Author Topic: City of Heroes PvP - Last Stand... or is it?  (Read 17044 times)

Hyper Ai

• Underling
City of Heroes PvP - Last Stand... or is it?
« on: July 19, 2014, 11:33:43 PM »
With all of the talk about the games possible return, it got me digging up old frap files I had stored away on my hard drive. It really made me think about all of the good times I had playing PvE as well as PvP.

I know PvP wasn't a huge part of the game. In fact it was generally frowned upon and for most people forgotten. But me, I loved it.

So for old times sake, I slapped together a couple of videos with some salvageable gameplay that I never used.

My Stalker Hyper Stealth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_PEe0WB1FU

My Tank Hyper Ai:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqQtHGkoCMo

Hopefully these wont be the last videos I post. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some new gameplay to record in the near future.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
Re: City of Heroes PvP - Last Stand... or is it?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 12:48:54 AM »
PvP never captured my attention.

It seemed to focus on a few ATs and powersets that held all the cards and everyone else was left hanging out to dry.

I guess it was fine if that was your focus, but it just never grabbed me.

Yet, when the games comes back I intend to explore it more thoroughly.  ;)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:56:44 AM »
Eh, PVP was fun before i13.

Post i13? Lolno.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 01:05:33 AM »
PvP never captured my attention.

It seemed to focus on a few ATs and powersets that held all the cards and everyone else was left hanging out to dry.

I guess it was fine if that was your focus, but it just never grabbed me.

Yet, when the games comes back I intend to explore it more thoroughly.  ;)

It did focus on some powersets, and others were hung out to dry.

But if you think about it, PvP is highly challenging content (heh)... I don't recall hearing much complaining that many powersets are hung out to dry when it comes to other difficult challenges like soloing AVs, high-speed farming, tanking some TFs, etc. Only in PvP did players expect to take whatever character they happened to have, and have it perform as well as any other powerset combination. If you asked them to do that against AVs, they would (rightly) say that not all powersets are equally good at all tasks, and it's reasonable for their Mind Control/Kinetic to be unable to solo AVs. Or Plant/Empath. Or Ice/Fire Tanker. Etc.

Yes, PvP was largely a game of haves and have-nots, but they put in a lot of work to make it so that an Ice/Energy Blaster without a ton of purples was not totally outmatched by the same build loaded with expensive IOs, and frankly, that's about the best that we could hope for.

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 01:51:24 AM »
I didn't get into PvP until the last few months before the closure. It was in Recluse's Victory and I really enjoyed it, even though I got murdered. That's the only way to put it...murdered. Those villains and their maxed out regen ways! When the game returns I will give it another try....I'll bring my own body chalk for you to use.
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 01:55:20 AM »
Oh boy I remember when I thought energy melee was awesome because it was my highest level.

then i learned people thought it was stupid

Hyper Ai

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 02:33:01 AM »
I played PvP quite often. I still liked to PvE with my friends, but a good round in RV was very satisfying. The PvP change almost turned me away from it completely since my PvP builds were all gimped, but I learned to adapt and still managed to have fun.

Oh boy I remember when I thought energy melee was awesome because it was my highest level.

then i learned people thought it was stupid

Energy Melee was truly awesome at one time. Energy transfer was just plain nasty. A little too nasty... and then came the "fix". And I use the word fix loosely. It was a little too extreme if you ask me. It worked for stalkers since they were already high damage dealers, but it was a little too much for my Inv/EM tank. I almost completely stopped playing it after the fix.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 04:31:23 AM »
Towards the later half of my CoH lifetime, I started spending more and more time in the various PvP zones (until the last two-three years...), but I never built my characters strictly for PvP.

I tried many times to get my SG to join in, sometimes successful, other times not. We even had an internal SG PvP ranking ladder (with yearly "seasons" to determine that year's "champion") that I helped run for a stretch (the league was started by one of the SG's officers, I was promoted and took over for a while when he couldn't, then I passed the torch on to someone else when RL prevented me from attending to the task), and it was fun to do if only slightly tricky to manage the 30-40 characters on it (mostly alts, there were only about 15-16 or so players interested total at the highest peak population). Once I even put together a short music video featuring some various clips of my SG duking it out in the Arena, though I never uploaded it to Youtube or anything like that (I might still have the video laying around somewhere, but it's so dated I'm not sure it's worth uploading now... I recorded it in like 2007-2008ish I think...?)...

To me, PvP was something that could be fun once you got past or even avoided the people with the "super extreme min/max IO" builds/playstyles. Granted open PvP zones sometimes made that difficult, but you could easily trim down the headaches by doing it through the Arena with people you knew(which did help a lot if you were not a seasoned veteran at it and needed someone to practice with or test out builds on).

I started loosing interest towards the end long after all the PvP changes had firmly taken hold, and I would go to any of the various PvP zones and only find 1-2 other people in it. The fun just wasn't there anymore when you only had maybe one guy to fight and he consistently whooped your butt because he had significantly better (and more expensive) IOs, and the other guy in the zone didn't want to PvP because he was farming NPCs for IOs (else, badge farming by taking over the Capsules...)... Of course, Victory Server was always leaning towards the "lol PvP" side of things, so that right there might have been a bigger factor for why the zones eventually died out of activity, but the server was my home so I wasn't about to just jump over to a different server; it wouldn't have been the same...

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 04:59:10 AM »
I didn't do PvP but I had a friend that stone cold loved it. His favorite part of the game. For his sake I hope that when we get the game back there are enough people to gather on at least one server for PvP.

I actually did try PvP and it wasn't losing to tricked out Uber builds that put me off. Without even an Uber PvP build I won a few times. It was the constant trash talk and the offensive language. It was too much sexual and even racial hate for me to put up with in something I do for fun.

He assured me that it was all part of PvP and wasn't personal. He was probably right, but I had too much fun PvE to put with that kind of nonsense in PvP.

But I honestly hope that it makes a comeback because I know they some people loved it and miss it.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 05:39:15 AM »
Agge got several levels in her 40s out of Recluse's Victory. She would hang out in RV, plinking Arachnos and taking pillboxes, until a Villain would come by and attempt to kill her. Then my Heavy would unload on them out of nowhere cos I had used Grant Invisibility on it. XD I got many a curse over the course of a couple weeks!
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Reiraku

• Boss

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 06:34:09 PM »
Energy Melee was truly awesome at one time. Energy transfer was just plain nasty. A little too nasty... and then came the "fix". And I use the word fix loosely. It was a little too extreme if you ask me. It worked for stalkers since they were already high damage dealers, but it was a little too much for my Inv/EM tank. I almost completely stopped playing it after the fix.

Yeah, the fix for PvP completely broke the feeling of my first level 50 Brute s badly that she was unplayable to me in PvE.

Almost all my PvP experience was pre-I13, which I thought was okay. It was fun going lulzno at every Stalker that tried to gank me, because my main at the time was a Spines/Regen scrapper.

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »

My main was an Inv/EM tank. I played him up until the end. He was a beast in PvE, but was a mess in PvP. I took a lot of pillboxes, but I don't think he ever beat anyone. I know I went to the hospital...A LOT. 
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 02:25:48 AM »
Yeah, the fix for PvP completely broke the feeling of my first level 50 Brute s badly that she was unplayable to me in PvE.

Almost all my PvP experience was pre-I13, which I thought was okay. It was fun going lulzno at every Stalker that tried to gank me, because my main at the time was a Spines/Regen scrapper.

It wasn't really a fix for PvP. ET was broken by design, just as Psychic Shockwave was, in every aspect of the game. Considering how much of a disadvantage melee was in PvP, it makes a lot more sense that it would be fixed due to its overpowered nature in PvE. The problem is they didn't do much for the set after that.

And I loved /Regen scrappers on my stalker pre-i13. Unless they had DP up, it was a done deal for them.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 02:46:06 AM »
I never got into PvP much- in this or any game- but I will say, that if there is any game in which PvP makes sense, it's in the City of Heroes/City of Villains world.

If the game gets revived, I wouldn't mind seeing a different sort of implementation of PvP, though- perhaps something like a Co-op of the Mayhem/Safeguard Missions, where the villains are trying to pull off their various Mayhem antics (robbing banks, destroying things) while the heroes are trying to counter their antics. Something that might be a bit more involved than just fighting.

Recluse's Victory is probably the closest existing content to what I'm envisioning, although even that isn't quite as far as I'd like to see it taken.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 04:27:26 AM »
Just going to chime in here and say that any changes to PvP will have to be in CoH2 in all likelihood. Unless something changes (and it could) we are probably getting I24 in maintenance mode without the tools necessary to make changes to the code.

But that doesn't mean that there will be no PvP just that it will be the same as when the game closed.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Supermax

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 09:41:15 PM »
Hyper! What's up man. Not sure if you remember me, but I played with (and against) you all the time in RV. Your tank and stalker were always some of the toughest opponents.

On topic, PvP's biggest problem (other than i13) was the community. I've played a lot of PvP games, and I have to say, CoH's PvP community was by far the worst I ever saw. It's like 99% of it was 10 year old trolls with no life. There was so much elitism, it was sickening. So much trash talk, and very few people that would take even a minute to educate someone on how to get better. It felt like people were truly proud of themselves if they could own someone so bad that he never PvP'd again.... like they wanted to have LESS competition. And the holier than thou attitude from the top PvP SG's? Just hilarious, considering they were "competing" in a MMO where everything was based on a random number generator.

I'm not too optimistic about CoH coming back. I think there are too many obstacles at this point. But if it does, could they maybe roll back the PvP changes to issue 12? :)

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 10:48:28 PM »
I actually loved pvp, but very few people knew of/about me in the pvp community. I never participated in any of the leagues etc because of the trash talking etc. My main pvp toon was an NrG/Ele stalker. I was mainly an RV pvper. I used to run with some friends who did pvp very casually... we ran a team of 4 elect/storm corruptors... that was always fun :)

I am already working on my builds for pve and pvp toons in Mids in anticipation of the game returning. Basically tweaking my stalker and my earth/fire dom.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 07:04:57 AM »
I tried PvP after a friend egged me over and over.....>sigh<

So we tried a session...After knocking each other around and going nowhere, we got bored.

We decided to play in Recluse's Victory whenever we wanted the excitement of being in a danger zone. It was like PvP as a team instead of one on one.
..More fun to us anyway.

I did hear some folks used PvP to blow off steam, rants, arguments....or personal vendettas.

Hyper Ai

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 02:06:57 PM »
Hyper! What's up man. Not sure if you remember me, but I played with (and against) you all the time in RV. Your tank and stalker were always some of the toughest opponents.

Whats up man! I definitely remember you from the PvP forums as well as zone. Good to hear from you again.

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 02:27:43 PM »
I'm not too optimistic about CoH coming back. I think there are too many obstacles at this point. But if it does, could they maybe roll back the PvP changes to issue 12? :)
I'm all for PvP rollback pre I13!!  I really miss the BB days :(  BB was always packed!!

Lava-Lad

• Minion
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »

On topic, PvP's biggest problem (other than i13) was the community. I've played a lot of PvP games, and I have to say, CoH's PvP community was by far the worst I ever saw. It's like 99% of it was 10 year old trolls with no life. There was so much elitism, it was sickening. So much trash talk, and very few people that would take even a minute to educate someone on how to get better. It felt like people were truly proud of themselves if they could own someone so bad that he never PvP'd again.... like they wanted to have LESS competition. And the holier than thou attitude from the top PvP SG's? Just hilarious, considering they were "competing" in a MMO where everything was based on a random number generator.

Anyone out there remember Twixt, the professor who was running "social experiments" without consent in PvP?  He was a good example of what was wrong with PvP implementation.  Some folks were in the zone, but didn't want to be active in PvP, while others took a different view and thought if you were there, no holds barred.

No real point, just thought of that pancake bag while reading this.  I still think about showing up to his office (in the same spirit that he engaged us...friendly experimentation) now and then.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 08:03:15 PM »
A Rollback to Issue 12 pvp will not happen. We will be getting pvp as it was when the game closed down. To roll back to Issue 12 pvp would require a lot of time invested into CoH1 mechanics...when the focus will be on creating CoH2.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 08:14:18 PM »
Dumbest thing about pvp post-I13 was movement suppression after clicking a buff / heal.

Oh look, a target!  I'm gonna get him with my hold.  Then pound on him.

Pursue.  In range!  Powerboost!

Wait... wtf... why am I moving so slow?  Oh no, he's out of range.  Crap.  PB expired.  Where'd he go?

BLAM.

Hospital visit.

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 09:41:19 PM »
I loved...absolutely loved...PvP before the big PvP changes.  It was intuitive.  It didn't require two builds.  It was easy to understand.

Then Cryptic broke PvP and left before they could fix it.

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 01:22:08 PM »
Anyone out there remember Twixt, the professor who was running "social experiments" without consent in PvP?  He was a good example of what was wrong with PvP implementation.  Some folks were in the zone, but didn't want to be active in PvP, while others took a different view and thought if you were there, no holds barred.

No real point, just thought of that pancake bag while reading this.  I still think about showing up to his office (in the same spirit that he engaged us...friendly experimentation) now and then.

Remember, you can do anything you like to harass and annoy him, and he can't object as long as you don't actually violate the laws of physics.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »
This guy was a griefer and there is almost no chance that he was a professor of anything except griefing.

An actual academic study that involved you would not be done without your consent. To be published in a peer reviewed journal, his data would have to be able to be validated. This is done by collecting personal data from a consent form allowing him to use the information in his study.

There is one exception, if that was a study where you were not meant to know you were being studied. In which case he would not announce that he was studying you without consent. But, even this would need to be consented to by the company hosting the game (NCSoft).

But this kind of trolling and griefing is exactly why I don't do PvP in CoH or anywhere else. The only game there are interested in playing with is you.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 06:20:20 PM »

Play and Punishment: The Sad and Curious Case of Twixt

http://www.sirlin.net/storage/post-images/Myers_PlayPunishment_031508.pdf

I actually found Twixt's behavior funny more so because of the reaction the players would exhibit in response. His behavior/method while not against the rules of the actual game...often elicited actual rule infractions by the players...many of whom threatened to kill him in real life (over a game..really?). Twixt didn't bother me, but I did turn broadcast chat off in my chat tab for pvp because the pure adolescent language and behavior was reprehensible to me. If you wanted to see adults and young adults act in the worst way possible; language wise...visit RV. The misogyny and homophobia in broadcast chat was a HUGE turn off to many pvp players I hung out with who simply ignored broadcast after the first few times being in RV.

Supermax

• Minion
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 06:34:20 PM »
I found this...

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/loyola_university_professor_be.html

Hilarious. Like 99% of the article is completely made up. Stuff like "Twixt proved difficult to beat" or "But no one could stay alive long enough to defeat Twixt or drive him to quit". Are you kidding me? The guy didn't even attempt to PvP. He was one of the absolute worst players around and had no chance of winning a single fight. All he did was drone people, but there were like 100 others doing the same thing. The only difference is he spent 100% of his free time doing it.

I said it back then, and I'll say it again. Loyola University is a joke of a university if they hired this fool. What he did was borderline illegal. What if he drove some 12 year old kid to suicide from his constant bullying? Yeah, we'll never know. But he should have been fired. This is not the type of person I would want to teach my children.

What he did can be likened to going to a basketball court in a public park, where a bunch of people are playing a friendly game of basketball...and then proceeding to call them names, throwing dirt and pouring water all over the court, slapping the ball away from them, and just doing everything in your power to ruin their experience. And then saying "well hey, I'm not doing anything illegal!" And then the kicker.....going on to write a book about how "crazy" it is that when you act like a piece of shit excuse for a human being, people end up not liking you. Yeah, that's some deep shit, Twixt.

Seriously, how does a person like that have a job as a professor?

(Oh and this is coming from someone that killed him many, many times, and didn't get killed by him a single time, ever.)

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 07:20:55 PM »

Play and Punishment: The Sad and Curious Case of Twixt

http://www.sirlin.net/storage/post-images/Myers_PlayPunishment_031508.pdf

I actually found Twixt's behavior funny more so because of the reaction the players would exhibit in response. His behavior/method while not against the rules of the actual game...often elicited actual rule infractions by the players...many of whom threatened to kill him in real life (over a game..really?). Twixt didn't bother me, but I did turn broadcast chat off in my chat tab for pvp because the pure adolescent language and behavior was reprehensible to me. If you wanted to see adults and young adults act in the worst way possible; language wise...visit RV. The misogyny and homophobia in broadcast chat was a HUGE turn off to many pvp players I hung out with who simply ignored broadcast after the first few times being in RV.
I agree that the language in RV was a bit "wild" (Freedom server here).  I usually hung out in BB pre I13 and then SC so I did not run into Twixt (heard of him though).  I went to RV for the badges, but always got a laugh or shake of the head reading chat.  Twixt definitely was not the the only one drone killing and griefing.  It helped to remember that it was (is) still a game and you really cannot control what others do, but the griefing did get old at times :gonk: 

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2014, 08:35:25 PM »
Huh. So this guy was actually a professor.

What was he trying to find out? That if you violate the norms of a society you will not be beloved? It seems from the article, he just didn't like the Heroes and Villains talking instead of fighting. The link in the article is dead so did anyone actually read this paper to see what he was trying to prove?

PS. I have to ask. Why didn't they just drone him constantly every time he came on? Would have been appropriate and maybe he would understand why people hated his tactics.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

energizingion

• Minion
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2014, 09:17:46 PM »
I never cared for PvP in the game since it seemed like everyone had the same build(s) and nothing else (unless they were doing a team vs match).  But again, it seemed like everyone had to have SS, CJ and SJ and Hasten. 

Anyways, I think the devs did too many changes before the one thing that should have been first.  When they finally added the ability to have multiple builds per character, I think that is what should have been done first and then worry about any power changes (beyond exploits of course).  That way, I could have my main have a PvE build and a PvP build.  Of course, working out some way to have the INF to buy or get the IOs needed to make that build work was another thing.  Maybe had it coded so that you couldn't use a certain build unless you were in a pvp zone; that way you could just have a 'shop' that sold all IOs and gave people an equal footing.  *shrugs*

Of course the main thing, for me, beyond the builds is the fact that there should have been a place for objective-based PvP.  Not just "me vs you" but capture the flag, control the point/hill, etc...That way it isn't so much based off a build.

I'm rambling now...

Nealix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 12:55:21 AM »
With all of the talk about the games possible return, it got me digging up old frap files I had stored away on my hard drive. It really made me think about all of the good times I had playing PvE as well as PvP.

I know PvP wasn't a huge part of the game. In fact it was generally frowned upon and for most people forgotten. But me, I loved it.

So for old times sake, I slapped together a couple of videos with some salvageable gameplay that I never used.

My Tank Hyper Ai:

Hopefully these wont be the last videos I post. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some new gameplay to record in the near future.

CoH had PVP? jkg

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 01:25:09 AM »

My Tank Hyper Ai:

I have to say, if my pvp battles had lasted as long as yours did against "Killer Regen" (from the first video) I'd have probably enjoyed it more.
I had a couple/few friends in game that really enjoyed it. However, some of them got into it with some other friends and next thing ya know, there were three sets of friends, each group upset with the other two - so much so, that they wouldn't team up in iTrial action years later. Seems kind of silly now - well, it was silly back then, but many people mistake passion for immaturity, and others mistake kindness for weakness, blah, blah.

But, before issue 13, I really liked pvp when I was in the mood for it. Stalkers really bugged me, particularly when I couldn't see them unless I had clear mind from @sinala, my favorite emp of all time. (On an aside, anyone know her? She quit playing sometime after issue 13, never did see her in game again. ) :(

Energizing Ion is right, I think. If the multiple builds had been done first, I think CoH could have recovered from the silly pvp "fix".
Yet, in this case, even hindsight isn't 20/20. We'll never know for sure.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

zanderscotx

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »
I missed the I13 update I stopped playing a few months before that because of  a new born. .  I started  reading up on coh after I herd on the revival that might come. I 13 looks like a disaster on paper. It looks like they sucked all the fun out.

I never played a stalker but I see why people got upset but there was always a counter. Eventually people started building  stalker hunters. My main was a inv/SS tank and ya they got me off guard once or twice but most of the time I would brush it off and Knock them Out. Brutes and I would love going 1on 1 under the atles globe. With the changes I dont see tanks being viable anymore =(

The real reason I came to post on here was this professor guy people were talking about I dont know him or have even fought him. I did read on another forum (doing searches for pvp changes in coh) that this guy was tp people to there death ( npc agro) as a social experiment. 

I see that as cheap because it wasnt his own abilities but  I founded somthing like that in 2005-2006 with a Merc/traps . I usually was on top of the globe in one of 2 zones. I would set up 5-10 mines( forgot limit) and caltops.  The range only permitted a small window under the globe to tp foe it took patients but it was so gratifying to taking out tanks,scrapper and whoever came into your window. Was it a  win maybe but it was 5 mins of setup and sometime 15 min of waiting. lt was by far the most gratifying,.

Most memorable Tank survived initial mine explosions. Serum comando then detonate him = bliss

Another time a regenration scrapper survived and somehow got into flight got a few meters away then spec ops sniped at the same time and like the movies fell to the ground.

I miss things like that, because it eventually became capture the hill they would bring more friends and I would hold the globe as long as I could but once I lost it to numbers I usually couldnt take it back solo with no setup. It sure did take alot to get me to move though.  Those are the memories I missed, I dont believe I griefed people because I was always polite to rude coments and Merc were regarded as the worst MM class. It was patients and knowledge of coh game mech and unlike a stalker everyone knew where I was after the first tp. 

Also the best fights usually  make you the best  friends because you always ask "how you do that."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:35:28 PM by zanderscotx »

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 01:36:20 AM »
Pre-i13 I had fun in Siren's Call with my FF/Sonic defender and Ice/Stone tank.  Then I just stopped messing with it.

I'd always intended to go back into PvP and AS villains with my hero stalker but never got around to it.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

zanderscotx

• Underling
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »

So I found this article today who explains that professor. It made me laff so hard. No one on his server  could figure out  how to kill him. He just used tp foe , you could chain tp him away to a death or even solo do what I did mine up a area in stealth with a buddy and tp him to you. I wish now I didnt pick infinity I would have loved playing against him. People who cant understand how to think outside the box  and instead revert to verbal abuse is a funny  but real mental curiosity especially when you relise the average age of coh was 24. I wonder if he used the police drones or the walkers in the zone.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2014, 12:30:46 AM »
He droned by the hospitals and TP'd people into mobs that would attack them.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Bleed

• Underling
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 06:44:22 AM »

rojahdom

• Underling
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 12:36:40 PM »
WOW HYPER AI, long time , aka E Equals Excalibur

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2014, 01:35:15 PM »

So I found this article today who explains that professor. It made me laff so hard. No one on his server  could figure out  how to kill him. He just used tp foe , you could chain tp him away to a death or even solo do what I did mine up a area in stealth with a buddy and tp him to you. I wish now I didnt pick infinity I would have loved playing against him. People who cant understand how to think outside the box  and instead revert to verbal abuse is a funny  but real mental curiosity especially when you relise the average age of coh was 24. I wonder if he used the police drones or the walkers in the zone.

The article is confusing.

It states that Myers 'followed the rules' set by the devs. Erm, what rules exactly? I guess I missed the memo.

Also the article says that he disregarded any customs set by the players. Hmmm, so he was surprised that people were hostile when he ignored their needs, wants or desires. Curious, indeed! *sarcasm*

It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
The article doesn't state that he just TP-droned people over and over again, and was a jerk in the first place to elicit the reactions he got... nor does it state that for his "study," he didn't acquire the consent of anyone involved, which is a serious ethical issue. VictoriaVictrix on these forums has some posts somewhere abuout it, in greater detail.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:13:53 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2014, 10:55:54 PM »
It states that Myers 'followed the rules' set by the devs. Erm, what rules exactly?

Translation: He didn't hack the servers.

Bleed

• Underling
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2014, 05:35:42 AM »
Translation: He didn't hack the servers.

I did come across some under the map RV players that was a bit lame, I think the article is very poorly written not giving the reader a understanding of pvp or what tp droning is all about, it seems to paint it as a viable tactic. I think they should have mentioned that it doesnt count as a player earned kill within the scope of the game mechanics ie you do not get the pvp reward by droning someone.

I can say that I never came across a single player that sat in the zone tp dronning (and Im glad for that) I did come across alot of people sitting inside pers ff's and in some ways that is just as pointless.

Another lame tactic iwas to hit their tier 9 prior to entering sc run around for just under a minute then bolt out the door until god mode was back up,  saw that quite alot actually.

Reading this really makes me miss coh/cov,  :'(

Supermax

• Minion
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2014, 09:05:46 PM »
I can say that I never came across a single player that sat in the zone tp dronning (and Im glad for that)

Wow, you probably didn't play on Freedom. We had a bunch of these people. I remember there was one guy that got so mad about me killing him, he started stalking me. Any time I'd go in a PvP zone, he dropped everything he was doing and went there to TP drone me. Sometimes sat there for hours at a time just to "kill" me once. This lasted a few months and then he eventually got banned from the game for it, lol.

That's why Twixt never really bothered me, because there were hundreds just like him.

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2014, 09:35:30 PM »
Twixt is what lazy professors do when they've run out of idea's. He actually transferred his toon over to virtue for awhile and the fact that his build was thought out and had multiple expensive IO sets says to me he wasn't playing this just to write a paper about us. He claimed people threatened his life saying he actually believed some of these people were dead serious. It's sad if you really believe someone can somehow gain enough information about you through a game, like these people are all intensely trained hackers who are evil versions of Liam Neeson outside of this game. The ridiculous part about that is if he actually did believe his life was in danger from his antics in a pvp zone within our community, why go ahead and release the article? Sounds kind of bass ackwards to me.

When he came to Virtue I trolled him as hard as I have ever trolled in my life. I made ridiculous threats like I was going to get him pregnant for realzies. I also began to tp foe him into a group of us, hold, stun, slow, immob, etc. The funny thing was he wasn't the easiest target to burst down, he had a decent grasp of game mechanics but I'm pretty sure got annoyed because there's a spot in RV where you could maintain target even after the hero had respawned, causing much grief. I enjoyed that evening very much.

As far as pvp goes, I miss it dearly. It was by far my favorite part of the game since there's no game out there that has designed an enemy that has equal potential for death/damage, AI seems very easy to figure out and I've never been a fan of something that doesn't offer something different every time. Don't get me wrong I'll play it and get enjoyment out of PvE, it's just I'm not eyes wide open and focused intensely on it. I can sit there doing the old click click and get by easily, even the threat of dying doesn't feel that bad because honestly the penalties were not exactly that major. Not saying they should have been either though because that would get extremely annoying. I'm falling off track here...I think I just prefer pvp over pve put simply.

When it comes to trash talk, meaning all the foul language etc. I think in any sport ever there has been immense amount of trash talk, if I'm facing someone off one v one I want to get into their head making sure the last thing they are focused on is performance and the first thing they focus on is winning. At that point it's much easier for them to make mistakes. I mean ufc/boxing/football/basketball/hockey/literally every sport out there has had an incident that involved some EXTREME trash talking, hell Jon Jones even threatened a fighters life a few months ago in an interview. 

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2014, 07:24:35 AM »

So you are proud you stooped BELOW his level? Twixt never threatened anyone (Because THAT is against the rules...and he was quite adamant about NOT breaking the actual RULES of the game). So you trolled him and threatened him...and we are supposed to do what... applaud you?

The trash talk in pvp went WAY overboard...as you yourself just admitted.... It was nothing but foul mouthed sexual innuendo/remarks and threats. I pvp'd from the very beginning to the end...and 95% of the time turned off broadcast chat because it disgusted me.... there's a huge difference between sportsman banter and the vile filth MMO pvpers puked out.

Twixt is what lazy professors do when they've run out of idea's. He actually transferred his toon over to virtue for awhile and the fact that his build was thought out and had multiple expensive IO sets says to me he wasn't playing this just to write a paper about us. He claimed people threatened his life saying he actually believed some of these people were dead serious. It's sad if you really believe someone can somehow gain enough information about you through a game, like these people are all intensely trained hackers who are evil versions of Liam Neeson outside of this game. The ridiculous part about that is if he actually did believe his life was in danger from his antics in a pvp zone within our community, why go ahead and release the article? Sounds kind of bass ackwards to me.

When he came to Virtue I trolled him as hard as I have ever trolled in my life. I made ridiculous threats like I was going to get him pregnant for realzies. I also began to tp foe him into a group of us, hold, stun, slow, immob, etc. The funny thing was he wasn't the easiest target to burst down, he had a decent grasp of game mechanics but I'm pretty sure got annoyed because there's a spot in RV where you could maintain target even after the hero had respawned, causing much grief. I enjoyed that evening very much.

As far as pvp goes, I miss it dearly. It was by far my favorite part of the game since there's no game out there that has designed an enemy that has equal potential for death/damage, AI seems very easy to figure out and I've never been a fan of something that doesn't offer something different every time. Don't get me wrong I'll play it and get enjoyment out of PvE, it's just I'm not eyes wide open and focused intensely on it. I can sit there doing the old click click and get by easily, even the threat of dying doesn't feel that bad because honestly the penalties were not exactly that major. Not saying they should have been either though because that would get extremely annoying. I'm falling off track here...I think I just prefer pvp over pve put simply.

When it comes to trash talk, meaning all the foul language etc. I think in any sport ever there has been immense amount of trash talk, if I'm facing someone off one v one I want to get into their head making sure the last thing they are focused on is performance and the first thing they focus on is winning. At that point it's much easier for them to make mistakes. I mean ufc/boxing/football/basketball/hockey/literally every sport out there has had an incident that involved some EXTREME trash talking, hell Jon Jones even threatened a fighters life a few months ago in an interview.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2014, 03:30:22 AM »
Speaking of TP Droning, a funny (ish) story... There was a spot in Siren's Call where if you had the right flight path, a hero could fly directly into the villain base, and stand next to the hospital door without being droned. One of my teammates asked about it, and for some reason after the conversation I thought we had an understanding that I would Recall Friend my teammate to that spot. So I fly down, and TP the teammate in... turns out, we did not have an understanding, and the teammate was in the middle of running around, and kept running and was droned immediately. He/she immediately posted in broadcast that the villains were TP droning, so watch out!

...I said absolutely nothing :X
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2014, 05:06:37 AM »
So you are proud you stooped BELOW his level? Twixt never threatened anyone (Because THAT is against the rules...and he was quite adamant about NOT breaking the actual RULES of the game). So you trolled him and threatened him...and we are supposed to do what... applaud you?

The trash talk in pvp went WAY overboard...as you yourself just admitted.... It was nothing but foul mouthed sexual innuendo/remarks and threats. I pvp'd from the very beginning to the end...and 95% of the time turned off broadcast chat because it disgusted me.... there's a huge difference between sportsman banter and the vile filth MMO pvpers puked out.

If I tell another fully grown -man- I'm going to get him pregnant and it's perceived as a threat by you or anyone else for that matter then I just have one thing to say to that, wow. I've played sports competitively for many years and I can easily say what's said in broadcast is no worse than what 13 year olds say to each other daily. Maybe I'm just not overly sensitive to this because I've been exposed to it for so long but at the end of the day, it's just trash talk. If some random person on the Internet has the ability to get you so put off that you literally need to turn off chat, that's your own problem. I mean the men and women of military go -way- beyond anything I've ever read in broadcast so I suppose they must all be bad people?  Like do you expect people competing to be all "Hey there buddy you're bad at this but don't give up trying!" No. This isn't a kids show.

If using the same techniques he used is somehow below him then oh well. I annoyed him to the point of leaving much like he did to many others. Imagine being a casual pvp' rand having this guy come in and continually tp you into a drone for no reason other than it's "allowed"? You'd probably get frustrated and leave making your experience a bad one and most likely turning you off from pvp for who knows how long.

Sure he may not have broken the actual rules but in any sort of competition there are usually guidelines most players follow, much like it's not a rule in some wrestling tournaments that shoulder in slams are not allowed, you don't do so out of respect as you can easily break ribs and put the guy out of commission for a very long time. He did not respect the pvp community at all. He was asked nicely to stop numerous times but continued so I did to him what I would do to any bully, offer a taste of their own medicine and double the dosage.

Now don't get me wrong, droning can be hilarious. There's a time and a place for it though. Sitting around doing it the entire time you play is just ridiculous.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2014, 12:42:42 PM »

Oh please.... I so wish I still had my PC with screenshots of the "banter"... threats of rape.. murder.. misogynistic..homophobic...racial slurs (And no I don't mean the N word ending in -ah.. I mean the N word ending in -er)... The pvp broadcast was not like ANY sports team talk I EVER belonged to...and here's a little of your own logic thrown back at you:

This game was rated T meaning 13 year olds could play it unsupervised.. just because the profanity filter could be turned off/on didn't mean you should conduct yourself with F-bombs and racial slurs... I mean it's not against the rules but it is not considerate of the ENTIRE community.. it was not something that would be tolerated by the community at large (Which is one reason some people didn't pvp). This isn't the military full of adults...it's an online game full of teens and adults...Making threats was against the ToS... but people still did it... my most memorable threat:
"I'm gonna find you and force feed my jizz down your throat as I slice it!"

You think that's appropriate to tell a 13 year old girl?? Would you feel comfortable with your daughter...sister...niece...being told that in a MMO?? Really? That's just one of many "playful banters" I received over the years... and no I never droned or anything like that... I just "defeated" people. THAT is why I turned off chat... I'm not some care-bear or sensitive Nelly... I just found most pvpers to be vile disgusting "men" who needed serious therapy for their issues of overcompensation.

Anyways... deny all you want the extent of the "banter"... it was inappropriate beyond belief for many people...and did nothing but hurt the overall number of people willing to pvp. I loved pvping...so for the most part just ignored people because their inability to play in a decent sportsman-like way was a huge turn off.

If I tell another fully grown -man- I'm going to get him pregnant and it's perceived as a threat by you or anyone else for that matter then I just have one thing to say to that, wow. I've played sports competitively for many years and I can easily say what's said in broadcast is no worse than what 13 year olds say to each other daily. Maybe I'm just not overly sensitive to this because I've been exposed to it for so long but at the end of the day, it's just trash talk. If some random person on the Internet has the ability to get you so put off that you literally need to turn off chat, that's your own problem. I mean the men and women of military go -way- beyond anything I've ever read in broadcast so I suppose they must all be bad people?  Like do you expect people competing to be all "Hey there buddy you're bad at this but don't give up trying!" No. This isn't a kids show.

If using the same techniques he used is somehow below him then oh well. I annoyed him to the point of leaving much like he did to many others. Imagine being a casual pvp' rand having this guy come in and continually tp you into a drone for no reason other than it's "allowed"? You'd probably get frustrated and leave making your experience a bad one and most likely turning you off from pvp for who knows how long.

Sure he may not have broken the actual rules but in any sort of competition there are usually guidelines most players follow, much like it's not a rule in some wrestling tournaments that shoulder in slams are not allowed, you don't do so out of respect as you can easily break ribs and put the guy out of commission for a very long time. He did not respect the pvp community at all. He was asked nicely to stop numerous times but continued so I did to him what I would do to any bully, offer a taste of their own medicine and double the dosage.

Now don't get me wrong, droning can be hilarious. There's a time and a place for it though. Sitting around doing it the entire time you play is just ridiculous.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2014, 01:01:27 PM »
Oh please.... I so wish I still had my PC with screenshots of the "banter"... threats of rape.. murder.. misogynistic..homophobic...racial slurs (And no I don't mean the N word ending in -ah.. I mean the N word ending in -er)... The pvp broadcast was not like ANY sports team talk I EVER belonged to...and here's a little of your own logic thrown back at you:

This game was rated T meaning 13 year olds could play it unsupervised.. just because the profanity filter could be turned off/on didn't mean you should conduct yourself with F-bombs and racial slurs... I mean it's not against the rules but it is not considerate of the ENTIRE community.. it was not something that would be tolerated by the community at large (Which is one reason some people didn't pvp). This isn't the military full of adults...it's an online game full of teens and adults...Making threats was against the ToS... but people still did it... my most memorable threat:

You think that's appropriate to tell a 13 year old girl?? Would you feel comfortable with your daughter...sister...niece...being told that in a MMO?? Really? That's just one of many "playful banters" I received over the years... and no I never droned or anything like that... I just "defeated" people. THAT is why I turned off chat... I'm not some care-bear or sensitive Nelly... I just found most pvpers to be vile disgusting "men" who needed serious therapy for their issues of overcompensation.

Anyways... deny all you want the extent of the "banter"... it was inappropriate beyond belief for many people...and did nothing but hurt the overall number of people willing to pvp. I loved pvping...so for the most part just ignored people because their inability to play in a decent sportsman-like way was a huge turn off.

Right. CoH was better than other games largely because the community was much better behaved.
Seeing someone defend trash talking, online threats, insults, etc, is just not what CoH was about, and it's pretty sad to see.

As for trash talking in sports... I play pickup hoops and soccer weekly once each. With GROWN-UP men, not ignorant teenagers. Yes, you might hear some lame trash talking when immature boys get together and play, but that's why they're IMMATURE. I assure you that the grown ups hardly ever trash talk, throw curses, make fun of someone, etc. Saying that behavior is right and proper and acceptable because a small portion of the player base engages in it is just ignorant and I'm happy to see it properly condemned by other PvPers.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »
Right. CoH was better than other games largely because the community was much better behaved.
Seeing someone defend trash talking, online threats, insults, etc, is just not what CoH was about, and it's pretty sad to see.

As for trash talking in sports... I play pickup hoops and soccer weekly once each. With GROWN-UP men, not ignorant teenagers. Yes, you might hear some lame trash talking when immature boys get together and play, but that's why they're IMMATURE. I assure you that the grown ups hardly ever trash talk, throw curses, make fun of someone, etc. Saying that behavior is right and proper and acceptable because a small portion of the player base engages in it is just ignorant and I'm happy to see it properly condemned by other PvPers.
Maybe i was just lucky, but the two servers i did any significant amount of zone PvP in, Champion and Virtue, i encountered almost none of the abusive trash-talking that is usually all too common in PvP zones. There were a few jackholes, but it was generally relatively civil with what trash-talking that happened being more like humorous banter than aggressively offensive and threatening. Admittedly i spent little time with zone PvP and when i did it was usually relatively short or i was there for events organized by players i knew.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2014, 03:09:05 PM »

The more explicit trash talking happened in RV.... It could get pretty rough in tournaments too, but nowhere near as bad as RV broadcast.

Maybe i was just lucky, but the two servers i did any significant amount of zone PvP in, Champion and Virtue, i encountered almost none of the abusive trash-talking that is usually all too common in PvP zones. There were a few jackholes, but it was generally relatively civil with what trash-talking that happened being more like humorous banter than aggressively offensive and threatening. Admittedly i spent little time with zone PvP and when i did it was usually relatively short or i was there for events organized by players i knew.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2014, 03:53:35 PM »
Eh, PVP was fun before i13.

Post i13? Lolno.

Precisely. I really enjoyed PvP in the game prior to the complete revamp in i13. I played mostly in Arena matches and tournaments (to be blunt, zone PvP was the kiddie pool). Abandoned PvP entirely after i13 ruined it...

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2014, 04:07:14 PM »
The more explicit trash talking happened in RV.... It could get pretty rough in tournaments too, but nowhere near as bad as RV broadcast.

Trash talk in Broadcast (PvP zone or otherwise) was never a part of my experience: pretty much the first thing I do when setting up in an MMO is turn off that game's version of that feature. Never had any use for it (I'm a roleplayer, and broadcast/zone chat is the absolute king of immersion breakers), and if I wanted to listen to middle-schoolers acting "edgy," I'd have gone into teaching.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2014, 05:30:29 PM »
i did spend more time in Siren's Call and Warburg overall, but i never noticed a significant amount of the really obnoxious trash talk in any zone. It may have been largely luck, but also on Champion at least the PvP community tended to be mostly relatively polite and welcoming.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2014, 05:49:19 PM »

I understand the racial slurs etc is over the top, but honestly once again I'm not the type to get offended by random people on the internet. You should also keep in mind the ones saying all those N words and offering the most offensive lines are most likely the 13-17 year old kids that play this game. I don't know what fancy school/friends you had growing up, but I can definitely say we were far more foul mouthed then than we are now. I won't lie I got a decent chuckle out of your worst line you've ever heard, but I have a twisted sense of humour as well. Like I said some people just can't handle this kind of talk, obviously things like that are extremely rare though. Out of all the time I spent in RV I think I heard actual vulgar trash talk 1 in 30 times of entry, and I was there literally every day for a solid 2-3 hours sometimes more.

Just to be clear I have a 12 year old niece who plays defense in Hockey, one of the things I taught her is the proper use of trash talk. Some people think it's wrong to let kids swear, I say fu** that. The kids that aren't allowed to swear tend to do so every chance they get as soon as authority figures are not around, I taught her swearing is fine just only to do so around family because we are far more accepting and some people are very sensitive to "bad" words. She knows that these words only hold power if you allow them to do so. My favorite example of this is a gay guy I work with who calls all the boys f**s. It's quite possibly the funniest thing ever when a flamboyant gay man calls some rough tough miner this, it always gets a laugh.

All in all am I defending trash talk, no. I understand it offends certain people that are not exposed to this kind of talk regularly. Do I care if people trash talk? No, because honestly it's not my place to play authority figure, if someone was really crossing the line there's always screen shots and reports. To be honest the report system was abused to brutally it should have been removed if sent from a pvp zone, countless people were temp banned for saying one bad thing and having an entire sg/vg report them.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2014, 12:11:44 AM »
I pvp'd from beginning to end... and I actually didn't mind the changes in Issue 13. Issue 13 required you to adapt your tactics....

Zone pvp... harder than arena pvp - In arena you know you are going to face x, y, or z... in zone pvp you had no idea what was coming for you.. stalker, tanker, blaster, etc etc...

Just to be clear... again.. I am not some care bear who can't handle witty banter... I have worked for the Bureau of Prisons for quite some time and trust me...I've heard it all. My point is that type of language doesn't belong in a MMO that is suitable for young teens. The people who got banned for threatening people... good...they deserved it. Maybe they actually learned that...gasp...there are consequences to breaking the rules. FYI... Most of the people who I saw being completely vile in broadcast... men in their early 20's.

I doubt I will do much pvping when the game comes back... maybe some arena pvp with friends etc. I haven't even recreated my pvp toons builds in Mids yet...think I have grown out of my pvp phase. Then again I may have to create some pvp farmers so I can get all the pvp IOs I want hehe.

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2014, 01:32:53 AM »
I pvp'd from beginning to end... and I actually didn't mind the changes in Issue 13. Issue 13 required you to adapt your tactics....

Zone pvp... harder than arena pvp - In arena you know you are going to face x, y, or z... in zone pvp you had no idea what was coming for you.. stalker, tanker, blaster, etc etc...

I agree with you on i13, it really wasn't as bad as some people said. It did slow things down a bit but it also allowed for not so dedicated pvp'rs to participate. I also enjoyed zone far more than arena. Zone was kind of like going to the bar, bring a couple buddies and have some fun, sometimes it would go on far longer than expected. Arena was like a rec league, it required some time to organize and some people took it far too seriously.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2014, 04:58:39 AM »
I understand the racial slurs etc is over the top, but honestly once again I'm not the type to get offended by random people on the internet. You should also keep in mind the ones saying all those N words and offering the most offensive lines are most likely the 13-17 year old kids that play this game. I don't know what fancy school/friends you had growing up, but I can definitely say we were far more foul mouthed then than we are now. I won't lie I got a decent chuckle out of your worst line you've ever heard, but I have a twisted sense of humour as well. Like I said some people just can't handle this kind of talk, obviously things like that are extremely rare though. Out of all the time I spent in RV I think I heard actual vulgar trash talk 1 in 30 times of entry, and I was there literally every day for a solid 2-3 hours sometimes more.

Just to be clear I have a 12 year old niece who plays defense in Hockey, one of the things I taught her is the proper use of trash talk. Some people think it's wrong to let kids swear, I say fu** that. The kids that aren't allowed to swear tend to do so every chance they get as soon as authority figures are not around, I taught her swearing is fine just only to do so around family because we are far more accepting and some people are very sensitive to "bad" words. She knows that these words only hold power if you allow them to do so. My favorite example of this is a gay guy I work with who calls all the boys f**s. It's quite possibly the funniest thing ever when a flamboyant gay man calls some rough tough miner this, it always gets a laugh.

All in all am I defending trash talk, no. I understand it offends certain people that are not exposed to this kind of talk regularly. Do I care if people trash talk? No, because honestly it's not my place to play authority figure, if someone was really crossing the line there's always screen shots and reports. To be honest the report system was abused to brutally it should have been removed if sent from a pvp zone, countless people were temp banned for saying one bad thing and having an entire sg/vg report them.

The level of offense that you have is not the point. Was it offensive enough to keep people who might have PvP'ed from doing so? The answer is absolutely yes.

I have heard every slur you can imagine but that doesn't mean that when I come home I want to be inundated with juvenile trash talk, regardless of what age they were. Maybe you don't mind your niece being exposed to that crap but I certainly would object if it was my niece or nephew. Hell, I don't want to hear it either.

All in all, you are defending trash talk. When you justify why it doesn't bother you and why you would have no problem with your niece being exposed to it certainly sound like you have no problem with it and since you claim it's no worse than sport trash talk from 13 year olds.

Finally, nether of us knows exactly how old these people were, just that they acted like 13 year old children. Actually, I know that some of them were far older than you think.

AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2014, 10:16:51 PM »
The level of offense that you have is not the point. Was it offensive enough to keep people who might have PvP'ed from doing so? The answer is absolutely yes.

I have heard every slur you can imagine but that doesn't mean that when I come home I want to be inundated with juvenile trash talk, regardless of what age they were. Maybe you don't mind your niece being exposed to that crap but I certainly would object if it was my niece or nephew. Hell, I don't want to hear it either.

All in all, you are defending trash talk. When you justify why it doesn't bother you and why you would have no problem with your niece being exposed to it certainly sound like you have no problem with it and since you claim it's no worse than sport trash talk from 13 year olds.

Finally, nether of us knows exactly how old these people were, just that they acted like 13 year old children. Actually, I know that some of them were far older than you think.

Your last point literally contradicts itself, but yes I did -know- how young they were as many of us were on vent/skype and knew who was who. Just because when you come home you want a zero tolerance policy on all profanity doesn't mean other people care. You're assuming everyone is overly sensitive to the "bad words" you've been taught are bad. Threats are ridiculous I can easily concede that, saying you're going to hurt someone is a totally different subject than making a satirical remark that could be considered a threat by the most conservative folk that walk this wonderful earth.

Honestly about the niece thing, you're making it sound like I'm teaching her to say things in the extreme, when in reality I just taught her that swearing is okay when it's around -family- and not to do so infront of the wrong people.

I really don't think me saying I could care less what someone says makes me a defender of their words does it? That's like me saying you don't contribute to (insert major world issue here) so therefore you must be apart of the problem. It's just not the case.

Words hold as much power as you let them, a hobo on the street could have yelled out the "I have a dream" speech and garnished zero response. If you allow someone the position to inspire, or in this case offend, then there is no stopping them.

If you're that sensitive about something someone you have no actual idea who is saying something to some other random person, or you, then you could simply ignore them. Problem literally solved with little to no effort. Fact of the matter is this kind of talk exists in literally every single MMO that has any sort of competition within it. Sure you could say the CoH community should be above this, but that's just typical holier than thou talk. Being nice and accepting is great, going around telling everyone how nice and accepting you are is just gloating and really nullifies the positive aspects of you.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
You pretty well missed the key point so here it is again: whether it bothers you or not was it offensive enough to keep people who might have PvP'ed from doing so? The answer is absolutely yes.

Let me ask you this: What does it bring to the game? How does it make it better?

Again, there is a difference between racial and sexist slurs and curse words that you might encounter in daily travels through life.

Frankly, the entire idea that we just have to put up with people acting like fools reeks of the idea "Well, boys will be boys. What you gonna do?"

What I am saying, not what you think I am saying, is that excusing and accepting this is exactly why it doesn't go away.

Just saying "Don't let it bother you that's the way it is" does make you part of the problem. There is a big difference between condoning bad behavior and not being able to stop. You and I may not be able to stop it but we don't have to accept it.

But the people who do this and those who are fine with it are exactly why I avoid PvP like the plague and why I never support it. When I introduced new people to the game I warned them against PvP by basically telling them what to expect if they did get involved. Of those who did try it anyway, none ever came back and told me I was wrong. Instead, they just stopped playing PvP.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2014, 01:52:33 AM »
I did misunderstand your point to a degree so for that I can say sorry. I still believe we will disagree.

What it brings to the game is a competitive spirit that without would diminish the intensity of PvP. Psychological warfare plays a big part in pvp, that's why it's so widespread. There's more than one way to defeat an opponent. Now that's a somewhat serious point to be made for something that for the most part is childish banter. If someone really did cross the line, whether it be spamming profanity like an idiot, constant threats to someone's life, or (and this is what I consider the most unacceptable form) revealing someone's personal identity, I would be more than happy to report said people.

I feel like waving the ban stick over some "bad words" is a ridiculous over reaction unless very specific criteria are met.

Personally I enjoy watching some freak out in broadcast against me, it let's me know not only am I the better player, but I have truly impacted this persons emotions to the point they no longer have any option but to insult me in some way. This is hilarious to me. I've said before though I have a sick sense of humour. I'll even go for as to admit this is a stupid thing to enjoy but none the less, I enjoy it. ( far more than I probably should )

There has, and always will be a massive difference between those who love pvp and those that love pve. One thing is for certain though, both groups have idiots that ruin the experience for others. Both have ego driven players that cannot see the humour in how serious they take a game... The big issue here is that when pvp players are idiots an entire zone filled with large amounts of people, if there is an idiot in PvE chances are only 8 or so people will see it. Also it's very difficult to achieve such an adrenaline rush in PvE so the odds of someone acting so childish decreases drastically.

I guess my ultimate point here is, I respect your view, but I just don't see a way of removing trash talk from the game without harming the community. I'd much rather have people say what they want and chance them not being punished rather than have people not say anything afraid of being banned.

Now with all that out in the open I can't see this problem being near as bad as it was. Many of the players of the past have grown up. Not only that I can't see people waiting around this long just to talk s**t to someone :P that's like South Park levels of satire.