Author Topic: Badges and possible reset...  (Read 2966 times)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
Badges and possible reset...
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:55:08 PM »
Obviously, this is pure conjecture and a waste of time - but what if we get reset and have to reroll all our characters? With respect to badges, I'd assume that it would depend greatly on how the badges award - the exploration badges are a no-brainer. Go to a given locale, get a badge. Defeat badges are a no-brainer. Kill 'em and get it. But .. there are several categories of badges that will be hard to pin down. Think the game would reset for anniversary badges? If given account is active for a year after the relaunch, award 1st year anniversary badge - or would it award ..the 10 year badge?

I guess time will tell.

And, with @beefcake taking a hiatus from his website, does the Titan Network have a tie-in to vidiot maps? I'd hate to have to remove the fog from Perez Park and the shadow shard the hard way, lol.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
Re: Badges and possible reset...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 12:06:29 AM »
My guess is that they would probably start things like Anniversary badges from scratch since it would signify a fresh start with a new dev company.
If they did have access to old account info they might hand out a new "Those who have gone before" badge or something... and give the vet rewards too.
This would be regardless of if we got our characters back.

That's what I'd do anyway. It would allow new players to be in on the fun and give something back to the old ones too.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Dal

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 12:35:24 AM »
My guess is that they would probably start things like Anniversary badges from scratch since it would signify a fresh start with a new dev company.
If they did have access to old account info they might hand out a new "Those who have gone before" badge or something... and give the vet rewards too.
This would be regardless of if we got our characters back.

That's what I'd do anyway. It would allow new players to be in on the fun and give something back to the old ones too.
I'm thinking it would be something along those lines too. I hate to be that guy, but if the game does come back, I find a reset to be more likely than not, even if they get our old data back. Unless they really just want to leave CoH up for the sake of it while they develop a fresh start for CoH2. But even so, they'd still need to attract new players to help repay the value they spent on buying the license, and to fund further development. As much as I hate it, most of what we spent on CoH went to the NCSoft, not this new company.

There are other problems too, as in what to do with the huge amount of decade-long inactive taken names, how to redirect old characters into a lower amount of servers (which would likely be the case), among others. It's just been too long and there have been just too many changes for this to be simply resuming the old services. I'm not saying it's impossible, it just seems too complicated in comparison to starting all over. They'll likely hype this as a brand new start for everyone in an attempt to draw both veterans and new players.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 12:47:38 AM »
I'm thinking it would be something along those lines too. I hate to be that guy, but if the game does come back, I find a reset to be more likely than not, even if they get our old data back. Unless they really just want to leave CoH up for the sake of it while they develop a fresh start for CoH2. But even so, they'd still need to attract new players to help repay the value they spent on buying the license, and to fund further development. As much as I hate it, most of what we spent on CoH went to the NCSoft, not this new company.

There are other problems too, as in what to do with the huge amount of decade-long inactive taken names, how to redirect old characters into a lower amount of servers (which would likely be the case), among others. It's just been too long and there have been just too many changes for this to be simply resuming the old services. I'm not saying it's impossible, it just seems too complicated in comparison to starting all over. They'll likely hype this as a brand new start for everyone in an attempt to draw both veterans and new players.

I agree. But that's not really a bad thing.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 04:10:35 AM »
Maybe they should change the badge locations, to make the game fresher. ;)

...........I'll probably still have to rely on Taxibots :roll:

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 04:17:41 AM »
Maybe they should change the badge locations, to make the game fresher. ;)

NOOOOOOOoooooooooo......!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 05:32:16 AM »
And, with @beefcake taking a hiatus from his website, does the Titan Network have a tie-in to vidiot maps? I'd hate to have to remove the fog from Perez Park and the shadow shard the hard way, lol.
Blondeshell did the maps for the last few iterations of vidiotmaps anyway, so no loss there. He can do 'em for us!

EDIT: I mean, it's sad beefcake quit but his inactivity doesn't impact creating new maps.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 05:27:35 PM »
Hmm....at the risk of being a party-pooper, maybe we shouldn't have maps spelling things out for us. It made things so easy, anyone could get them. Maybe a little struggling would be good - at least in the first few months. I dunno. I never did do any "Pigg-diving". I suppose those who could/did would have a slight edge in the badging department.

Honestly, if the locations are in the same spots, I don't think I'd need the /loc, except in the new DA and Praetoria. I was such a merit hound, that I got those badges on each toon that could get them, if they were high enough level to access the zone. Free reward merits, yay!
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 04:17:20 AM »
Well, unless things have changed at this point it will be as it was sometime in September as that was when the image was taken. Making changes to the game may not be possible because of the lack of tools.

Anyway,

Why would it bother anyone if badging was made easier by using maps? It's not a secret club or anything. If you want it to be more difficult for you, just don't use them.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 12:14:45 PM »
Why would it bother anyone if badging was made easier by using maps? It's not a secret club or anything. If you want it to be more difficult for you, just don't use them.

Don't befuddle me with sound logic and reasoning! Just because I have some common sense doesn't mean I know how to use it properly!

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 04:18:56 PM »
Think the game would reset for anniversary badges? If given account is active for a year after the relaunch, award 1st year anniversary badge - or would it award ..the 10 year badge?

I guess time will tell.

I want to say that I both agree with Blondeshell's extended one-word feeling on changing badge locations, and understand TheDevilYouKnow's comments on the likely future development challenges and limitations with CoH1. The comments below are just hypothetical wishlist items of badge changes in my little dream world.

Anniversary badges:
Change them to Katie Hannon "Ten times the Victor" format, and perhaps even make them an account wide badge. In other words, for each additional year obtained the last badge is replaced with a new one, changing the badge name and icon to how many accumulative years they have. This will be fair both to the new players, as they will be able to attain the same badge count as old players, and give distinction to old players.

All other "once in a lifetime" type badges:
Eliminate them, or give some other way of obtaining them. I strongly feel that every player should have the same opportunity through skill, teamwork, and/or sheer determination to obtain all badges in the game. That being said, if a purchasing team dev does actually read this before CoH is up, ignore this and get the back to work!
*cracks the whip* ;)
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 04:19:10 PM »
Don't befuddle me with sound logic and reasoning! Just because I have some common sense doesn't mean I know how to use it properly!

Sorry! I 'll go back to nonsense at once!

I like pie. I have legs. Would you like a jelly baby?
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 04:25:27 PM »
Sorry! I 'll go back to nonsense at once!

I like pie. I have legs. Would you like a jelly baby?

It's a lie! That is not nonsense, all 3 of those references are from "The five doctors" episode of Doctor Who!
;)
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 04:25:45 PM »
How about just not counting them in badge totals? That way all the numbers will be on equal footing. The only way someone would know if you had them is if you brag or they bother to look at your badges.

This would allow them to offer fun one time badges that don't effect badge totals. I would be fine being able to get all that badges that add to the total because those are the only ones that you have control over.

You can't control whether you were an EU customer who started on the US servers and got the passport badge when they moved you to the EU servers ,but the exploration badges you certainly can control.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »
It's a lie! That is not nonsense, all 3 of those references are from "The five doctors" episode of Doctor Who!
;)

I do lie a lot. It makes the unpleasant truths go down so much more easily.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 04:29:30 PM »
How about just not counting them in badge totals? That way all the numbers will be on equal footing. The only way someone would know if you had them is if you brag or they bother to look at your badges.

This would allow them to offer fun one time badges that don't effect badge totals. I would be fine being able to get all that badges that add to the total because those are the only ones that you have control over.

You can't control whether you were an EU customer who started on the US servers and got the passport badge when they moved you to the EU servers ,but the exploration badges you certainly can control.

Produces the same effect, and would most likely be a lot easier to code.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server