Author Topic: Best Controller  (Read 41712 times)

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
Re: Best Controller
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2014, 06:17:17 AM »
The best Controller is whichever one I was playing at the time!

Mine too. I feel your pain.
Mine too.  It was also my first 50, and my main until the game closed.  Oh how I loved him.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:28:13 AM by Thirty-Seven »

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2014, 06:20:17 AM »
If you are looking for something a little different that might give you a more offensive outlook for your new controller, you might consider a */NA.

I've recently convinced myself that Nature Affinity is an awesome set. Easy to see that it's biggest positive is the HoTs it can provide. It also adds  -Dam, -ToHit, hold, -Res, Resistance, Regen and the Absorb ability. All together these represent a very nice bundle of goodies. Then there is the tier 9. The tier 9 is very intriguing in that it offers a hard to come by, but very nice end discount of 93.1% for controllers and a aoe +Dam of 66%.
The caveat to the whole set is that the Tier 9 is hard to make perma, but you can get pretty close.

To get the most efficiency out of NA you would want to use a primary that is more offensive. This makes fire an odds on favorite to run with it. I would also consider Dark and Plant to be very good pairings for this set.

I know it's not as offensive as a /Kin or an AV killer like /rad, but pairing with NA provides a decent amount of defensive options while still being an offensive set.
That's all well and good, too bad I found the effects to be hideous and overbearing.

IMO, the team went way overboard with the powers crafted from Dual John Woos onward.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2014, 03:31:40 PM »
That's all well and good, too bad I found the effects to be hideous and overbearing.

IMO, the team went way overboard with the powers crafted from Dual John Woos onward.

I pretty much agree with your assessment of the basic look of the set. I did find that if you recolor it to a very dark or all white coloring it gives the set a much better feel.
You definitely have to work a theme not to make it look all Disney.

For example, Fire/NA with all brown (burnt) coloring for NA named Florist Fire. Imagine Hot Feet running while you push your already burned animation.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

primeknight

• Boss
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »
I wanted to throw out my pick for favorite, "best", controller into the ring:

mind/kin.

I loved how i could arrest the villains without feeling like I was sending them to the emergency room. 

A mind/kin was such a great bag of tricks that there was always at least something useful to do in every fight (control wise) and usually there was a whole list if things I wanted to do all at the same time.  In all cases except a solo av fight a mind/kin was a wonderful thing.  With mass confusion, confusion, and fulcrum shift alone a mind/kin could turn the tide of a losing battle: although a mind/kin usually made the phrase "losing battle" into an oxymoron.  The incarnate introduction content was soloable thanks to confuse.  The telekinesis + repel combo was one of my most favorite least utilized combos for instantly controlling anything from a group to a boss.  A mind/kin was both solo and group friendly and broke the holy trinity mold in such a way that I've been ruined for every single game since. 

Once incarnate content came out I switched mains from my scrapper to my mind/kin controller because I knew how overpowered and universally useful he was and I wanted both that character specifically to become as overpowered as possible and and wanted to have a character that could utilize incarnate abilities to the fullest. 

I miss being able to fly through Paragon City knowing that the best of the City's powers were at my finger tips. 

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2014, 06:48:36 PM »
My best controller was my grav/rad/psy, it had awesome controls added with being a av destroyer with rad :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2014, 03:00:40 AM »
 The only controller I regret never taking all the way to 50 was a Fire/Rad..

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2014, 02:11:32 PM »
I don't know if it's the "best" controller (which is a very open-ended question) but my Plant/Rad/Psi was very strong.  Definitely on my remake-if-I-get-to-play-again list.

robo40

• Minion
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2014, 01:55:02 PM »
Not to threadomance, but this is a fascinating discussion.  Shouldn't Time be in the conversation with /Rad and /Dark?  Chronoshift makes perma-Army even easier, and it's pretty close on -regen and ally buffing.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2014, 11:17:45 PM »
God, I miss this game!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:46:40 PM by makjwalton »
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2014, 04:16:12 AM »
Not to threadomance, but this is a fascinating discussion.  Shouldn't Time be in the conversation with /Rad and /Dark?  Chronoshift makes perma-Army even easier, and it's pretty close on -regen and ally buffing.

What -Regen? AFAIK, Time Manipulation had a 100% Regen debuff that could be kept permanently (easily), and a 50% Regen debuff that could also be easily kept up permanently, but neither was stackable. So it put out a relatively low -150% Regen debuff.

Meanwhile, /Regen keeps up a pretty permanent -500%, and /Dark had about -300% if you kept Twilight Grasp stacked, plus another -500% from Howling Twilight that was up almost half the time. Given chances to miss and the fact that when HT was up for /Dark it actually had wasted -Regen, both Dark and Rad can break 450% while Time is at 150%.

-Resist is higher for Dark, and about equivalent for Rad. Rad puts out more damage output boost with A-M and a Recharge boost, while Time only has a Recharge boost.

Defensively, Time does kick butt. And for Illusion specifically, it's even easier to make PA permanent with Time than with Rad. So you do cover the defense pretty strongly with Time (although against an AV not as strongly as Dark's ability to layer Defense, -ToHit, and -Damage). But offensively against an AV, Time is pretty far back.

The leaders in secondaries for offense against AVs are Storm, Ice, Dark, Rad, Poison, and Thermal, in about that order. There are a few shifts that happen depending on primaries (/Kin becomes good when paired with Fire, for example), but Time is really in the set that does some damage boosting but not a great amount of it. It's basically better than Empathy and Force Fields and that's about it.

robo40

• Minion
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2014, 01:18:10 PM »
Right, missed that Time's -Regen doesn't stack.  Just looking for new powersets to play, but my theorycrafting was weak.  Thanks!

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2014, 07:03:16 AM »
/Rad was amazing...but not necessarily the only AV killer. I had seven solo (no Warburg nukes or Shivans...legit solo) AV takedowns with my Ill/Kin, pre-Incarnate. Mind you, this was probably a 2.5 billion inf build with perma-Phantom Army, but she could take down certain AVs, in time. The majority of AVs could out-regen her DPS, but there were a few she could beat by herself. And no /Kin ever lacked for team invites, when I wasn't solo'ing her...

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #132 on: December 24, 2014, 01:52:55 PM »
The best controller is a wireless xbox 360 controller, made for PC :P

Seriously though, the only controller that I did really well with was an illusion/time controller. Even soloing, that guy could tear it up. For some reason, that was the only time I really got "into" the controller class. Otherwise I was kind of meh about it. I think I tried gravity/rad and earth/sonic, and a few other combinations.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #133 on: December 24, 2014, 02:47:14 PM »

The most fun was my Plant/Storm, hands down. 

My Fire/Rad was also very powerful, could literally melt groups of mobs.

Tried a few other combinations,  but nothing else really clicked with me.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---