Author Topic: Would you keep using Icon if City of Heroes came back?  (Read 3563 times)

Fescu

• Minion
Would you keep using Icon if City of Heroes came back?
« on: August 23, 2014, 01:08:48 AM »
A while back, a friend of mine told me about the efforts to save City of Heroes, and from what I saw it looks like they have a good chance at succeeding. I started thinking about what I would do with Icon if that happened, and I decided that I would keep it. In my opinion, Icon is fun in itself because it gives you more control over certain aspects than the actual game did, such as spawning and all that. So I was just curious, would you all keep using Icon if City of Heroes came back?
Speech is given, silence is earned.

Shifter

• Boss
Re: Would you keep using Icon if City of Heroes came back?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 01:28:09 AM »
Yes, whenever CoH is down and my little one wants to play for one.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:45:08 AM »
Yes.

Icon is great setting up scenes for screenshots for making a comic book story.  I just need to stay focused on one story/character theme and finish one, someday.  I guess I have another form of altitis.  ;D

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 10:45:43 AM »
Yes, can use the costume design whenever CoH is offline for maintance as previously mentioned by Shifter.

Fescu

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 11:30:21 PM »
Yes.

Icon is great setting up scenes for screenshots for making a comic book story.  I just need to stay focused on one story/character theme and finish one, someday.  I guess I have another form of altitis.  ;D

Oh, cool. I used to do that, but since I'm heading off literally tomorrow for my second year of college I haven't had chance lately. I was just curious because at first I was of the mindset that if CoH came back that I wouldn't need Icon, but I've grown to enjoy it a lot as it is.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 07:59:59 AM »
It's a good opportunity to test how the character actually looks in the game environment.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

pmoyer

• Minion
  • Please leave a message at the sound of the tone...
    • Magnetic Terrapin Studios
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 10:48:45 PM »
Yep, I would use it.  Both for testing out new costumes without actually having to spend inf for them, and for running around taking screenshots.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 02:24:36 AM »
It's pretty good for getting screenshots with multiple toons from the same account, or multiple costumes. It'll always have value for that :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »
Yes!  I would definitely keep it around.  I agree with everyone else so far: It would be worth it to have the ability to make (and try out) costumes without being online in the actual game.  The difference in lighting from the character creator and walking around in game can be fairly drastic- never mind it being easier to crank your graphics up in Icon.  I might not use it as much for screen shots, but you never know.

One thing that people haven't mentioned is that badge markers are a part of the maps.  I severely dislike the way coordinates are set in game, so it would helps me to know where badge markers are without having to repeatedly check coordinates/pictures on the Wiki. I could look up exactly where a marker is in Icon before zipping in to an area with monsters above my level because dammit the character I'm on needs that badge title.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 09:54:25 PM »
I'd keep it as a back up CoH reference for screen shots, etc...It's got bugs and it locks up my character walk.

But I wouldn't have a need to use it if CoH came back.
I prefer playing with friends.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 02:36:04 AM »
And, BTW gang, weren't we asking for an offline costume creator app? Lookie!

and that suit is still the most disturbing thing I've ever seen.

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Fescu

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 02:49:39 AM »

and that suit is still the most disturbing thing I've ever seen.

I read that comment three times before I finally figured out what you were talking about with the suit. I miss the old days when I would stand around in Atlas Park and watch people run by then do a double take as they'd see me.

By the way, another fun use for Icon that I've found is that you can alter your character's size or even remove parts altogether. I don't have access to the screenshots right now, but I will soon and I'll update this post just for you, JWBullfrog...

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 04:02:43 AM »

To the point where people were risking legal action by distributing the old Korean standalone creator, and attempting to hack it to add new parts that never quite worked right with the older engine.

So yeah, I think a few people would still use Icon just for the offline character creation. :)

sweatcake66

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 10:59:46 AM »
I know I will, It will be great when servers are down for maint. or some other reason that i may not gaet on line.