Author Topic: Ridiculous facts about your time at CoH  (Read 22340 times)

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
Re: Ridiculous facts about your time at CoH
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2014, 04:06:01 AM »
The second dumbest would be joining PUG's in the Hallows.

But that's where the comedy is!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2014, 05:46:50 AM »
My first character was a claws/SR stalker. I attacked, ran away until I hid, attacked, ran away until I hid, attacked, ran away until I hid... I thought this was how the character had to be played. I hated the game. HATED the game. HOW BORING. HOW SLOW. Until I accidentally hit more attack buttons on my way out of a fight and continued attacking. WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN STAY AND HIT THINGS WHEN I'M NOT HIDDEN? Oh, this changes EVERYTHING!!!
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2014, 05:48:13 AM »
I wonder if creating a tunnel from my work PC (I was the sys admin for the group so I was safeish) to my home pc just so I could check to see if my stuff sold on the market counts as ridiculous?
:)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2014, 06:00:13 AM »
I wonder if creating a tunnel from my work PC (I was the sys admin for the group so I was safeish) to my home pc just so I could check to see if my stuff sold on the market counts as ridiculous?
:)

Nope, just obsessed.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2014, 06:58:00 AM »
Nope, just obsessed.

Nothing says obsessed like being on these forums waiting for news about a business negotiation. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Canine

• Lieutenant
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2014, 06:44:08 PM »
I was once tired enough that I should REALLY have just logged out and gone to bed.

Instead, I tanked a mission (one of the Freakshow missions on the Dreck map) with my eyes closed for about 66% of the time.  THEN I logged out and went to bed :)

Ice/Ice tanker, open my eyes to move the the next spawn, land in the middle, close my  eyes and start with the Energy Absorption, Ice Patch, Frozen Aura, Tab to target nearest, taunt.  repeat until the sounds of the rest of the team breaking Freaks goes away, open eyes, move to next spawn.

That toon was never a damage monster, but by god he could hold aggro like nobody's business.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2014, 08:59:25 PM »
I was once tired enough that I should REALLY have just logged out and gone to bed.

Instead, I tanked a mission (one of the Freakshow missions on the Dreck map) with my eyes closed for about 66% of the time.  THEN I logged out and went to bed :)

Ice/Ice tanker, open my eyes to move the the next spawn, land in the middle, close my  eyes and start with the Energy Absorption, Ice Patch, Frozen Aura, Tab to target nearest, taunt.  repeat until the sounds of the rest of the team breaking Freaks goes away, open eyes, move to next spawn.

That toon was never a damage monster, but by god he could hold aggro like nobody's business.

That makes me want to get out my Dark/Ice tank. Lordy but /ice was a perfect damage set to make a tanker tough to kill.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Boltmeister

• Underling
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2014, 05:54:46 PM »
I was the 2nd player live in Europe, on Defiant - after having been in beta for about a month. My main, Boltmeister (aka Boltie or Mayor of Faceplant City) was an en/en blaster / blapper, rerolled too many times, frakked up my build more than once and was generally a chatty guy.

Now, back to the story. I had asked to join The Contingency SG and when it was time for my trial with an existing member this happened during normal working hours. So I kinda crouched behind the monitor in the office and hoped that I would be kinda left alone for the next 90 minutes or so. Well, I wasn't. And the boss was none too pleased (my first and last gaming session while at work) - got off with a written warning.

Anyhow - I had a good few years on Defiant with the awesome members of The Contingency / The Last Stand. And I probably was the last in the group to ding 50 (which was an awesome moment with farming "that special mission where we absolutely weren't allowed to complete the final goal, so it could be reset and repeated" with an all-SG team working with one goal only - getting me from 48 to 50). Great memories, long hours on Defiant and a _lot_ of faceplanting. At one time I think I held a server-wide record in xp-debt
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:26:10 PM by Boltmeister »

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2014, 03:01:42 AM »
Well, there was a period of time where the infectious lightning power from one of Hamidon's Mitos would keep jumping forever as long as there were valid targets for it to jump between. Right after a Hami raid on Virtue i Ouroed out to Nemmie's time ship and then to Atlas Park with the lightning still on me. Of course it started jumping around draining hp and end and so on. i did keep it jumping between me and a police drone for a while, but eventually some other heroes came near enough and it started dancing through them spreading confusion and alarm... IIRC i eventually flew up high when it was on me where it died due to not having a valid target in range.
Mostly harmless and even more fun than shooting other heroes with the Sewer Trial Particle Rifle.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2014, 05:29:24 AM »
I built a machine from an old modified electric train controller, a small metal plate with a cam, and a popsicle stick. I used a C-clamp to mount it to my desk. When turned on, the motor moved the cam which the popsicle stick was mounted to and the stick would bob up and down. I'd set it over my keyboard to keep hitting a key all day while I was at work, which prevented my character from going AFK. I would leave my main logged in all day, resting in lava in a mission, just to earn the Damage Taken badges.
It's true what they say, "it takes a lot of work to avoid a lot of work".
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2014, 11:30:36 PM »
I don't know how rediculous it would be considered. But, I recall a time when I was flying through Kings Row on my level 50 Illusion/FF controller. Saw a couple of thugs bragging on the corner. I decided to force bolt one of them and he had the temerity to yell to his buddy, as he was sent soaring over a rooftop, "Catch you later."

Even the lowbie criminals know that they won't be in prison for long...
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Atropos

• Underling
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2014, 03:34:28 AM »
Not me personally, but my 10 year old daughter had just made the move from Atlas Park to Steel Canyon.  She was being chased by one mob or another, and thought she would stand by some policemen to be safe.

She had a rather rude introduction to the 5th Column that involved faceplanting. 

Me - choosing an Elec/Fire Blapper as my first toon.  Ooooh debt cap.
Me - thinking that the TV Reactor trial would let me choose new powers.  Oooooh debt cap.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2014, 04:04:05 AM »
Hosting an all stalker ITF on Victory Server... It was the most ridiculous thing ever to see 8 stalkers Assassin's Strike Imperious all at the same time... Required a few shivans to overcome the regen, but we managed pretty good...

Good times... Good times...

Groundbreaker

• Minion
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »
Me - thinking that the TV Reactor trial would let me choose new powers.  Oooooh debt cap.

And I thought I was the only one that made that goof :)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »
Hosting an all stalker ITF on Victory Server... It was the most ridiculous thing ever to see 8 stalkers Assassin's Strike Imperious all at the same time... Required a few shivans to overcome the regen, but we managed pretty good...

Good times... Good times...
You do realize that the only thing Shivans did to overcome regen was increase DPS, right? Shivans had no -regen debuffs, only -def. (Just asking since i've known many people who didn't.)

Shivan Decimator

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2014, 04:05:17 PM »
Accidentally quoted instead of modifying a post, oops.  :-[

Canine

• Lieutenant
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2014, 11:47:13 PM »
You do realize that the only thing Shivans did to overcome regen was increase DPS, right? Shivans had no -regen debuffs, only -def. (Just asking since i've known many people who didn't.)

Shivan Decimator

I preferred the Vanguard HVAS for when -regen was needed, myself.  Could only carry one, and they were trickier/more tedious to get than Shivans, but hell, it's a big, stompy mech.

And I can't quite believe that I remembered that with so little effort...

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2014, 12:27:02 AM »

Shivan Decimator

Well aware of that.

It took us a few tries to actually get Imperious down through all of his resurrections while dealing with the Nictus'(Nicti? What's the plural here?), but the last attempt everyone who could dropped the Shivans, popped some inspirations, and just mauled the crap out of him. Regen while still there just couldn't keep up with all that extra damage on top of frequent and repeated Assassin's Strikes.

Most fun I had on my Stalker, in fact. Was rather entertaining watching some of the AVs virtually explode when the fights started. :P

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2014, 06:14:34 PM »
Well aware of that.

It took us a few tries to actually get Imperious down through all of his resurrections while dealing with the Nictus'(Nicti? What's the plural here?), but the last attempt everyone who could dropped the Shivans, popped some inspirations, and just mauled the crap out of him. Regen while still there just couldn't keep up with all that extra damage on top of frequent and repeated Assassin's Strikes.

Most fun I had on my Stalker, in fact. Was rather entertaining watching some of the AVs virtually explode when the fights started. :P
Temporary DPS pets could trivialize most content, one of the more dramatic examples i witnessed was when we first used the "spawn as many pets as possible, fire off as many AoE buffs as you can and just power through all the blooms, all of them" Hamidon strategy on Virtue. In addition to filling the area with far more entities than the client could render at once it slowed down the server clock quite a bit.

i sort of wish there was an option for a display that showed server "time dilation", it would be interesting to see exactly how much slower server clock ticks were during events like Hami and Mothership raids, AP33, and the like.