Author Topic: Blizzard announces Overwatch.  (Read 4024 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Blizzard announces Overwatch.
« on: November 08, 2014, 03:45:48 AM »
Think Team Fortress 2 with superheroes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqnKB22pOC0
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
Re: Blizzard announces Overwatch.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 04:30:30 AM »
The cinematic was pretty nifty, yep.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 06:03:28 AM »
I'm extremely skeptical, actually outright pessimistic.

Shooters have been hijacked for a long, long time, while it's nice seeing them target a niche of gamers who've been without something, I also worry those same gamers will be "What the hell?  These n00bs won't even play without healers!?  Where the hell are they getting the idea of such a specific setup all the time!?".  If it's a coop game, well, complacent gamer syndrome from stop having fun crowd, meh, I'm pessimistic.

Big time.

Because the genre has been hijacked for so long, it's kind of sad.  First vehackles auto-winning for a long time(think undodgable tank shell hitting for 400 damage when your max health/armor is only 199/150, yeah...), then course we had lost coopertive for a long time, only serious sam really allowed it(even serious sam 2 fails coop, though serious sam 3 does really well with it).  It's just I almost expect them to make modern mistakes in there, or even just force the dreaded unholy trinity in there.  I'm pessimistic, and really don't blame me.

When we were cursed with moments like this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnn4bG1tj-E for a long time and then generally the same thing for a LONG time that wasn't fun, it's hard NOT to be pessimistic.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 09:38:05 AM »
Do Want ;D

Heh, King's Row...
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »
It looks interesting.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 02:05:39 AM »
As a big fan of TF2, I'm very much looking forward to Overwatch. On a side note, does the skull mask dude's animation at 3:13 remind anyone else of dual pistol blaster Hail of Bullets?

Chance Jackson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 03:50:52 AM »
I was looking into this yesterday and it does look interesting reminds me of Archeblade just with an FPS focus
Chance Jackson was my Global, I mostly played on Triumph Toons: LIEGE CHEETATRON X - Bots/Traps/Mu lvl 50 +3; DOWN RIGHT FIERCE - SJ/Fire/Soul Brute lvl 50 +3; FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE -KM/Nin/Fire Stalker lvl 50 +3; TIME MAY CHANGE ME - Time/Sonic/Dark; INFERNAL SAMURAI - DB/Fire/Fire lvl 50 +3 replaced by "NITORYU" - DB/WP probably a brute; THUNDEROUS BRUTE - Elec/Shield Scrapper; And Many More!

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 05:05:31 PM »
Do Want ;D

Heh, King's Row...

Saw that, too! Doesn't look much like City's King's Row, though.

Feign

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 03:35:48 AM »
At first, just seeing the scenematic, I thought a revived CoH might have some serious competition on its hands for once...  Then I found out it was a FPS and I relaxed...

I might give it a try if I ever get a decent gaming rig again for whatever reason, but otherwise, not likely.

wei yau

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 01:51:50 AM »
I am intrigued by the character design and lore, but not so much the gameplay.  Been thinking a lot about this game and was inspired to do this...

I am continually amazed by the versatility of the City of Heroes costume creator.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 06:55:56 PM »
Nice work, wei!

Spot-on job.

Blizz should make a feature-film to coincide with the game..

:D
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 06:34:22 PM »
Just saw this announced on the Tor.com website and rushed here to see what others had posted about it. It does look interesting and the Cinematic Trailer absolutely rocked!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:54:17 PM by Remaugen »
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 09:09:13 PM »
One side note that I heard, that Overwatch uses assets from the Titan MMO they were developing.  I have mixed feelings if Titan was Blizzard's attempt at an original IP superhero-ish action MMO.  I might have been able to get into that but the annual fee would be tough now after two years of F2P Guild Wars 2.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 10:36:32 AM »
Blizzard seem to be stepping up production of new IPs, and branching out into new areas.

The problem I have with most FPS is matchmaking. I don't play them that much but when I do I tend to end up vs someone that has played them 24/7 for the last 6 months and who knows where I'm going before i do. Not fun. If they can sort that out (I have my doubts given the way Hearthstone matchmaking works) then i may well play this from time to time.