower right corner is a collection of short text stories by different authors about Marvel Heroes: Avengers by Jim Shooter, Daredevil by Kyle Christopher, X-Men by Mary Jo Duffy, and Hulk by Len Wein.

Shooter's Avengers story is great. Here's an excerpt:

Thor strode majestically into the room, and at once dominated it. He stood six feet six but seemed taller. Powerfully built, he was physical perfection itself, on a far grander scale than Captain America. If the star-spangled Avenger was first among men, Thor was first among gods. Long golden hair flowed out from under his winged helmet, falling with artless grace around a handsome subtly sculpted face that evinced strength, nobility, pride, supreme confidence, gentleness, and compassion. His countenance would be dark and terrible in rage, the epitomy of joy in laughter. His eyes, brilliant blue, far outshone even Hawkeye's. He wore a deep-blue tunic that left his mighty arms bare, except for crimson wristbands. Cross-strapped leather boots rose almost to his knees, and snug deep-blue breeches covered his muscular legs. A full, flowing, crimson cape billowed behind him.

In his right hand he bore his war hammer, called Mjolnir. Though it looked ponderously heavy, Thor carried it easily, gripping it in the middle of its thick, two-foot, leather-bound handle. A stout leather thong hung from the end of the handle. The head of the hammer was rectangular, with beveled edges on the striking surfaces. It was made of a dull, gray ordinary-looking metal that might have been steel. In fact, however, it was Uru, a metal unknown on Earth. Far from being the simple weapon it appeared to be, the hammer was an instrument of awesome power, for it was laden with enchantment. Thrown, it struck with unimaginable force, each time returning unerringly to its master's hand. To possess it was to gain command over the elements, to rule the fury of the storm. And, since the day that dwarfish smiths forged it in a furnace roaring with white-hot mystic fire, none could possess it, none could lift it save he who had first lifted it, he who alone was worthy of its power--Thor, the Mighty, Prince of Asgard, son of Odin.

Thor, the Avenger.

Though the others had often seen his virtually limitless might demonstrated, though all had heard from his own lips the truth, not one truly believed that Thor had walked the Earth when the race of Man was young. Not one truly believed he was an immortal god, or even privately acknowledged the existence of a superior, mystic, godlike race from an extra-dimensional Golden Realm called Asgard. Yet, none could truly deny that his mere presence was awesome.

"How came this to be, that Ultron hath taken captive the Scarlet Witch?" Thor asked.

Ooh, I wish you all could read the entire story--it's so good!  :D

The book was published in 1979, back when Shooter wrote the monthly Avengers comic, illustrated by George Perez. *sigh* A high point in the Avengers series.

A few years ago, when I first heard Marvel Pictures was making an Avengers movie, I remembered Shooter's text story and thought, "They should use it for the basis of the movie."

And now, little more than a month away, Avengers 2 will open in the U.S. pitting the team against Ultron--woo hoo! What a great time to be alive!

Todo

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 07:40:45 AM »
Well I assume you're anti-torrent or you wouldn't be asking this since that's by far the best way to get all the old issues of stuff (the chronological spider-man and x-men torrents are especially great, all-encompassing and close to up to date. Everything else you have to acquire piecemeal though there's also an avengers one that's currently up to the mid-80s.). They do have those Marvel Essentials books that compile around 30-40 books at a time together. Unfortunately those are in black and white, cheaply printed so they fall apart halfway through the first read, and aren't as complete as one might hope. There are the (no longer available except second-hand on ebay or amazon) "complete" dvdroms of most of the major titles, though those don't include crossovers so you get incomplete stories. They'll also cost you a pretty penny and only go to 2006. There's also the marvel digital subscription which will let you read reasonably full runs of the major titles but don't allow for complete reads of a lot of arcs. As anyone who's tried any of those will tell you it becomes nigh-impossible to follow a storyline in one title after about 1988. My failed attempts to read full runs via those three options is what led me to torrents in the first place. But if you're not like me and can stand just reading parts of runs and arcs missing chunks, the digital unlimited sub is probably your best bet.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:53:39 AM by Vee »

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 01:34:39 PM »
I have some of those. At least one of the Spider-man ones and quite a few old Superman and Batman paperbacks. Those are mostly in b&w.

I have sold a few on ebay and list some from time to time as I find them.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 02:10:32 AM »
I'd actually prefer older comics, from before the time when they started trying to be "socially relevant" and addressing social/political issues. With Green Arrow, just as an example, it'd be before late 1969, when (according to what I've read) they decided to make him a voice for the political left. And I do prefer clean-cut heroes, so the older ones (such as Golden Age) would be more aligned with that, before they started swearing, etc. I'm just looking for good, old-fashioned comic-book adventure on the cheap.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 03:49:46 AM »
DCs before the late 60s are really hard to read, even bats, unless you happen to be an 8 year old from the 60s. Early Marvels are pretty good though. There's a reason Marvel took off so quickly. DC gets better in stages - it gets quite a bit better soon after Marvel gets popular but then falls off again with the popularity of TV Batman's camp. Late 60s it gets pretty good again, then falls off again in the mid 70s. Like all comics it really kind of depends on the writer/title though.

Really you should be fine with post-69 DC. Apart from GL/GA's road tripping across America the "socially relevant" stuff is pretty sporadic.