Author Topic: City of Heroes PvP - Last Stand... or is it?  (Read 17008 times)

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
Re: City of Heroes PvP - Last Stand... or is it?
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 02:27:43 PM »
I'm not too optimistic about CoH coming back. I think there are too many obstacles at this point. But if it does, could they maybe roll back the PvP changes to issue 12? :)
I'm all for PvP rollback pre I13!!  I really miss the BB days :(  BB was always packed!!

Lava-Lad

• Minion
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »

On topic, PvP's biggest problem (other than i13) was the community. I've played a lot of PvP games, and I have to say, CoH's PvP community was by far the worst I ever saw. It's like 99% of it was 10 year old trolls with no life. There was so much elitism, it was sickening. So much trash talk, and very few people that would take even a minute to educate someone on how to get better. It felt like people were truly proud of themselves if they could own someone so bad that he never PvP'd again.... like they wanted to have LESS competition. And the holier than thou attitude from the top PvP SG's? Just hilarious, considering they were "competing" in a MMO where everything was based on a random number generator.

Anyone out there remember Twixt, the professor who was running "social experiments" without consent in PvP?  He was a good example of what was wrong with PvP implementation.  Some folks were in the zone, but didn't want to be active in PvP, while others took a different view and thought if you were there, no holds barred.

No real point, just thought of that pancake bag while reading this.  I still think about showing up to his office (in the same spirit that he engaged us...friendly experimentation) now and then.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 08:03:15 PM »
A Rollback to Issue 12 pvp will not happen. We will be getting pvp as it was when the game closed down. To roll back to Issue 12 pvp would require a lot of time invested into CoH1 mechanics...when the focus will be on creating CoH2.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 08:14:18 PM »
Dumbest thing about pvp post-I13 was movement suppression after clicking a buff / heal.

Oh look, a target!  I'm gonna get him with my hold.  Then pound on him.

Pursue.  In range!  Powerboost!

Wait... wtf... why am I moving so slow?  Oh no, he's out of range.  Crap.  PB expired.  Where'd he go?

BLAM.

Hospital visit.

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 09:41:19 PM »
I loved...absolutely loved...PvP before the big PvP changes.  It was intuitive.  It didn't require two builds.  It was easy to understand.

Then Cryptic broke PvP and left before they could fix it.

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 01:22:08 PM »
Anyone out there remember Twixt, the professor who was running "social experiments" without consent in PvP?  He was a good example of what was wrong with PvP implementation.  Some folks were in the zone, but didn't want to be active in PvP, while others took a different view and thought if you were there, no holds barred.

No real point, just thought of that pancake bag while reading this.  I still think about showing up to his office (in the same spirit that he engaged us...friendly experimentation) now and then.

Remember, you can do anything you like to harass and annoy him, and he can't object as long as you don't actually violate the laws of physics.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »
This guy was a griefer and there is almost no chance that he was a professor of anything except griefing.

An actual academic study that involved you would not be done without your consent. To be published in a peer reviewed journal, his data would have to be able to be validated. This is done by collecting personal data from a consent form allowing him to use the information in his study.

There is one exception, if that was a study where you were not meant to know you were being studied. In which case he would not announce that he was studying you without consent. But, even this would need to be consented to by the company hosting the game (NCSoft).

But this kind of trolling and griefing is exactly why I don't do PvP in CoH or anywhere else. The only game there are interested in playing with is you.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 06:20:20 PM »

Play and Punishment: The Sad and Curious Case of Twixt

http://www.sirlin.net/storage/post-images/Myers_PlayPunishment_031508.pdf

I actually found Twixt's behavior funny more so because of the reaction the players would exhibit in response. His behavior/method while not against the rules of the actual game...often elicited actual rule infractions by the players...many of whom threatened to kill him in real life (over a game..really?). Twixt didn't bother me, but I did turn broadcast chat off in my chat tab for pvp because the pure adolescent language and behavior was reprehensible to me. If you wanted to see adults and young adults act in the worst way possible; language wise...visit RV. The misogyny and homophobia in broadcast chat was a HUGE turn off to many pvp players I hung out with who simply ignored broadcast after the first few times being in RV.

Supermax

• Minion
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 06:34:20 PM »
I found this...

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/loyola_university_professor_be.html

Hilarious. Like 99% of the article is completely made up. Stuff like "Twixt proved difficult to beat" or "But no one could stay alive long enough to defeat Twixt or drive him to quit". Are you kidding me? The guy didn't even attempt to PvP. He was one of the absolute worst players around and had no chance of winning a single fight. All he did was drone people, but there were like 100 others doing the same thing. The only difference is he spent 100% of his free time doing it.

I said it back then, and I'll say it again. Loyola University is a joke of a university if they hired this fool. What he did was borderline illegal. What if he drove some 12 year old kid to suicide from his constant bullying? Yeah, we'll never know. But he should have been fired. This is not the type of person I would want to teach my children.

What he did can be likened to going to a basketball court in a public park, where a bunch of people are playing a friendly game of basketball...and then proceeding to call them names, throwing dirt and pouring water all over the court, slapping the ball away from them, and just doing everything in your power to ruin their experience. And then saying "well hey, I'm not doing anything illegal!" And then the kicker.....going on to write a book about how "crazy" it is that when you act like a piece of shit excuse for a human being, people end up not liking you. Yeah, that's some deep shit, Twixt.

Seriously, how does a person like that have a job as a professor?

(Oh and this is coming from someone that killed him many, many times, and didn't get killed by him a single time, ever.)

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 07:20:55 PM »

Play and Punishment: The Sad and Curious Case of Twixt

http://www.sirlin.net/storage/post-images/Myers_PlayPunishment_031508.pdf

I actually found Twixt's behavior funny more so because of the reaction the players would exhibit in response. His behavior/method while not against the rules of the actual game...often elicited actual rule infractions by the players...many of whom threatened to kill him in real life (over a game..really?). Twixt didn't bother me, but I did turn broadcast chat off in my chat tab for pvp because the pure adolescent language and behavior was reprehensible to me. If you wanted to see adults and young adults act in the worst way possible; language wise...visit RV. The misogyny and homophobia in broadcast chat was a HUGE turn off to many pvp players I hung out with who simply ignored broadcast after the first few times being in RV.
I agree that the language in RV was a bit "wild" (Freedom server here).  I usually hung out in BB pre I13 and then SC so I did not run into Twixt (heard of him though).  I went to RV for the badges, but always got a laugh or shake of the head reading chat.  Twixt definitely was not the the only one drone killing and griefing.  It helped to remember that it was (is) still a game and you really cannot control what others do, but the griefing did get old at times :gonk: 

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2014, 08:35:25 PM »
Huh. So this guy was actually a professor.

What was he trying to find out? That if you violate the norms of a society you will not be beloved? It seems from the article, he just didn't like the Heroes and Villains talking instead of fighting. The link in the article is dead so did anyone actually read this paper to see what he was trying to prove?

PS. I have to ask. Why didn't they just drone him constantly every time he came on? Would have been appropriate and maybe he would understand why people hated his tactics.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

energizingion

• Minion
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2014, 09:17:46 PM »
I never cared for PvP in the game since it seemed like everyone had the same build(s) and nothing else (unless they were doing a team vs match).  But again, it seemed like everyone had to have SS, CJ and SJ and Hasten. 

Anyways, I think the devs did too many changes before the one thing that should have been first.  When they finally added the ability to have multiple builds per character, I think that is what should have been done first and then worry about any power changes (beyond exploits of course).  That way, I could have my main have a PvE build and a PvP build.  Of course, working out some way to have the INF to buy or get the IOs needed to make that build work was another thing.  Maybe had it coded so that you couldn't use a certain build unless you were in a pvp zone; that way you could just have a 'shop' that sold all IOs and gave people an equal footing.  *shrugs*

Of course the main thing, for me, beyond the builds is the fact that there should have been a place for objective-based PvP.  Not just "me vs you" but capture the flag, control the point/hill, etc...That way it isn't so much based off a build.

I'm rambling now...

Nealix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 12:55:21 AM »
With all of the talk about the games possible return, it got me digging up old frap files I had stored away on my hard drive. It really made me think about all of the good times I had playing PvE as well as PvP.

I know PvP wasn't a huge part of the game. In fact it was generally frowned upon and for most people forgotten. But me, I loved it.

So for old times sake, I slapped together a couple of videos with some salvageable gameplay that I never used.

My Stalker Hyper Stealth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_PEe0WB1FU

My Tank Hyper Ai:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqQtHGkoCMo

Hopefully these wont be the last videos I post. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some new gameplay to record in the near future.

CoH had PVP? jkg

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 01:25:09 AM »
With all of the talk about the games possible return, it got me digging up old frap files I had stored away on my hard drive. It really made me think about all of the good times I had playing PvE as well as PvP.

I know PvP wasn't a huge part of the game. In fact it was generally frowned upon and for most people forgotten. But me, I loved it.

So for old times sake, I slapped together a couple of videos with some salvageable gameplay that I never used.

My Stalker Hyper Stealth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_PEe0WB1FU

My Tank Hyper Ai:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqQtHGkoCMo

Hopefully these wont be the last videos I post. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some new gameplay to record in the near future.

I have to say, if my pvp battles had lasted as long as yours did against "Killer Regen" (from the first video) I'd have probably enjoyed it more.
I had a couple/few friends in game that really enjoyed it. However, some of them got into it with some other friends and next thing ya know, there were three sets of friends, each group upset with the other two - so much so, that they wouldn't team up in iTrial action years later. Seems kind of silly now - well, it was silly back then, but many people mistake passion for immaturity, and others mistake kindness for weakness, blah, blah.

But, before issue 13, I really liked pvp when I was in the mood for it. Stalkers really bugged me, particularly when I couldn't see them unless I had clear mind from @sinala, my favorite emp of all time. (On an aside, anyone know her? She quit playing sometime after issue 13, never did see her in game again. ) :(

Energizing Ion is right, I think. If the multiple builds had been done first, I think CoH could have recovered from the silly pvp "fix".
Yet, in this case, even hindsight isn't 20/20. We'll never know for sure.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

zanderscotx

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »
I missed the I13 update I stopped playing a few months before that because of  a new born. .  I started  reading up on coh after I herd on the revival that might come. I 13 looks like a disaster on paper. It looks like they sucked all the fun out.

I never played a stalker but I see why people got upset but there was always a counter. Eventually people started building  stalker hunters. My main was a inv/SS tank and ya they got me off guard once or twice but most of the time I would brush it off and Knock them Out. Brutes and I would love going 1on 1 under the atles globe. With the changes I dont see tanks being viable anymore =(

The real reason I came to post on here was this professor guy people were talking about I dont know him or have even fought him. I did read on another forum (doing searches for pvp changes in coh) that this guy was tp people to there death ( npc agro) as a social experiment. 

I see that as cheap because it wasnt his own abilities but  I founded somthing like that in 2005-2006 with a Merc/traps . I usually was on top of the globe in one of 2 zones. I would set up 5-10 mines( forgot limit) and caltops.  The range only permitted a small window under the globe to tp foe it took patients but it was so gratifying to taking out tanks,scrapper and whoever came into your window. Was it a  win maybe but it was 5 mins of setup and sometime 15 min of waiting. lt was by far the most gratifying,.

Most memorable Tank survived initial mine explosions. Serum comando then detonate him = bliss

Another time a regenration scrapper survived and somehow got into flight got a few meters away then spec ops sniped at the same time and like the movies fell to the ground.

I miss things like that, because it eventually became capture the hill they would bring more friends and I would hold the globe as long as I could but once I lost it to numbers I usually couldnt take it back solo with no setup. It sure did take alot to get me to move though.  Those are the memories I missed, I dont believe I griefed people because I was always polite to rude coments and Merc were regarded as the worst MM class. It was patients and knowledge of coh game mech and unlike a stalker everyone knew where I was after the first tp. 

Also the best fights usually  make you the best  friends because you always ask "how you do that."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:35:28 PM by zanderscotx »

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 01:36:20 AM »
Pre-i13 I had fun in Siren's Call with my FF/Sonic defender and Ice/Stone tank.  Then I just stopped messing with it.

I'd always intended to go back into PvP and AS villains with my hero stalker but never got around to it.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

zanderscotx

• Underling
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »
http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/loyola_university_professor_be.html

So I found this article today who explains that professor. It made me laff so hard. No one on his server  could figure out  how to kill him. He just used tp foe , you could chain tp him away to a death or even solo do what I did mine up a area in stealth with a buddy and tp him to you. I wish now I didnt pick infinity I would have loved playing against him. People who cant understand how to think outside the box  and instead revert to verbal abuse is a funny  but real mental curiosity especially when you relise the average age of coh was 24. I wonder if he used the police drones or the walkers in the zone.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2014, 12:30:46 AM »
He droned by the hospitals and TP'd people into mobs that would attack them.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Bleed

• Underling
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 06:44:22 AM »

rojahdom

• Underling
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 12:36:40 PM »
WOW HYPER AI, long time , aka E Equals Excalibur