Author Topic: Interesting article...  (Read 1963 times)

Ultimate15

• Boss
Interesting article...
« on: November 20, 2014, 12:24:13 AM »
http://www.destructoid.com/did-blizzard-kill-my-dreams-for-a-city-of-heroes-successor--284044.phtml

This was posted just this afternoon on destructoid.com. Honestly, I've been really out of the loop with this Titan hooplah? Or Overwatch? Or Blizzard? I keep seeing these titles thrown around and I have no idea what even happened or who did what to who (I think someone pulled the plug on another game)...?

Aside from all those unfortunate happenings, I feel like the author did such a great job of encompassing - in a simple, yet cohesive and detailed way - just how unique City of Heroes really was and how no other game has come even close to doing what Paragon Studios (and NCSoft) did. He used the word 'special' once and it hit me like a ton of bricks. It's such a simple term, but that REALLY is just what it was...

And I quote:

..."CoH put a huge emphasis on player identity. An incredible number of costume parts was a given, but there were also a ton of little touches. Titles and honorifics could be unlocked, so you could be "The Incredible xXWolverineFanXx" if that was your bag. Badges could be set under you character name if you wanted to show off a particular accomplishment or just add a little flavor to your hero.

If you were so inclined, you could even write a small biography or backstory for your character that would be viewable to anyone with a simple right-click. The "quality" of these bios drastically varied, and it was as much fun to sit around a busy area and throw shade on crappy bios as it was to actually get out there and fight evil.

And the game just kept getting better and better. Great quality-of-life tools like the sidekick system and super groups made it easy to play with friends, even if you were at different experience levels, so you could always convince a buddy to join. More content was being added on a fairly regular basis, both tiny little quest lines and huge releases like the amazing City of Villains expansion. Old areas and quest lines were revamped and given a facelift as the dev team learned from past mistakes. Even the oft-requested feature of player-created quest lines was eventually released."

Special.  :)

Are we there yet?
Viva la Virtue!

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
Re: Interesting article...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 01:13:43 AM »
The tears are welling up in my eyes as I read this... :'(
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 04:16:02 AM »
http://www.destructoid.com/did-blizzard-kill-my-dreams-for-a-city-of-heroes-successor--284044.phtml

This was posted just this afternoon on destructoid.com. Honestly, I've been really out of the loop with this Titan hooplah? Or Overwatch? Or Blizzard? I keep seeing these titles thrown around and I have no idea what even happened or who did what to who (I think someone pulled the plug on another game)...?

Aside from all those unfortunate happenings, I feel like the author did such a great job of encompassing - in a simple, yet cohesive and detailed way - just how unique City of Heroes really was and how no other game has come even close to doing what Paragon Studios (and NCSoft) did. He used the word 'special' once and it hit me like a ton of bricks. It's such a simple term, but that REALLY is just what it was...

And I quote:

..."CoH put a huge emphasis on player identity. An incredible number of costume parts was a given, but there were also a ton of little touches. Titles and honorifics could be unlocked, so you could be "The Incredible xXWolverineFanXx" if that was your bag. Badges could be set under you character name if you wanted to show off a particular accomplishment or just add a little flavor to your hero.

If you were so inclined, you could even write a small biography or backstory for your character that would be viewable to anyone with a simple right-click. The "quality" of these bios drastically varied, and it was as much fun to sit around a busy area and throw shade on crappy bios as it was to actually get out there and fight evil.

And the game just kept getting better and better. Great quality-of-life tools like the sidekick system and super groups made it easy to play with friends, even if you were at different experience levels, so you could always convince a buddy to join. More content was being added on a fairly regular basis, both tiny little quest lines and huge releases like the amazing City of Villains expansion. Old areas and quest lines were revamped and given a facelift as the dev team learned from past mistakes. Even the oft-requested feature of player-created quest lines was eventually released."

Special.  :)

Are we there yet?
Sorry I fail to see how a pvp fps will do anything that will cause all of the successors to cox to die. I just don't see it. Imho the real threat to the successors would be and I really hate to list them but co and dcu. Also going by this posters post Overwatch you cannot have custom characters you just choose a character to play, you cannot write a bio for said character.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:02:13 AM »

TITAN is referencing a game that Blizzard was working on for 7 years which was abandoned in favor of OVERWATCH. This article in no way is discussing this site.. City of Titans or any of the successor projects.

Sorry I fail to see how a pvp fps will do anything that will cause all of the successors to cox to die. I just don't see it. Imho the real threat to the successors would be and I really hate to list them but co and dcu. Also going by this posters post Overwatch you cannot have custom characters you just choose a character to play, you cannot write a bio for said character.

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 03:57:31 AM »
I think what the original author of the article was saying was that "Titan" was likely going to be a Super-Hero based MMO.  After 7 years of development Blizzard could not figure out how to make a Super-Hero MMO and make it fun.  Instead opting to make a MOBA in its place.  Thus the hope of of a big player in the gaming industry making a "New" Superhero MMO successor to COH unlikely.  Champions Online has never had the following that City of Heroes did.  Same for DC Universe Online.  Both of which were mentioned in the article as they at least are still around.  The author much like many other players has found no true replacement for COH anywhere else.

If Overwatch was made with re-used assets from Blizzard's scrapped Titan project, and it's all about cartoony-looking superheroes mixing it up in a Pixar-esque world, does that mean Blizzard was working on its own superhero MMO? And they killed it?

No mention of City of Titans or Valiance Online or even Heroes and Villains.  Just a lament for a Blizzard game that will never see the light of day.  Unlike an MMO where you make your own characters, "Overwatch" will likely give you the option of playing with specialized characters with particular abilities as most MOBAS seem to do.
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!