Author Topic: Wildstar Developer Layoffs  (Read 3600 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Wildstar Developer Layoffs
« on: October 24, 2014, 02:05:52 AM »
http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/23/7050545/wildstar-carbine-studios-layoffs

60 people laid off.

I'm sad to hear that, and I hope the game itself manages to survive. The MMO genre needs more non-WOW style games.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
Re: Wildstar Developer Layoffs
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »
I guess Wildstar's next on NCSoft's chopping block...

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 05:12:10 AM »
Wildstar is a fun game but they nerfed two classes that were already hard to learn and ever fight feels like a boss fight with the fact that you have to manually dodge everything. Which wouldn't be a problem but it feels like it takes too long to kill stuff. I stopped playing at level 49 when my friend that bought me the game stopped playing.

I'm sure it will take awhile to get it to the just right feeling for that new style combat system. And like wow it will have lots of nerfs and changes and unnerfing... (so much development time is wasted on this shit) but for now I'm not playing it.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 05:24:21 PM »
I'm sad to hear that, and I hope the game itself manages to survive. The MMO genre needs more non-WOW style games.

Based on what people are saying in various threads here, I was under the impression that Wildstar is very much a WOW style game... in space!
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Jorge Firebomb

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 07:37:10 PM »
The combat system in Wildstar is quite different from WoW, if nothing else. From all I've heard, the Wildstar combat system is really pretty good, it's the lack of support for more than one playstyle (in terms of hardcore/casual and all points inbetween) at the end game that is really killing it. Oh and the bugs, I suppose.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 05:16:47 PM »
Wildstar is a fun game but they nerfed two classes that were already hard to learn and ever fight feels like a boss fight with the fact that you have to manually dodge everything. Which wouldn't be a problem but it feels like it takes too long to kill stuff. I stopped playing at level 49 when my friend that bought me the game stopped playing.

I'm sure it will take awhile to get it to the just right feeling for that new style combat system. And like wow it will have lots of nerfs and changes and unnerfing... (so much development time is wasted on this pancake) but for now I'm not playing it.

Ya I never made it to 50 either.  Which is really rare in MMO's for me.  Around level 40 you realized that there is actually nothing to do at level 50 yet.  The game had the look of an ocean with the depth of a swimming pool.  I'm willing to check it out in a few years though.  To be honest I thought Coh was pretty meh for the first year or two as well.  But then it became my favorite MMO.  So we will see I suppose

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 07:21:28 AM »
I heard the developers were extremely arrogant types who wanted the game to be an old school mmorpg, basically raids being the only thing and, well, the attitude of a stop having fun guy means they'd only design something only a very very small % of players would enjoy.  I also went by reviews and read the game required the trinity, that instantly made me say no to it.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 05:19:56 AM »
Wildstar has it's share of problems but it's honestly not nearly as bad as some of the people in all the now locked threads here are making it out to be. I think I'd probably still be playing it now if my buddy was still around to play but it's not something I want to solo in forever and I'm not big on pugging (Cox was the only game I pugged in)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 05:16:10 AM »
Wildstar has it's share of problems but it's honestly not nearly as bad as some of the people in all the now locked threads here are making it out to be. I think I'd probably still be playing it now if my buddy was still around to play but it's not something I want to solo in forever and I'm not big on pugging (Cox was the only game I pugged in)

Ya I didn't think it was awful either.  Everyone I know stopped at level 50 because there was nothing to do.  So by the time I was close I had no one to play with either.  But it's not this hardcore raider MMO everyone seems to think it is that focuses on "no fun."  If anything the game suffers from a severe lack of endgame content.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 09:16:06 AM »
Every MMO suffers from a severe lack of endgame content at launch, no matter what their intended focus is. And then every MMO lays off a pile of people soon after launch, thus ensuring they can't produce that content fast enough. Such is the nature of the industry, like everything else it's run by people with tunnel vision on right now and no though for what their actions to improve the situation now will do to cause problems later.