Author Topic: Teaming and Supergroups  (Read 4793 times)

Ultraamann

• Minion
Re: Teaming and Supergroups
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
I spent the vast majority of my time soloing.  Just my nature.  I liked grinding out the things that I wanted to do.

When it came to TFs, trials, and when I was feeling a tad more sociable, my first call out was always to my SG.  After that, to a channel of our allied SGs, and after that, I'd throw it out to the more public channels.  I'd generally end up with about half friends and SG mates, and about half PUG players.

I always enjoyed the PUGs, mostly because my one rule of teaming is: take anyone who wants to come, any toon type, any archetypes, any powersets (except Demon Summoners, because f*ck them).  I never ever tried to construct "ideal" teams.  Bring what you want, and we'll make it work.  People were often grateful to get the chance to use some of their less popular characters, and it led to making some great in-game friends.

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 06:11:40 AM »
Even when it came to iTrials, I didn't like playing with people I didn't know... which is why I was so fond of the set-up we had on Liberty, with the LB "usual suspects" and the Ouphs. The channel regulars, who I knew, were enough to fill the majority of spots in those leagues. If there were a few strangers, that was fine. As long as I was familiar with most of the people there, I was reasonably comfortable.

There's no way I could have done trial or TF content with my SG. FlyingCodeMonkey and I were the only members of the Elysion, and he had Bask and Prince in there pretty much only to invite my alts when I made one.  ;D

As for regular-sized teams, I was never really comfortable with them no matter who was involved (I preferred either the huge leagues or solo/small-team play-), so even running with people I knew wasn't high on the fun scale. Running with strangers? That was even worse. It was all the stress of a "known" team, plus an extra layer of "Oh, god. Who are these people?" on top of it.   
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:19:28 AM by Brightfires »
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »
I wasn't opposed to teaming but I didn't like to wait on finding a team.If after 5 min of looking , I still didn't have a team then it was time to play the lone wolf.By the end my sg had dried up and all the people I knew had stopped playing.

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 09:48:40 PM »
The great thing about teams is that the player finder was really useful.  You could write in a short description of yourself and post your preferences.

I also used to do my own sort of advertisement in global.  I believe, for Sajaana, I said something like this:

"Single, white, female corruptor ISO mission group.  Has teleport, heal, speed boost, nice legs and a charming personality."

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 12:22:08 AM »
My 1st SG was cool, we teamed often. However, that was 2007.
It dwindled slowly and then I was the sole owner...I couldn't bring myself to let it go until the game was shut down.
Nostalgia I guess.

I didn't meet very successful SG's afterwards...Or I didn't exert myself looking. :P
I always answered invites by Heroes that appealed to me....They came more often when I got a name for myself as a decent Healer.
....I never liked solo-ing.  :roll:

MattTreck

• Minion
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 12:45:20 AM »
I mainly found pugs via chat. I never accepted blind invites as they pretty much always ended badly.

SG teaming happened, but it seemed like I was very rarely apart of a highly active SG. I think the only one I remember was very active that i was in was Helmet Heroes. Wow that has been a long time.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 03:24:37 AM »
Even when it came to iTrials, I didn't like playing with people I didn't know... which is why I was so fond of the set-up we had on Liberty, with the LB "usual suspects" and the Ouphs.

I rather enjoyed the Ouphs. A very relaxed, easy-going group for the most part. I also enjoyed "the usual suspects". Most were exceptional players, with a few slightly better than average players thrown in for kicks and grins.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 05:40:31 PM »
I played late at night so PUGS. I actually had a ton of fun when I did team with fun far, far outweighing "WTF did you just do"?
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 10:29:20 PM »
I played late at night so PUGS. I actually had a ton of fun when I did team with fun far, far outweighing "WTF did you just do"?

But those "WTF did you just do?" Moments were some of the most fun :)

OK well maybe after the fact.  During it was "are you an idiot?"
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 09:22:54 PM »
I primarily soloed but if someone broadcasts looking for help I would offer to join in.  All the SGs I belonged too either evaporated or was my solo base.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

DragonCommando

• Minion
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »
I was almost ever soloing, or playing a duo with my brother, for TFs and ITrials I used mostly private channels, but I had my share of PUGs and most of the time it wasn't a problem, since most players were surprisingly good.

Remember a PUG Synapse that I formed with 6 controllers, a blaster and a Brute, one player was worried cause "we didn't have enough damage" and a Tank, lol, we steamrolled the TF and no one faceplanted, it was too much controls and buffs/debuffs... and a PUG ITF, on Champion, with 4 stalkers and a troller (or a fender can't remember now), well this time we didn't steamrolled, but in the end we did defeat Romulus.

Dal

• Minion
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 04:08:22 PM »
I mostly joined pick-up groups. Sometimes it was really bad, sometimes it was a good surprise. The bad thing was when people simply vanished in the middle of missions or when we couldn't find anyone to fill a group slot.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »
I use to host TF's and advertise on the chat channels I took all builds and never worried if we had this or that dark defender lets role scrapper with taunt aura for tank lets role I mean what ever build and who ever showed up that was the team

Young Tutor

• Minion
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 09:37:42 PM »
Like others, I mainly used my friends list and global chat channels for teaming and would join whatever PUG someone was forming. Between iTrials, mothership raids, and other activities, you'd get to know the regulars. I played mainly on Victory, so other servers might have been different.