Author Topic: What are you reading now? Share with everyone!  (Read 1712 times)

therain93

• Elite Boss
What are you reading now? Share with everyone!
« on: November 02, 2014, 06:04:18 PM »
Similar to the "What are you playing now?" thread....

I just finished the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.  It  was a very interesting premise and the first 300 pages went very quickly, but it did feel like the author didn't quite know how to end it and didn't find the praise quoted on the back cover actually equaled the writing.  The story felt a bit like a mashup of the Prestige, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, and Good Omens with a token nod to the Gunslinger.  Overall, I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5, a strong freshman effort, and would read another book of hers if the topic piqued my interest.

Now I've just purchased the first Game of Thrones book on the kindle and will begin the indoctrination into that world.....pad and paper will be at hand to try and keep track of things.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
Re: What are you reading now? Share with everyone!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »
Major Trends in Jewish Mysticism by Gershom Scholem
350 pages

The book outlines Jewish mysticism from it beginnings to modern Hasidism.

A meaty, provoking volume covering general characteristics of Jewish Mysticism, Merkabah and Gnosticism, Hasidism (both medieval and modern), the doctrine of prophetic Kabbalism, the Zohar,  Isaac Luria, and Sabbatianism and mystical heresy.

It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 10:56:01 PM »
I just finished reading the book Under The Skin by Michel Faber. Fascinating enough to me that I read it in a single day (just over 300 pages as an ebook). I know it was made into a movie with Johansson, released last year, but I haven't seen that yet. Perusing a quick synopsis of the movie, it seems to be a radically different story while keeping some elements. Understandable, as the book was mostly expressed as the inner thoughts and feelings of the main protagonist, which doesn't translate at all well to the silver screen. I give the book 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 12:03:36 AM »
Currently reading the Vanx Malic series.  It's a bit cheesy.  In fact, it reads to me like a D&D adventure.  But it's amusing me.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 05:22:07 AM »
I'm about half way through The Order War by L. E. Modesitt Jr. I have about 12 more books, set in that world, to go.

then, I think I'll red the Belgariad series, by David Eddings.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Excidia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 04:12:40 PM »
The Temporal Void by Peter F Hamilton.  2nd book of this trilogy which is a sequel to an earlier trilogy.  Sci-fi with some cyberpunk elements without going as deep into either as other authors.  I think this is the 11th book by Hamilton I've read.  All are similar in concept although scale differs.  One series is earth only, one is earth, some aliens, and colonies, last is galactic level end of all life events.  Common concepts are implants that allow access to their version of the internet, some body augmentation.

Prior to that was the Intruders by Michael Marshall.  It was turned into an 8 episode mini series on BBC America and just finished airing a few weeks ago.  I enjoyed it and wanted to read the original.  Very little difference between the book and movie.  Gist is there are a group of people who have learned to piggyback their souls onto other people after they've died.  The belong to a group that finds the new body and reminds them of who they used to be.  Works fine until one goes mad and becomes a serial killer.

e-

You don't ever leave someone FOR dead.  You leave them DEAD.

Corlagon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 08:03:46 PM »
I just finished the first part of Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy. It's controversial, but I like it so far.

And as for comics, I'm reading the City Fall arc of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Great series. And some classic Iznogoud stuff.

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 05:57:25 PM »
I just finished reading the book Under The Skin by Michel Faber. Fascinating enough to me that I read it in a single day (just over 300 pages as an ebook). I know it was made into a movie with Johansson, released last year, but I haven't seen that yet. Perusing a quick synopsis of the movie, it seems to be a radically different story while keeping some elements. Understandable, as the book was mostly expressed as the inner thoughts and feelings of the main protagonist, which doesn't translate at all well to the silver screen. I give the book 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5.
The movie, to me, was a fascinatingly alien film that worked really well in a theater, not so much on your couch at home; in a theater you're (mostly) stuck in the dark with this odd beast and spend your time carefully thinking about what you're seeing on the screen, while at home your cat jumps into your lap, your S.O. makes a comment, your power goes out (seriously!), you decide you want something to drink and pause the film... the magic is lost that way.  I haven't read the book, but from what I've read about it, the film is a departure, yes.  Still brilliant though.

Me, reading?  Well, I'm slowly working my way through a collection of Shirley Jackson novels (which appear to be mostly earlier works before she found her voice, or what I think of as her voice, in works such as We Have Always Lived In The Castle) and (very slowly) Vanished Kingdoms: The Rise and Fall of States and Nations by Norman Davies - really interesting but dense reading about the history of whole handfuls of hipster nations that once existed in Europe that "you've probably never heard of," I know I hadn't.  Mainly though I constantly try and keep up with all my magazine subs: Harpers', The Week, New York Review Of Books, Science News... which I fail at.  :/
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 04:57:10 AM »
Who is Killing the Great Capes of Heropa by Andrez Bergen - one of the most entertaining superhero novels I've read, chock full of references to classic 60s Kirby. It could also be described as Dashiell Hammett plays City of Heroes.