Author Topic: Power-ring question  (Read 875 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Power-ring question
« on: February 18, 2015, 04:29:33 AM »
I didn't have money to spare for comic books when I was young enough to have been inclined to read them (although I do enjoy superhero TV shows and movies - and now, games). So, not knowing anything about power rings, I was reading online about them recently. I read that a Blue Lantern needs a Green Lantern nearby, in order for the BL to access his ring's full potential (the rationale being that blue rings are powered by hope, and green by willpower, and you can only realize your hopes if you have the will to enact them). Did anyone, in the comics, ever try to create a "turquoise" power ring - combining blue and green, in order to overcome that limitation? I know that every superhero needs limits, in order to avoid his becoming too powerful to write suspenseful stories about him, so such an attempt would have failed for the sake of story-telling. But did they ever try?
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Power-ring question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 05:01:42 AM »
Wait, people pay for comic books?

I can't speak to the comics as i haven't gotten around to GL yet in my impossible-without-an-infinite-timeline reading list, but I think that'd go against their whole ridiculous one color one faculty/emotion metaphysics. I only know anything about it from the bad cartoon where his ring worked on its own but he was more effective buffing the green lanterns. Presumably if the guardians were capable of such high level color wheel manipulations they'd have been able to remove the yellow weakness from the green ones as well.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »
Isn't the White Ranger... I mean *Lantern*... a combination of all the colours?
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Microcosm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
There were a few comics in the geoff johns series where Hal Jordan had a blue ring as well as a green. If I recall correctly the two kind of fought for his mind.  The colors don't really mix when a user has multiple rings to make turquoise etc. Usually one color dominates at a time. White was not really a mix of each of the colors exactly, but the essence of the first life in the universe,  from which the other color-emotions split. And the guardians only mess with green, they cannot control other colors (though two split off to make the blue Corp). The yellow impurity,  the primal creature parallax, was removed a long time ago from the central battery.  Young lanterns still have issues with yellow until they gain experience because fear naturally interferes with will.