Author Topic: Doctor Who "Deep Breath" (spoilers possible)  (Read 4964 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Doctor Who "Deep Breath" (spoilers possible)
« on: August 25, 2014, 08:41:45 AM »
I tentatively like the new Doctor...  The only thing that really bothered me about the episode was the out of place cartoon sound effect during the psychic link.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Doctor Who "Deep Breath" (spoilers possible)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 10:04:22 AM »
1)  Don't forget that Doctor Who is a show targeted at families with kids.

2)  How else do you indicate it's either Vastra deflected or overpowered the link thus knocking him out?

I love Strax.

Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 10:38:40 AM »
It was even funnier when he said "and we will NOT melt him with acid" and made the same villainous gesture for emphasis.  Strax does amuse.

Also: I, too, miss all the round things.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 01:00:06 PM »
I love the fact that he repeatedly asks where he got his new face, saying that he's seen it before. That being a nod to Capaldi's previous role on the show as not-the-Doctor. :)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »
I love the fact that he repeatedly asks where he got his new face, saying that he's seen it before. That being a nod to Capaldi's previous role on the show as not-the-Doctor. :)

Apparently Capaldi's role in the Vesuvius ep. and his role in Torchwood are both going to be referenced in some manner -- Davies said he had a theory that explained the multiple Capaldi's in the Whoniverse and apparently Moffat thinks it's a cool idea that works even better with Capaldi/Doctor.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »
I enjoyed it a lot. Though I have a feeling they are going to do with the Victorian London characters what they did with River... take a somewhat clever idea and run it flaming into the ground over about two seasons.

Also, am I the only one who gets just a hint of Doc Emmet Brown in Capaldi's Doctor?
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 08:09:48 PM »
I'll be Clara's boyfriend.  Jenna is such a cutie. 

I like the Victorian characters.  Perhaps lizard woman and Strax are long-lived and we can see them in a few different time periods (even if just over couple hundred years).

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 11:50:42 PM »
It reminds me a lot of the Tom Baker regeneration. He was dark and mysterious in the beginning if I recall correctly. It feels like they wanted to do him homage with this, and  the older doctors in general. They even threw in a long scarf reference. As to the episode itself, the entire episode felt more like a defense of their decision to bring in an older doctor than an entertaining story. Trivial, but I did not like the new intro. I thought it was, cheesy.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 12:01:16 AM »
The new intro is based on a fan-made creation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOBHnWiinY
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 12:04:26 AM »
I love Dr Who. I watch classic and modern Who . But something felt off in this episode. I think it was the fact that he doesnt know himself yet. I have watched the leaked episodes as well. They get better , but this first episode was too aimed at the folks who didnt like the fact that the doctor is older and there wont be no type of sexual tension between him and his companions . 

I think this is going to be a season arc issue of the DOCTOR finding himself and who he really is.  It 's just that with 9,10, and 11  we knew what type of Doctors we were getting from the first episode. Not so with this one .

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 02:16:03 AM »
I'm trying to recall, but in the recent big event where they brought all of the doctors together across time, didn't they make it a point of spelling out that each of the last few regenerations has been gradually forgetting the doctor's past?  Wouldn't this just be the natural extension of that phenomenon?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 02:55:59 AM »
I'm trying to recall, but in the recent big event where they brought all of the doctors together across time, didn't they make it a point of spelling out that each of the last few regenerations has been gradually forgetting the doctor's past?  Wouldn't this just be the natural extension of that phenomenon?

Already in the thread title, but just in case: *SPOILER ALERT*

That makes sense. I was thinking that they would have just blamed it on him regenerating past the typical max regeneration at some point in the episode but that never happened. He seemed to have all his marbles back by the end of the episode.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 04:15:08 AM »
It was even funnier when he said "and we will NOT melt him with acid" and made the same villainous gesture for emphasis.  Strax does amuse.

Strax was the best thing about the episode.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 01:07:54 PM »
I, for one, am glad they are going in a different direction with the Doctor.  It was beginning to get old having "tension" between him and his companions and I think it's interesting to explore that dynamic being gone.  The exchange with him stating he's sorry but he wasn't her boyfriend and her defensive response "I didn't think you were" and him admitting that he never said it was her mistake was very interesting.  Grumpy, old and dark is a welcome change.  Will it last though, who knows? But I think it will be fun watching.

Prediction: this "radical" change of the Doctor to an older man will be radically "course corrected" next regeneration and we will get a female Doctor (mid 30s to 40s) next time around.  I put my name on it.  :D  Further prediction: it will be a short run though.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 04:33:11 PM »
I enjoyed the "I'm not your boyfriend" moment a lot, even if (or possibly *because*... just a little bit) the Doctor momentarily became a purple cat thing with a pink bunny girl companion.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 11:29:36 PM »
I really need to see this episode!!!  Good thing it airs again on Saturday a couple of hours before the next episode.

I missed out on the premier episode because I was (helping) laying network cable in the attic of the house...among other things.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 01:19:35 AM »
I enjoyed it but I did find it interesting how Jenny and Vastra kept saying they were married and one was the others wife.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 06:55:48 AM »
I enjoyed it but I did find it interesting how Jenny and Vastra kept saying they were married and one was the others wife.
Why? They've been partners (the PC word for lesbian lovers) in every episode they've appeared in. It's not interesting. It's just an extension of their relationship.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 06:21:45 PM »
Why? They've been partners (the PC word for lesbian lovers) in every episode they've appeared in. It's not interesting. It's just an extension of their relationship.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe they've been marred almost since they were introduced.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 08:29:40 PM »
I know they were married in the xmas special.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor