Author Topic: Green screening  (Read 8261 times)

Torroes.Prime

• Lieutenant
Green screening
« on: July 11, 2014, 06:25:34 PM »
hey all, I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some information about how to set up a demo that has just a solid color for the background. I know if you leave the map blank you get just the sky, but I want to do a solid color background. Can anyone help me here? really appreciate it.
Strength and intelligence make no requirement of one another. Power demands both.

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
Re: Green screening
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 07:11:11 PM »
There used to be a trick that in a demofile, if you just removed the info for the map (but kept the word MAP at the top), it dropped you in solid white. But I don't think that works anymore... Leandro might know, though - drop him a line.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Torroes.Prime

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 07:17:09 PM »
I had the info book marked, but when I went to look at it, I found it was on the old forums. I know it had to do with editing a pigg file, so I'm assuming it was replacing the texture file that gives us the sky background with a solid color image. But that's the part I don't remember how to do.
Strength and intelligence make no requirement of one another. Power demands both.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 12:17:08 AM »
I know GuyPerfect had a trick he used for creating his character images with transparencies.  It involved replacing a texture with a pure black image and making it appear behind a character, then doing the same with a pure white image and using the two to make a composite using the white and black to create the alpha channel for a PNG.  Something like that, anyway.

I want to say he used some large texture like an overhead door.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 03:54:05 AM »
I'm not sure how current it is, but the method used to capture the emote animations for the wiki, all of which are on a sky background, is here: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Talk:Emotes/Animation_Cohdemo Not exactly what you're looking for, but perhaps a start?

Edit: It also contains a lot of info about how to turn in-demo animation into screenshots into videos, which is not relevant.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Torroes.Prime

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 07:52:31 AM »
I'm not sure how current it is, but the method used to capture the emote animations for the wiki, all of which are on a sky background, is here: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Talk:Emotes/Animation_Cohdemo Not exactly what you're looking for, but perhaps a start?

Edit: It also contains a lot of info about how to turn in-demo animation into screenshots into videos, which is not relevant.

yeah, that doesn't help I'm afraid. I can already make the demo and export the frames from the demo playback which is really all that is talking about. Well that and taking those frames and using photoshop to make a gif of them.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 06:28:34 PM »
yeah, that doesn't help I'm afraid. I can already make the demo and export the frames from the demo playback which is really all that is talking about. Well that and taking those frames and using photoshop to make a gif of them.

Ah well. I thought maybe the demo file that was posted there might give insight as to how to get the blue sky with no ground, which would possibly lead to getting a blank background.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »
If you put the Z axis coords reeeeeeally far below zero, you end up with a flat blue background.

Sadly, I don't know how to do the white bg.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Torroes.Prime

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 05:10:34 AM »
If you put the Z axis coords reeeeeeally far below zero, you end up with a flat blue background.

Sadly, I don't know how to do the white bg.

how deep do you set the Z axis to Aggelakis? I've tried setting it to several billion bellow 0 and I still get the clouds in the background.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 05:55:41 AM »
Ooh. After looking at my demos, it looks like I combine deleting the MAP line along with dropping the Z axis way down. Some of them are -2000, some of them are -5000, it doesn't seem to make a difference to the blue color that results. (Remember, the up/down Z axis is the second number, not the third.)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Torroes.Prime

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 10:59:05 PM »
Ooh. After looking at my demos, it looks like I combine deleting the MAP line along with dropping the Z axis way down. Some of them are -2000, some of them are -5000, it doesn't seem to make a difference to the blue color that results. (Remember, the up/down Z axis is the second number, not the third.)

Right, the coordinates are laid out X Z Y. I just tried setting the Z axis to -1000000 and I'm still getting the clouds in the background. They're a lot less, but still there.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 12:22:27 AM »
Delete the MAP line up near the top.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Torroes.Prime

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 05:02:21 AM »
posted in error. please ignore.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:08:23 AM by Torroes Prime »