Author Topic: New efforts! -- metadiscussion  (Read 82584 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts! -- metadiscussion
« Reply #220 on: September 01, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
Uhh I want CoH in maintenance mode...so they can work on CoH2. I would GLADLY play CoH2 in maintenance mode for 2-3-4 years if it meant a CoH2.
I'm just not of the mindset that if a studio that has some experience gets CoH and works on CoH2 that they will make it a holy trinity grindfest.... to suppose that is to grab at imaginary straws. Just because Studio A has done this or that...does not mean they will do that with a CoH2. A Studio wants to make money...and appeal to their core audience... the playstyle of CoH being dramatically altered would do neither. How about stop assuming the absolute worst until 1. CoH is back 2. CoH2 creation has started and 3. Oh I dunno an Alpha release of CoH2 is on the table??

A bad dev team under a sloppy publisher would because said publisher demands it even against the developers better judgement :).  I agree with you an altered CoH wouldn't appeal to anyone.  Again, I saw what happened to CO, none of the changes appealed to it's core audience even due to publisher meddling at times or devs who never spoke with the majority.  But I do not think the team getting CoX is going to be like that.  I'm actually optimistic, just i'm pecimistic about mmorpg developers in general anymore.  Publishers are to blame to, but developers also have to be clear on things.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #221 on: September 01, 2014, 08:38:25 PM »
I don't care if Bugs Bunny is hosting the servers and Wile E. Coyote is his second in command.

I do. Acme servers are the worst.

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #222 on: September 01, 2014, 08:39:22 PM »
They're only good at Mobil apps  :D

UGH!!

Surelle

« Reply #223 on: September 01, 2014, 08:52:44 PM »
If I was on that Team Hail Mary I'd be ready about now to do what the last Team Hail Mary did-- drop off the face of the earth in short order!   :P  What a raucous is being raised here lately! 

I honestly hope THeM stays quiet, without saying a single thing about anything today or on any other day until they have signed deal in hand, and meanwhile continues to work on saving CoH.   And if it all falls through, we don't need any sort of explanation, information about who they really are, or anything.  They should keep it all private and not have to listen to harassment, whining, demands, or become targets, which is just what's going to happen if they announce who they are, especially this early on in negotiations.

And I hope everyone involved, from THeM to Ironwolf to Robert on Facebook learns to keep things to themselves from now on.  It's great that Ironwolf started the ball rolling, but in hindsight he told too many people too much and for way too long-- the whole Robert Debacle wouldn't have happened never mind the Massively article if no one knew anything.  There would have been nothing to talk about.  And Robert clearly went way over the line threatening to blab his secondhand info if THeM didn't come forth today.  Robert has done no work whatsoever on the NCSoft deal and went off the deep end wanting attention and glory despite it.  He runs a FB page, and nothing more.  (Someone making death threats to him over it was crazy, though.)

Here's hoping everyone honestly tries to forget there even is any sort of attempt at buying CoH or the IP for CoH2.  Let's all just chill out and go back to life as we know it!  Clearly there is no deal or NCSoft would have announced it.   Let's just leave this Mystery Team alone, stop talking about it, and wait for a potential outcome.  If CoH gets sold, we'll all hear about it in short order.  Before that, nothing more needs to be said.

LionOfAlbion

• Underling
« Reply #224 on: September 01, 2014, 09:21:21 PM »
^nicely said. I know the guys were trying to spread a little optimism, but honestly, I do wish nothing had been said until both of the negotiating parties decided to say something.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #225 on: September 01, 2014, 09:27:15 PM »
I do. Acme servers are the worst.

You might have a point, come to think of it..... a grand piano crashing down on the servers every day might be problematic as well. Or dynamite.

Viking Queen

• Underling
« Reply #226 on: September 01, 2014, 09:32:26 PM »
No matter what happens with the return of City of Heroes, it will not change my already negative opinion of NC Soft. They. Just. Suck.
Champion Server 4 Life Baby !

Shifter

• Boss
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

microc

• Boss
« Reply #228 on: September 02, 2014, 03:21:36 AM »
tony one issue that been posted is a red flag to me. they posted that coh would be in maintenance mode till windows 9 comes out. right now windows 9 may be going to test build in a few months and may be out in the spring of next year. as the deal not closed or the game up and running will the team have time to get the game up and running before it has to be turned off.  myself I like to see the game come back and stay up as long as it can.

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #229 on: September 02, 2014, 03:30:26 AM »
tony one issue that been posted is a red flag to me. they posted that coh would be in maintenance mode till windows 9 comes out. right now windows 9 may be going to test build in a few months and may be out in the spring of next year. as the deal not closed or the game up and running will the team have time to get the game up and running before it has to be turned off.  myself I like to see the game come back and stay up as long as it can.

They always find ways of getting old programs to run on new operating systems, I would not loose to much sleep over that one.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #230 on: September 02, 2014, 03:35:52 AM »
They always find ways of getting old programs to run on new operating systems, I would not loose to much sleep over that one.

Also just because Windows 9 may be near launch doesn't mean that people will flock to the store to get it......unless they are using Windows 8 ;)

Seriously though, I never get an OS when it first launches, it is always best to wait.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #231 on: September 02, 2014, 03:38:09 AM »
My suggestion would be to basically ignore the Windows 9 aspect of it. People seem to be focusing on it a little bit, and it's really a tiny part of the picture.

A better piece to look at is that there's not going to be any way to update the game, and CoH has never been known as a bug free piece of software...or anything close to bug free.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Surelle

« Reply #232 on: September 02, 2014, 04:09:49 PM »
My suggestion would be to basically ignore the Windows 9 aspect of it. People seem to be focusing on it a little bit, and it's really a tiny part of the picture.

A better piece to look at is that there's not going to be any way to update the game, and CoH has never been known as a bug free piece of software...or anything close to bug free.

I hope those using the snapshot of I23 back it up a bunch of times and use a backup of the backup to get going with.  If something gets permanently corrupted, they can use another backup.  But character data would have to be perpetually saved somewhere else.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #233 on: September 02, 2014, 10:34:54 PM »
I hope those using the snapshot of I23 back it up a bunch of times and use a backup of the backup to get going with.  If something gets permanently corrupted, they can use another backup.  But character data would have to be perpetually saved somewhere else.

I'm sure that thing would be so backed up, it's backups backups backups backups backups backups wouldn't even know how many more backups there are.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2014, 01:20:05 AM »

I for one don't care about Win9 and don't care if the software is bug free.  I'll miss my toons if we don't have user data but I will survive.  If a deal gets inked and this thing becomes a countdown until rather than a what if, a more pertinent discussion is what will be offered to us at launch.  I say unlock everything...all AT's, all sets, all vet rewards, all booster packs, all costume parts, everydamnthing.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #235 on: September 03, 2014, 02:25:44 AM »
I for one don't care about Win9 and don't care if the software is bug free.  I'll miss my toons if we don't have user data but I will survive.  If a deal gets inked and this thing becomes a countdown until rather than a what if, a more pertinent discussion is what will be offered to us at launch.  I say unlock everything...all AT's, all sets, all vet rewards, all booster packs, all costume parts, everydamnthing.

I agree with this, if characters cannot be restored, then unlock everything at launch. 
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2014, 03:54:11 AM »

Another vote for this, if it is possible. I'm sure many, many players paid for some or all of this before, so it only makes sense they be allowed access to it now. And so what if some brand new player comes along and gets all the same things that longtime vets spent years accruing? Let's all just play with all of the toys we can get!

Sihada

• Minion
« Reply #237 on: September 03, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »
If I23 comes back with everything wiped and a functioning store, I think that will be a great opportunity for players.

1. They get to play CoH
2. They get to support the development of CoH 1.5 financially
3. They get immediate benefits from that financial support (costumer pieces, powers, etc.)

Everybody wins.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #238 on: September 03, 2014, 01:41:38 PM »
If I23 comes back with everything wiped and a functioning store, I think that will be a great opportunity for players.

1. They get to play CoH
3. They get immediate benefits from that financial support (costumer pieces, powers, etc.)

Everybody wins.

Certainly better than no game at all.  :)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #239 on: September 03, 2014, 05:57:22 PM »

1. They get to play CoH

Everybody wins.

I'd boil it down to:

CoH returns = everybody wins.

And, since I haven't seen it asked in a while..."Are we there yet?"
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.