Author Topic: Doctor Who "Robot of Sherwood" (Spoilers)  (Read 1596 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Doctor Who "Robot of Sherwood" (Spoilers)
« on: September 07, 2014, 03:35:45 AM »
This episode reminded me a bit of that Tom Baker episode with the android prince.  And the guy playing the Sheriff would make a good Master.  My favourite line had to be "I don't need a sword, because I am the Doctor and this is my spoon!"

Looks like next week will be a requisite creepy episode.  We'll see how this Doctor does creepy.  I look forward to it.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Doctor Who "Robot of Sherwood" (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 03:39:25 AM »
I love the fact that he is generally deeper and darker than Matt Smith (which we needed) but they are willing to get some giggles out. I was afraid we would have grimdarkblackityblack Doctor, since there was so much fan outcry over Matt's childish demeanor.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 11:01:31 AM »
I think the whole notion of fading into legend reminds me of the last episode of Smith's first season.

"But that's OK: we're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 03:42:25 PM »
My favourite line had to be "I don't need a sword, because I am the Doctor and this is my spoon!"

I now know why we never see the Doctor and the Tick in the same place at the same time.  :o
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 06:20:21 PM »
I think the whole notion of fading into legend reminds me of the last episode of Smith's first season.

"But that's OK: we're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

Reminded me of Superboy Prime punching reality - "We are all punches waiting to be thrown."

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »
I enjoyed it as a lark just fine, even despite the silly golden arrow ending; Gatiss noted it was "probably the most frivolous of the season" or something, and out of the first three, he appears to be right. 

But what it highlighted for me was how great the direction and cinematography of the first two eps were!  They were both directed by Ben Wheatley, someone I know next to nothing about, but -man!-  Those two eps played like strange dreams and really had a different feel, which I think was a good call for making the new era feel new and different. 

Now we seem to have reverted to the usual style of "television directing": "Ok, let me check here... everyone's in focus, yes... the Macguffin in his hand is in shot, yup..., ok, all good - cut!"  It all works fine enough and gets the story across, but without any noticable no flair or atmosphere, you know?  It takes no risks, just toddling along paying off its usual slim rewards...
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

FemFury

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 10:43:53 PM »
Silly, but fun.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 10:53:30 PM »
I enjoyed it as a lark just fine, even despite the silly golden arrow ending; Gatiss noted it was "probably the most frivolous of the season" or something, and out of the first three, he appears to be right. 

But what it highlighted for me was how great the direction and cinematography of the first two eps were!  They were both directed by Ben Wheatley, someone I know next to nothing about, but -man!-  Those two eps played like strange dreams and really had a different feel, which I think was a good call for making the new era feel new and different. 

Now we seem to have reverted to the usual style of "television directing": "Ok, let me check here... everyone's in focus, yes... the Macguffin in his hand is in shot, yup..., ok, all good - cut!"  It all works fine enough and gets the story across, but without any noticable no flair or atmosphere, you know?  It takes no risks, just toddling along paying off its usual slim rewards...
A lot of this right here. I noticed so many of the shots were so very flat, (particularly the utterly pointless wide angle shots of the merry men's encampment) and so much of the actors' movements and exhaultations just felt forced, compared to the first two episodes which were filled with a sort of cinematic gravitas.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor