Author Topic: The Death Of Terry Pratchett  (Read 1871 times)

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
The Death Of Terry Pratchett
« on: March 12, 2015, 08:25:39 PM »
Well, the time finally came and unfortunately we'll never be able to experience the joy of reading a new book by Terry Pratchett. He was a great writer, a greater person, and quite frankly I've never seen another author or any kind of artists that created things quite the way that he did. Just thought I'd post a little something on here in memory of Pratchett, He was an amazing writer that has impacted my family and I greatly. I'd imagine there are quite a lot of other Pratchett lovers in the Heroes community that are taking his death pretty hard as well.

hurple

• Elite Boss
Re: The Death Of Terry Pratchett
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »
Agreed.  Loved every Pratchett book I've ever read. 

:'( :gonk: :gonk: :'(

pewlagon

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 02:49:02 PM »
I had the honor of meeting Sir Terry Pratchett once. He gave me some simple yet memorable advice on writing. I remember picking up the Hogfather in a book store and tearing through the first quarter of the book before walking up to the register to buy it. Since that fateful day I have bought pretty much everything he put out. The Long Earth series, with Stephen Baxter, is great and will have a decent wrap since they both ironed out details on it from the start.

Yesterday a friend of mine showed me a picture he drew. Mind you, to those that aren't familiar with Discworld this will seem morbid. The drawing was of Death attempting to guide Sir Pratchett through a doorway. Both were stating, "After you. No, after you." the image made me cry all over again.

For me there is one thing I will say about the man. Of all the words in the dictionary one needs to be revised...

Satire: see works of Terry Pratchett.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 05:12:45 PM »
I had the honor of meeting Sir Terry Pratchett once. He gave me some simple yet memorable advice on writing. I remember picking up the Hogfather in a book store and tearing through the first quarter of the book before walking up to the register to buy it. Since that fateful day I have bought pretty much everything he put out. The Long Earth series, with Stephen Baxter, is great and will have a decent wrap since they both ironed out details on it from the start.

Yesterday a friend of mine showed me a picture he drew. Mind you, to those that aren't familiar with Discworld this will seem morbid. The drawing was of Death attempting to guide Sir Pratchett through a doorway. Both were stating, "After you. No, after you." the image made me cry all over again.

For me there is one thing I will say about the man. Of all the words in the dictionary one needs to be revised...

Satire: see works of Terry Pratchett.

I definitely agree about the satire statement, even Pratchett's most seriously minded works bordered on satire and were wonderfully adept when it came to poking fun at the stranger norms in society.
This will also sound a bit weird, perhaps even to fans of Pratchett's works, but I find it strangely nice that Death was the greatest creation of Pratchett. After all he managed to make the personification of one of the most terrifying inevitabilities of life into a charming ditzy and ultimately comforting figure. I'm not sure if multiverse theory is true, but if it is I almost hope that in some random far off eventuality, Terry and Death now walk together :)

[EDIT: Fixed quote tags. ~Agge]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:02:56 PM by Aggelakis »

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
R.I.P. Terry Pratchett
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 06:43:04 AM »
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:48:22 AM by Nos482 »
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.