Author Topic: The Meddling of Prometheus and the Many Worlds of Earth  (Read 1680 times)

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
The Meddling of Prometheus and the Many Worlds of Earth
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:51:56 AM »
Some speculation that came to me in the Praetorian Timeline thread-

What if it was Prometheus' arrival on Primal Earth, millenia ago, and his subsequent mucking about with the Well of Humanity and/or gifting Humanity with his Flames that caused the Earth to split into all of the various different alternate Earths that we know exist in the CoH universe? (ie, Praetorian, Rikti, Reichsman, etc.)

Perhaps prior to that point, there was only one singular Earth. Perhaps that was the crime for which Zeus summarily punished Prometheus?

(If nothing else, it might solve some of the weird wonkiness that surrounds the whole notion of the apparently singular Well existing in both Primal and Praetorian Earth and the way it chose Tyrant as its primary avatar towards the end there.)

Tacitala

• Boss
Re: The Meddling of Prometheus and the Many Worlds of Earth
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 04:17:25 PM »
That would be a good explanation for some of the problems.  Perhaps the split happened somewhere in that time frame of the Mu-Oranbegan war at the dawn of humanity since I seem to remember there being a divergent Earth where the Oranbegans weren't corrupted in to becoming the Circle of Thorns.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »
That would be a good explanation for some of the problems.  Perhaps the split happened somewhere in that time frame of the Mu-Oranbegan war at the dawn of humanity since I seem to remember there being a divergent Earth where the Oranbegans weren't corrupted in to becoming the Circle of Thorns.

I seem to recall you might be right, now that you mention it. My swiss-cheese brain wants to say that it might be in a mission/story arc on Villain side?

I want to take a look back at Rularuu related Lore right now as well, and see if that might fit in there somehow.

EDIT: Oh, and I have to say, I love your quote there, Tacitala. The Chronicles of Amber are one of my favorite series of books. Of course, my favorite quote (and character) is: "I enjoy slaughtering beasts," he said, "and I think of my relatives constantly." - Julian, Nine Princes in Amber.

Followed shortly by Corwin's quote about Solipsism.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:22:03 PM by jsmill@wans.net »

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 09:10:17 PM »
I recall that story as well, although I'm drawing a blank on who gives it out.

It was fun getting confirmation that some of those odd references in the game were in fact nods to the Amber books.  Particularly as I had both an Amberite and a Logrus Master amongst my alts.

Kurrent

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »
I recall that story as well, although I'm drawing a blank on who gives it out.

It was fun getting confirmation that some of those odd references in the game were in fact nods to the Amber books.  Particularly as I had both an Amberite and a Logrus Master amongst my alts.

Pretty sure it was Tina Macintyre, one of the Portal missions.  Malta were invading their dimension, I think.

Kurrent

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 02:30:20 PM »
Some speculation that came to me in the Praetorian Timeline thread-

What if it was Prometheus' arrival on Primal Earth, millenia ago, and his subsequent mucking about with the Well of Humanity and/or gifting Humanity with his Flames that caused the Earth to split into all of the various different alternate Earths that we know exist in the CoH universe? (ie, Praetorian, Rikti, Reichsman, etc.)

Perhaps prior to that point, there was only one singular Earth. Perhaps that was the crime for which Zeus summarily punished Prometheus?

(If nothing else, it might solve some of the weird wonkiness that surrounds the whole notion of the apparently singular Well existing in both Primal and Praetorian Earth and the way it chose Tyrant as its primary avatar towards the end there.)

I found much of the Prometheus story to be contradictory and vague, and I was torn between wanting clearer answers from him versus taking him down a peg violently.  I was dearly looking forward to a mission one day where we got to go toe to toe with him, because his arrogance had it coming.

I also got the distinct impression that the whole Well plotline was being written as they went, unlike most of the plots and background information in the game.